Roatan???

Budget Queen

• 2 weeks later...

West Bay is excellent beach snorkel. Reef starts at beach and extends out @ 100 yards to wall drop off. Lots of live coral and sea life. I haven't been there for ~5 years, but there was a snack bar and lots of beach chairs available. Taxi (minivans) ride from dock was 30 -45 minutes with some good views along the way.

By far the best beach snorkel in my experience.

Thank you for your post- is there snorkle rental available- life vests?? How much should the cab cost and is there admission to this snorkle area? Thank you again.

I recall wearing a wrist band, so there must have been an admission. There probably is gear rental, but I strongly recommend you supply your own snorkel and mask. I wish I could answer your questions better, but I took a ship's tour with NCL. That was when they had onboard dive teams who led the snorkel/dive trips. They were excellent guides, all well versed on marine life.

I did a little Google searching. If you can't find the specific info you need, you might try contacting Bay Islands Beach Resort. They have trips for cruise ship pax:

http://www.bibr.com/cruiseship.htm

WE got a taxi driver to take us to Fosters - a funky friendly hotel/bar combination on a beautiful beach - excellent snorkelling at the far far end of the beach, a good hike away. Water taxi rates were exorbitant. Also fair snorkelling if you went a good way in front of Fosters - mostly flat sand but some odd rock formations where fish thrive. The most interesting was a squirrlefish.

Last November we went to the Mayan Princess, not a hotel but a condo complex. The complex was at the time under construction. There was a beach bar and you could rent a chair. No charge to use the beach. Great snorkeling from shore.

We hired a cab at the dock and they suggested this beach. I can not recall how much we paid. The driver had a young man who had studied English in school along with us. They remained with us while we were there and watched over our things on the beach, though I never felt that we were going to have anything stolen. There are a few vendors on the beach selling t-shirts etc.

The road to the beach is paved, thanks to one of the cruise lines I understand. It is a bit of a drive so walking to the beach is not an option. I would also suggest that you bring your own equipment. You'll always have it when you need it, you'll know it's condition and how clean it is. Go to a dive shop and they'll help in your selection.

We had a wonderful time and I would love to return to Roatan.

• 5 months later...
Can anyone recommend good snorkling areas going independent? Any other good touring here? Thank you for your time.

We arrived in Roatan on the Norwegian Dream. We got an independent taxi driver named Tex. He drove us all around the island. We snorkled on the beach at the east end of the island. There is a coral reef nearby. We saw lots of very colorful fish. Tex took us to an internet cafe where we could check out e-mail at a reasonable price. He would stop when we wanted to stop and tell us lots of good stuff about the locals. His e-mail address is texmariaconnor@yahoo.com. We enjoyed our day with Tex. We paid at the end of the trip.

Archived