San Diego's Seaport Village

In Toronto

Seaport Village is a popular tourist shopping area with shops and restaurants. They don't have convenience stores or a supermarket though. If you need that, you would need to go in the other direction.

Seaport Village is about 1/2 mile south of the cruise ship pier...a nice stroll. You will walk right by the Midway aircraft carrier museum (an interesting visit) and the Fish Market restaurant (a good place to eat with a good view). You can also take a cab a pedicab if you are interested. You can easily do this after checking into the ship and dropping your stuff off in your cabin if you get there early. You can eat on the ship, but the buffet is usually very busy. You might want to skip that and eat at Seaport Village.

Thanks Splinter. I think that is what we will do. When we return to San Diego we will visit the area further.

BTW I notice that you were on the Ryndam Sea of Cortez cruise in 2004. Any special hints for us. We have been to Puerto Vallarta before but otherwise all is new to us.

Hi In Toronto

We were on Celebrity's Mercury for a Jan29/07 Mexican Riviera cruise and did exactly what "Splinter" has suggested!

We flew in a day early and stayed at the Hamptons Inn and then stayed for 2 nights post cruise at the Embassy Suites, just across and down a little from Seaport. Both hotels had a free "Hot" breakfast available and the Embassy also offered a Manager's Reception from 5:30 to 7:30pm each evening with free drinks and snacks. Drinks were whatever you wanted and full strength not watered down versions. Both hotels have Bayviews and we really enjoyed our stay and the San Diego sightseeing tours. We did the Old Town Trolley, great way to see lots, you can get on and off where ever during the same day and the "Midway" tour is a must see!! If that ship could talk what stories it would tell!! They have an audio hookup for each person to listen to stories from people who actually worked (not the right word?) on her, pilots, officers etc!! Really interesting! I love "TOP GUN" so I was right into this tour! :D We took the ferry over to Coronado Island and visited the Coronado Del Mar Hotel, what a neat "old" building and we also took a 2 hour Harbor tour which took us up close to the Naval base ships. In all we had a great time in San Diego too. We'll be back; this is such a nice clean city from what we saw of it.

Enjoy your cruise and stay in San Diego!!

Pat :)

I am thinking it's really not too far from the pier and you should have until 4 o'clock but that could be pushing it depending on how early you get on the ship. Seaport Village has lots of shops and little things to look at so it could be at least a few hours there.

Archived