Please sail out of New Orleans...

Cotton

I have to wonder where the Triumph will be going starting in April 2008.

If you go back and read the article I typed out, you'll see that Bob Dickinson said the Triumph will not be going to N.O. before April, 2008.;) So, I'm assuming that's where she will be.

I have to wonder where the Triumph will be going starting in April 2008. The Liberty is scheduled to take over the 7 day eastern itinerary that the Triumph will be doing(the Liberty will be alternating eastern/western cruises). I highly doubt they want two ships doing the exact same itinerary every other week. Plus, can Miami hold four Carnival ships on Saturdays(Liberty, Triumph, Imagination & Fascination)?? Maybe the Triumph will go to Mobile starting in April 2008(it's been rumored that Mobile will have a second Carnival ship doing 7 day cruises soon).

I think the Triumph will eventually end up in NOLA. As per Cottons post, August 08 at the earliest... so not sure what they will do in May with the Liberty... who knows. They could always keep the Liberty in FLL for a while... it's not very far and wouldn't cause problems. I guess we'll see!!

Believe me....Everybody was upset about that stupid, assinine remark! It shows his true character. He later apologized, but half-heartedly. He really should think before he speaks, which he seems to have a hard time doing. (I'm not a Nagin fan, can you tell?) I can't imagine how he got re-elected.:rolleyes:

I got a "Willy Nagin and the Chocolate Factory" t-shirt. It is my second favorite to the one of Loretta Nall (she ran for governor of AL) showing massive cleavage and photos of the other candidates for governor and the caption about which "boobs" you'd rather have for governor of AL. Now I can't wait for Charles Barkley to announce he's running for governor. Hell, Dennis Rodman may as well come on down and throw his hat in too. :D

I have also been doing alot of research on the whole cruise and if you could please send me some links for No. I would like to do some sightseeing while I am there in May. Thanks

2new, Cruise Critic has good info on N.O.; and there are "bou-coux' sites listed when you just enter New Orleans, La. under your search. I'm not sure that the "powers that be" want me to post site addresses on here. I came up with alot of them this way......and also looking for travel advise sites.

2new, Cruise Critic has good info on N.O.; and there are "bou-coux' sites listed when you just enter New Orleans, La. under your search. I'm not sure that the "powers that be" want me to post site addresses on here. I came up with alot of them this way......and also looking for travel advise sites.

Thanks for the info. I understand. I am looking forwad to going. I just got back from applying for the passports. I hated to spend the money, but figure it better to be safe then sorry!!! I will keep on reading on here. That is what it is ALOT or reading. LOL

We had a Triumph cruise booked - the first one out of NOLA. My PVP just called to confirm our $50 stateroom credit for switching over to the Fantasy (it will be our third trip on the Fantasy in a year - kind of hard to get excited about that). I'm considering cancelling and trying out the NCL Sprit, particularly after reading about their newly renovated children's area and children's pool. At the same time, though, we've only cruised Carnival, and I'm a bit worried about trying another line. The PVP even told me he would be afraid to visit NOLA right now - the media is really doing a number on us. I take my kids to the French Quarter by myself - they're 5 and 7 - and I don't feel unsafe at ALL. All the national media focuses on is crime. Even during Mardi Gras, instead of showing all the tourists having a great time, they focused on the few instances of violence. We were out there with the kids at the parades, and it was just like always - crowded, friendly, and FUN. I concur with Cotton - book a cruise on the Fantasy, or take a weekend trip to NOLA - we need you! And you'll have a FABULOUS time!

My sister lives in Louisiana, not in NOLA but in Lafayette, and she does not feel comfortable with cruising out of NOLA. We are looking to go in October of 2008 and she says she hopes that the city is safe enough to go then.

I tell her that it can not be all that bad or there would not be so many people still willing to vacation there, but she is going by local new reporting and does not feel that it is safe. Unfortunately, when some do research it includes veiwing that which is generated by the media, and as it has been mentioned, the media is not revealing the positive sides, but emphazing the negative, which is what alot of folks want to watch on the news.

I have (correction HAD) 2 cruise vacations booked for this year...first one is in April out of Florida and I THOUGHT I was booked for the TRIUMPH from New Orleans in Sept. Not a peep from my TA or Carnival....I have been swamped at work and haven't had time for cruise boards yet. But yesterday I was checking to see if my Sept cruise happened to have changed in price (I booked a balcony) Imagine my surprise when I couldn't find this cruise at ALL!! I searched cruise news boards and found the annoucement...I called my TA and asked what gives? A change of port really stinks! I REALLY wanted a 7 day cruise out of NO. We had things already booked for coming in early and spending Fri and Sat in the French Quarter with the cruise out on Sunday...They are offering, in my opinion a mere pitance for this change after having this cruise vacation booked for passage. It's almost like they don't want you to book the Fantasy.. A $50 cabin credit doesn't do much for my disappointment. They did offer a substantially nicer incentive to go out of Miami, ($200 OBC which certainly doesn't seem to support their statement that Carnival is committed to New Orleans) I really don't want a second cruise this year out of Florida..So now am faced with the dilema of having to pay more than I want for a smaller ship and not be able to get a similar price on a balcony. I wonder if I hadn't happened to go looking for a possible price adjustment how LONG it might have been before I found out this much anticipated cruise was not to be? We love NO and have cruised out of there in the past on the Conquest. It it a great port to spend a few advance days in. We have also vacationed there for a week as a land vacation, before we started cruising and a 7 day cruise out of NO that leaves on a Sunday is ideal. I am so bummed! I need to reconcile myself to the fact that it will be a short cruise and just get over my disappointment. It's still to fresh to deal with, I guess!! I still can't believe I received no notice on this from Carnival or my TA...I booked in early in Jan and paid in full at that time....Wonder if that had anything to do with no notice?

Cotton,

Regardless of what I decide, we will still be in NO this year for a long weekend, even if I can't work it out for it to dovetail into a cruise. I don't have a lot of flexibilty for vacations, so I don't think the Norwegian dates will work for me. I sure hope, though, that as many cruisers as possible support the 7 day cruises there. I would hate to see this port lose any more ships.

I respect the members here who believe NOLA is safe and big mistakes are being made by CC members and the general public who have doubts about NOLA. We enjoyed our NOLA cruise and will cruise again.........but I'm not ready yet. The news may be biased but google the crime statistics for 2006 and ytd 2007 and its not a read that makes you feel comfortable bringing your family to or thru NOLA.

Worst Police Force in America, thats why most people won't go there, totally out of control. A bunch of Thugs with Badges.

In New Orleans, for example, “public awareness of police corruption and abuse reached a new high in the mid-1990s, as dozens of officers were tried for felonies including murder, armed robbery and drug trafficking. ... One officer was convicted of hiring a professional killer to murder a woman for bringing a brutality complaint against him, and another was convicted for killing a brother and sister who worked at a family-run restaurant where the officer had been a security guard ...

” The New Orleans police force, one might add, is only one of many departments currently under investigation by the Justice Department’s Civil Rights Division.

During the 1990s, New Orleans indicted more than 100 crooked or inept cops who had been hired.

I wont even touch that.

And let's not forget Mayor Nagins promise to make New Orleans a "chocolate city" again.

So Mayor Nagin I wish you well, but I will be spending my money where I am welcome.

I respect the members here who believe NOLA is safe and big mistakes are being made by CC members and the general public who have doubts about NOLA. We enjoyed our NOLA cruise and will cruise again.........but I'm not ready yet. The news may be biased but google the crime statistics for 2006 and ytd 2007 and its not a read that makes you feel comfortable bringing your family to or thru NOLA.

That's funny because I travel there alone sometimes, before & after Katrina. I've never had a problem or felt unsafe at any time. I have stayed at different hotels & walk everywhere from Harrah's to The French Market and all along Bourbon Street and the RiverWalk Mall. There is always a heavy police presence & I have never felt safer. I guess maybe living in a big city like Dallas helps one learn to be aware of their surroundings & stay safe.

Hopefully people will continue to keep Fantasy soldout & Carnival will realize the need to move Triumph there as planned. Even though Galveston is much closer for me.....Nola is still my favorite place to cruise from.

Hi Cotton!

I would have love to sail out of NO. I've always wanted to go on the Fantasy. The date was bad for us. I have thought of you quite often and hope you are doing well.

I would never hesitate to cruise of NO. DH has always wanted to go!

Hi Cotton!

I have thought of you quite often and hope you are doing well.

!

Thx Kristine - I appreciate the thoughts, and I'm doing ok.:)

I need to add to this thread that one of my DDs still lives in the Quarter, walks to work and back alone, and goes anywhere she wants at any time. She, like her mom, is very cautious of her surroundings at all times, doesn't do the back streets, and feels VERY safe every day/night. I have no hesitation going anywhere myself - and I'm mid-sixties little ole lady.:D

Brenda - You've been there enough to know how safe it is! Tell 'em girl!

Mikel - I visit my DD quite often in the Quarter. I see families walking around, riding in the carriages, etc. every time I'm there.

The media loves doom 'n gloom and sensationalism - we all know that. It's what sells papers....not a headline like "It was another lovely, crime-free day in N.O. today.":rolleyes:

This is about my home town and it's a mess, but yet you don't see any national exposure and the tourists keep coming here. ...LOL

Brotherly love? It's Murder City

By DAVID GAMBACORTA

gambacd@phillynews.com 215-854-5994

You can bend and twist the numbers any way you like, but there's no getting around this sobering truth: Philadelphia is the most murder-plagued big city in the country.

And, while our homicide rate continues to rise steadily, the nation's other big cities - New York, Los Angeles, Chicago and Houston - are all seeing their murder numbers fall.

Perhaps the most troubling issue of all, some cops say, is that there is no end in sight, no single factor to pinpoint and blame for the City of Brotherly Love's ongoing violence epidemic.

murder.gif

The numbers speak volumes: As of yesterday, 60 people had been slain in this city of about 1.4 million people, compared to 49 at this same point last year.

Meanwhile, in New York - a city of 8 million - the homicide total has fallen 43 percent from last year, from 90 victims to 51, officials said.

Los Angeles, with a population of 4 million, has seen its murder tally drop from 68 a year ago at this time to 50, as of Sunday.

Chicago and Houston have also seen their homicides drop, albeit in slightly more muted fashion. Police officials in the Windy City said 41 people have been murdered this year, compared to 43 at this point last year.

Houston cops said their murder tally dropped in January - the only month for which they currently have statistics available - from 30 homicides last year to 26 this year.

And yet in Philadelphia, the bodies continue to pile up, at a rate of slightly more than one a day.

"The examination of the level of homicides in the city really needs to take place over the long haul," said police spokesman Capt. Benjamin Naish.

"We've experienced lulls where we've gone a week without a homicide, and then we've had periods where the homicides have spiked over a short period of time."

The year started off in horrific fashion with 25 homicides in the first 15 days, only to be followed by a brief but noticeable cease-fire.

"The Police Department is targeting patrols in areas where we have a history of violent crimes," Naish said.

"We're working with the communities, youth-violence programs, and plan expanding curfew-enforcement programs to other parts of the city.

"The success of those efforts will likely be felt down the road."

Meanwhile, homicide investigators have noticed a dramatic increase in indoor slayings - 32 so far this year, compared with 15 at this point last year.

The rise could be blamed on the recent cold weather, according to one criminal expert.

"Initially, the cold weather seemed to have a suppression effect [on homicides]," said Lawrence W. Sherman, director of the Jerry Lee Center of Criminology at the University of Pennsylvania.

"Nobody got shot because they were outside bumping into each other.

"But [the weather] also caused more interactions indoors," he said, "which may have been increasing stress among people crowded in small spaces."

The search for answers to the homicide rate is a fruitless effort in the eyes of some veteran homicide cops. "There's no one thing you can pinpoint," said one murder-weary cop who didn't want to be identified. "It's not just drugs. Our problems are across the board.

"I don't think any expert or politician can come to you and say, 'We're having problems because of "x, y and z." '

"We have to look at these other cities, look at New York, and see what they're doing and go from there."

I wish I could sit down and have a "no PC" straight heart to heart talk with the Carnival "powers that be" about this decision. This would make a fascinating study.

Crime is on everyone's mind, because of all the recent coverage of things like the residents marching to demand more protection, etc.,

But we have to remember that even when New Orleans' murder rate was 10 times the national average...the Conquest was enjoying wonderful financial success there. There was a report that came out in August (just before Katrina hit) about this murder rate...and yet, tourist were there filling the ships every week. Even back in the early 90's when NO was the "murder capital" of the US, we would still go to the Quarter, Farmer's Market and not think a thing about it. So as awful as the crime reports have been lately, that is still nothing new for New Orleans.

I was the first to admit that when I was there in December and walking Canal Street after dark with my family, I did feel an "undercurrent" that I had never felt there before. It was raining, so we did not walk into the "Quarter". We just walked to Canal One and then over to the Riverwalk and back to the Holiday Inn on Royal. But again, crime alone still can't be the main reason... because crime has always been there. People have always known to stay on the well traveled streets, well lighted areas, travel with a group when walking around the River.

So why did the Triumph not book up like the Conquest did? Same crime rate (or worse before Katrina). Basically the same size ship that enjoyed success there before Katrina. Is there anything else that has changed? Only folks that live there or are in the travel business may know the answers.

They have a brand new terminal. That would be a plus.

Are the hotel rooms more expensive than before Katrina?

Is the parking more expensive than before Katrina?

Is air flight into NO more expensive than before Katrina or less available?

Were there problems with the size of the Conquest and the amount of river traffic ( and the narrow parts of the River) that we never knew about; that pushed this decision "over the edge" once the bookings were not there?

Are there some problems with the Port Authority (like Carnival had with Cozumel) that we are not aware of that makes dealing with "New Orleans" less desirable than other ports?

Lots of questions and sadly not a lot of answers. It could be one or a combination of all of these things. We will probably never know the whole answer.

The final answer is always the bottom line. And it may be something as simple as the Triumph's current route enjoying great financial success. Why pull a ship from a guaranteed great income port and place it into an unknown financial situation port?

This is just one of those times when I would love to be a fly on the wall at Carnival to hear all the factors that were involved in this decision.

On a positive note, I thought August 2007 sounded like forever when they told us in August 2006, no 7 day cruises for another year. And it wasn't forever....so perhaps April 2008 won't seem like forever either.

Now back to your regularlly scheduled program...... :eek:

Excellent post, LHP. There's so much that we aren't privy to. We'll have to play the wait-and-see game.

A good thing...

The NBA is holding the next All Stars Weekend (three days) in N.O. next year. There's a mere handful of people opposing this, but David Stern, the NBA commissioner and his board have decided it's safe. I don't think they would bring thousands of folks into a city that they didn't consider safe. (It was held in Vegas wknd before last, and the city took in $14 million - not counting the gambling.)

That's going to be a huge boon to N.O.!:)

Well I grew up 70 miles south of N.O.

Actually used to go on the Levee and watch the cruise ships pass in the river.:D

I honestly don't think NOLA has changed much. Like every major city, there is crime. The biggest problem is that the news media is just focused on nothing but that in NOLA.

Also, people around the country are still looking back at the images from Katrina and relating that to today. They think Spike Lee's documentary was filmed yesterday instead of right after the storm.

Sure there are a few problems, what city wouldn't have them after such a horrible natural disaster.

Cotton, you posted something that everyone should follow.

If you go to NOLA (or any other major city) know where your going. Stay off the back streets and places where you shouldn't be. I've gone to NOLA many, many times. The only times I've come remotely close to problems was because I didn't pay attention to where I was at. New Orleans is a great tourist city with many great things to see.

We're actually holding our 20 yr reunion there at the end of March. Some are skeptical because of the reports. I told them not to worry.

I can't wait for the cruise in June. I'm thinking of booking a room the night before just to go enjoy the city a little.

I live in Phoenix....watching the news here is like watching an episode of cops!!!! I don't see the crime in my day to day life but it is all around me. As for those that mentioned crooked politicians........oh come on now........most politicians are crooked in some fashion. It's the nature of the game and if you don't believe that then you are just silly!;)

As for NOLA......I had wanted to visit that city for years and never did it. Then last June I went to meet up with some CC friends and my old roommate. She had moved back there (her hometown) six weeks before Katrine, she stayed through the entire thing and is still there.....she loves it! I was worried a little about the condition of the city. What my friend told me is, and I quote, "if you close your eyes for the taxi ride from the airport until we get to the French Quarter, you will never know anything happened". She was right..........AND I LOVED NEW ORLEANS!!! We did take a drive to view some of the damage and I cried. Same as I did when I lived in the LA area and went to view damage after the Northridge quake in 94.

NOLA is rich in history and culture. If the party scene is not your thing then take a few tours. Plantations, cooking tours, walking tours,swamp tours,..... something for everyone. Learn something about what made the city so great.......the same thing that will make it great again......the people that built it the first time and the people that are rebuilding it now. Most people like food and NOLA has some wonderful cuisine, not to mention some cocktails that were invented there! Music......all different kinds, but the one thing about any music in NOLA is that your feet start to move and you can not sit still!!!

This country is amazing and has many different regions that make it what it is. I hope everyone will take a trip to NOLA and help out their economy and remember to pay it forward.

My next trip to NOLA is in June for a CC get together again......I can't wait and I've made a list of things to do that I missed last time.:D Plus I won at Harrahs last time so I can't wait to try my luck again!!!! Acme, Gumbo Shack, Cat's Meow, French Market, Cafe Dumonde (sp) ..........the Monteleone, Napolean House, Faulkner Books...........Carriage Ride......Anne Rice House........Trent Reznor's house..........I can't wait!!!

Cotton......can you come visit us all in June!!! We would love to see you while we are there.:D

I think that the Mayor's comment about the city was going to be a chocolate city was inappropriate. If only the "chocolate" spent their money there, he would see how inappropriate it was........and all of the cruiselines would most likely pull out.

Exactly what I was thinking !!!! I recall Mayor "Willie Wonka" Nagin stating that New Orleans was and will continue to be a chocolate city.God wants us to be a chocolate city.Imagine If the Mayor of Greenville,SC stated that God wanted Greeenville to be 'white city". He would be up on Federal charges and kicked out of office immediately.As far as Mayor Willie is concerned, I think what many "vanilla" American heard was "You are not welcome".I guess I will spend my limited vanilla vacation dollars somewhere else.I will also save my future charity dollars for people that have enough sense to get out of a hole when a Cat 5 Hurricane is coming. Good luck down there.With folks like Mayor Willie running the show,you are going to need it!

That "Chocolate City" comment by Nagin was so absurd I can't believe his political life isn't over - completely over. Imagine a white Mayor saying he's going to make "Insert City Here" a "Vanilla City" again? (This leads me to my perception point below)

I don't think any one single reason is making Carnival back out of NOLA - but put everything together - violence, infrastructure, PERCEPTION, etc...

Oh yeah, my good friend is a Richmond cop and he says the NOLA cops are set as examples of what NOT to do.

That being said, I have heard many people say NOLA is a great place - historical place - to visit.

Exactly what I was thinking !!!! I recall Mayor "Willie Wonka" Nagin stating that New Orleans was and will continue to be a chocolate city.God wants us to be a chocolate city.Imagine If the Mayor of Greenville,SC stated that God wanted Greeenville to be 'white city". He would be up on Federal charges and kicked out of office immediately.As far as Mayor Willie is concerned, I think what many "vanilla" American heard was "You are not welcome".I guess I will spend my limited vanilla vacation dollars somewhere else.I will also save my future charity dollars for people that have enough sense to get out of a hole when a Cat 5 Hurricane is coming. Good luck down there.With folks like Mayor Willie running the show,you are going to need it!

Why not ignore the fool and help out the people who need it rather than make businesses suffer because he is an azz? :confused:

Gee... again I get to point out our wonderful Mayor in Philly...LOL

This is what he said a few years ago and no one held it aginst the city or the residents:

Street’s brother-sister remarks draw fire

By Tom Waring

Times Staff Writer

City Councilman Jim Kenney thinks even the biggest backers of Mayor John Street will have a hard time explaining his recent comments to an NAACP convention.

For the past week, Street has been trying to dodge controversy since comments in a Philadelphia Inquirer article on the convention led critics to accuse the mayor of making racially divisive remarks.

“Let me tell you,” Street was quoted as saying, “the brothers and sisters are running the city. Oh, yes. The brothers and sisters are running this city. Running it! Don’t you let nobody fool you, we are in charge of the City of Brotherly Love. We are in charge! We are in charge!”

Kenney (D-at large) thinks those comments are no mere slip of the tongue.

“I believe those are his true feelings. I think this is the real John Street,” said Kenney, recalling that Street in 1993 told rowing clubs to “get off the (Schuylkill) river” if they didn’t find more black scullers.

Street, who spoke to the NAACP on April 13, has apologized to anyone he might have offended. His spokesman, Frank Keel, said it’s time to move on to other issues.

Keel, who is white, noted that Street is a longtime member of the NAACP and proud to be the city’s second black mayor. Keel believes that the mayor was in a comfort zone while addressing 700 people at the convention and simply began speaking in an evangelical tone.

Keel, in response to detractors who believe the comments had racial overtones, mentioned Street’s recent track record, particularly the mayor’s anti-blight initiative that will benefit all neighborhoods, including the largely white Northeast, the spokesman said. The mayor, Keel said, has visited all neighborhoods, not just his political base in North and West Philadelphia.

“I know there’s not a racist bone in his body,” Keel said.

Councilman Darrell Clarke (D-5th dist.) agrees. He worked for Street for 18 years, then succeeded him in Council when Street resigned to run for mayor.

Clarke noted that Street represented a diverse district and always had a diverse staff.

“I never got the sense that there were any problems relating to race,” he said.

Councilman Brian O’Neill (R-10th dist.), a Street ally, said he wasn’t offended by the mayor’s comments.

Still, he’d like to see Street make a full apology or, at least, clarify his remarks. If the mayor would make a full apology, O’Neill thinks he’d be forgiven by white Philadelphians.

O’Neill and Street were elected to City Council in 1979, and the Far Northeast councilman thinks the mayor’s comments were an aberration.

“I’ve known him a long time. He’s not a racist,” O’Neill said.

No matter how one gauges Street’s comments, the remarks are largely true. Blacks dominate many of the top jobs in city government.

The city’s managing director (Estelle Richman), police commissioner (Sylvester Johnson), fire commissioner (Harold Hairston), finance director (Janice Davis), recreation commissioner (Victor Richard), streets commissioner (Willie Johnson), parking authority chairman (the Rev. William B. Moore) and housing authority executive director (Carl Greene) are black.

So are Street’s chief of staff (Joyce Wilkerson), secretary for external affairs (George Burrell) and secretary of agencies, authorities, boards and commissions (Augusta Clark).

Kenney likes Richman, Davis, the Johnsons and others, but he thinks Street displayed an “in-your-face, so there” attitude in his speech.

Calling the speech “extremely divisive,” Kenney said Street showed a lack of maturity that a big-city mayor needs. He fears the comments will hurt the city as it tries to get money from Harrisburg for schools, tourism, hospitality and an expansion of the Pennsylvania Convention Center.

Councilwoman Joan Krajewski (D-6th dist.) said Street should explain to Philadelphians exactly what he meant by his comments. As for the political repercussions, she said it’s too soon to tell.

Krajewski believes that Street’s speech about who controls the city was unfortunate.

“I think it was a dumb, dumb statement,” she said.

Dr. Melissa Brown, a Republican candidate in the 13th Congressional District, released a statement calling Street’s remarks “divisive” and “hurtful.”

Brown said Street should step out from behind his “spokesman apologist” and speak directly to people in Philadelphia and southeastern Pennsylvania.

As for the political reaction, Brown believes that failure to speak out against “hate speech” is dangerous because it can be interpreted as acquiescence at best and acceptance at worst.

Councilman Rick Mariano (D-7th dist.) and Councilwoman Marian Tasco (D-9th dist.), along with Councilman Frank DiCicco, a Democrat from South Philadelphia, did not return calls for comment.

I guess I don't judge a place by what one ignorant person says. I've been there and I liked all the "chocolate" and "vanilla" people, along with the other sprinkles as well!!! Toss in a few candy coated nuts and it turns into a CC family reunion!:D If you listen to dumb, ignorant people you will never go anyplace!!

That "Chocolate City" comment by Nagin was so absurd I can't believe his political life isn't over - completely over. Imagine a white Mayor saying he's going to make "Insert City Here" a "Vanilla City" again? (This leads me to my perception point below)

I don't think any one single reason is making Carnival back out of NOLA - but put everything together - violence, infrastructure, PERCEPTION, etc...

Oh yeah, my good friend is a Richmond cop and he says the NOLA cops are set as examples of what NOT to do.

That being said, I have heard many people say NOLA is a great place - historical place - to visit.

So I hope your friend in Richmond also uses the example of the good cops (there are some) that are in New Orleans. You know, the ones that stayed and helped through the drama of Katrina and tried to keep things peaceful and calm afterward with little to no help. The ones who lost everything themselves and still tried to do their best to maintain order. I think lumping the entire force into one group is just as stupid as the "Chocolate" remark.

In no way to justify Nagins remarks, they were stupid.

But, 2 things to realize.

1) There was alot of talk about cleaning out the 9th ward and making it upscale. Essentially, giving the preception that the Blacks would be moved out and the Whites would be ushered in.

2) I more than sure it was predominately Blacks at that meeting.

Anyways, IMO, that's why he said what he said. And of course politics. It's was all about the vote. Must not have killed him because he was reelected.

Anyways, his comments are just a long line of Dumb comments made by politicians.

The city of New Orleans is coming back and will probably be better than before. Of course there was some terrible damage, but alot of it was unharmed. Never discount the power of the media, both good and bad.

I went to a few N.O.Saints games this year and the city looked pretty good to me.

Archived