Where is the Carnivale now???

LHP

I was very sad to read that the Mardi Gras (after being "retired" from Carnival and bounced from one cruise line to another) was finally sent to cruiseship heaven in 2003.

That got me to wondering if that same fate as befallen the Carnivale????

That was our 1st Cruise also and We think one of the best. It was back in 1982 and we were on our 1st vacation and Anniversary Celebration w/o the Children..

It was a joy. great service, great company, great attention and food.

Sorry I got carried away there.

Happy Sailing

Bud

Wow I dont think I would like being on "that small " of a ship. How big were they?

She is not that small at all - much larger than today's "small ships" like the Seabourn or Silversea ships, for example.

At 32,000 GT she is not much smaller than Carnival's current smallest ship, HOLIDAY.

Even though today's new ships are behemoths, and she may seem comparatively small, but she is still a pretty large ship.

I visited her last year and you can see a photo gallery here.

What a surprise to learn that The Topaz was calling at Keelung yesterday 01 March. I went to see the ship and take some shots.

Here is one photo of The Topaz as she looks now.

Regards,

Mike

100_0007.jpg

I sailed on the Carnivale when she was only a few months old and known as the Empress of Britain. It was a crossing from Saint John, New Brunswick to Liverpool in January of 1957. I was 11 years old at the time and it was very exciting for me. It was a very beautiful ship.

Last weekend, I was enjoying some gaffaws watching High Anxiety, as they were airing in on HDTV, and what does my DD first notice on the wall is a Carnival logo.

I back it up, and I find there are two posters right there on the wall, Carnival, all right, listing both the Mardi Gras and the Carnivale.

Odd seeing a 30 year old ad.

BTW, it's in the part where Mel Brooks and Madelyn Kahn are dressed as two old Jewish folk, trying to get past security in the airport.

CIN00346_438.jpg.5b399c175ee599c436b69683ee50b898.jpg

Archived