Radiance Class Aft Balcony Privacy

funforsun

I was reviewing some pictures of the Radiance class aft balcony and noticed that the divider is slightly angled at the railing. While on vacation, we enjoy sunning (au-natural) and it has never been an issue before on the balcony. However, I noticed that the divider is angled and would like to know if it is REASONABLE to expect that someone could accidentally get a eyeful?:eek: I am not out to ruin someones vacation, but on the other hand, if you are intentionally going to peer over the balcony divider, that is not my problem, and it is rude on your part to do so. We are not "gettin jiggy wit it", just laying out in the sun on our private balcony that no one can see in unless they chose to invade our space.

I learned from previous posts that from above, people may be able to see only a very small amount of a balcony on the 9th deck and that should not be a problem. Still, the angled divider is a bit of a worry for me at the moment.

So, does the angled divider at the rail prevent the accidential eyeful? If it doesn't, I'll re-think this sunning location.

We were on the 10th deck, 1064. I remember you can only see other people's decks if you lean over and peer around. You can see people below you only if they're leaning on the railing. So I guess if you wanted a "full body suntan", keep the lounger under the roof and you should be ok. However you can't predict if someone will peek.... I myself definitely peeked at the suite to our left... vewwy carefuwwy... luckly nothing TV-MA was going on at the time :D

We were on the 10th deck, 1064. I remember you can only see other people's decks if you lean over and peer around. You can see people below you only if they're leaning on the railing. So I guess if you wanted a "full body suntan", keep the lounger under the roof and you should be ok. However you can't predict if someone will peek.... I myself definitely peeked at the suite to our left... vewwy carefuwwy... luckly nothing TV-MA was going on at the time :D

So, if you WOULD have seen "something", would you complain about the people in the cabin?

So, if you WOULD have seen "something", would you complain about the people in the cabin?

Are you kidding?! We'd probably still be giggling about it today ;) .

It's your balcony, my opinion is if it doesn't bother you that you might get a lookie-lou, then go for it! Just to reiterate, as well, you really have to try to look at the other balconies, so you don't need to worry about accidental peeking. Just remember, if you can see them, they can see you :D

If you are close to the railing, the people standing in the Windjammer can look down and see the decks below because the decks jut out further as they go down. When I had cabin 9256, I could easily see about a third of the balcony below mine as well as looking up at those on deck 10 and Windjammer. If you stay under the covererd areas you're "covered" but if you get close to the railing, those above will be able to see you.

If you are close to the railing, the people standing in the Windjammer can look down and see the decks below because the decks jut out further as they go down. When I had cabin 9256, I could easily see about a third of the balcony below mine as well as looking up at those on deck 10 and Windjammer. If you stay under the covererd areas you're "covered" but if you get close to the railing, those above will be able to see you.

GREAT! That was at least part of the reason we selected this cabin so I am glad to know those bits of info. Because the balcony is so deep in the aft cabins, getting real close to the balcony shouldn't be any trouble. Thanks again.

Of course, if you stay under your "roof", then you won't be getting much sun!

Depends on the angle of the sun and the position of the ship. My guess from reading the the posts, that it won't be much of an issue to go out beyond the overhang. As long as we don't get too close to the edge of the railing.....should be good to go!

Depends on the angle of the sun and the position of the ship. My guess from reading the the posts, that it won't be much of an issue to go out beyond the overhang. As long as we don't get too close to the edge of the railing.....should be good to go!

You will find out real quick if you can be seen from the amount of gawkers from above. :D

This pictures shows real well how everything is structured.

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i55/tyrsam/aftwcabins.jpg

pharmaguy: We usually cruise in an aft balcony cabin and it seems on every cruise we've been on, the folks on either side of us always are considerate and don't "peek" over the partition. Maybe we've been lucky, or we're just too quiet, although I doubt that!

Like others here have said, if you stay under the overhang, you'll be private, but there is always a chance for someone to put their head around the partition and see "who's there". LOL! Won't catch me doing that, I think it is rude.

You will find out real quick if you can be seen from the amount of gawkers from above. :D

This pictures shows real well how everything is structured.

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i55/tyrsam/aftwcabins.jpg

Thanks for the pic. I think Serenade is one of the most photographed ships. I could find almost every angle of our cabin, except from the Windjammer down, and how the next door balcony appears from the railing. Every other possible configuration is covered in some photo out there. So, the answer about the angle of the divider not really being an issue only leaves me with the Top Down view from the Windjammer, and I haven't found a picture of that as yet. It looks like I'll have to take one and post it for the Board's consumption! In the meantime, thanks for all the help on this. You all have been great!

Thanks for the pic. I think Serenade is one of the most photographed ships. I could find almost every angle of our cabin, except from the Windjammer down, and how the next door balcony appears from the railing. Every other possible configuration is covered in some photo out there. So, the answer about the angle of the divider not really being an issue only leaves me with the Top Down view from the Windjammer, and I haven't found a picture of that as yet. It looks like I'll have to take one and post it for the Board's consumption! In the meantime, thanks for all the help on this. You all have been great!

I am on the Brillliance in one month I am going to take a picture from the Windjammer and I will have hubby stand on our balcony (9th floor aft) to show you how it looks. Also our roll call mates are in the room next door we will do a test for you to see if we can look around the divider.

We had an aft on the Jewel of the Seas. Love the ship and the aft. Anyway, any person in a cabin balcony next to yours would have complete visability of your balcony if that person leaned out and peered into your balcony. We became friends with the couple in the balcony next to ours and if I looked over in talking with them I saw the complete balcony, not just the part by the railing.

I would think most adults, if seeing someone in the buff would not complain, but if it is a child that peers over, then you may be in for some trouble.

Just remember, there is no balcony on the ship that is completely private.

We had an aft on the Jewel of the Seas. Love the ship and the aft. Anyway, any person in a cabin balcony next to yours would have complete visability of your balcony if that person leaned out and peered into your balcony. We became friends with the couple in the balcony next to ours and if I looked over in talking with them I saw the complete balcony, not just the part by the railing.

I would think most adults, if seeing someone in the buff would not complain, but if it is a child that peers over, then you may be in for some trouble.

Just remember, there is no balcony on the ship that is completely private.

Thanks for the warning. It has never been a problem in the past. However, the view I take is that if someone wants to look over the divider into my balcony area on purpose, it is the same as a "peeping Tom" looking into the windows of my house. It's my space, and I expect a reasonable amount of privacy. The "looker" takes on the responsibility for what they see, not me for what I do. However, if it is open and someone can see my balcony (like some balcony cabins on the Grand Class Princess ships, then it is my problem and I need to be respectful of causing them "difficulty" because there is no reasonable idea of privacy in that kind of situation. Just my own opinion.

Like I said, I can't imagine any adult complaining about anything they might see. But believe me, if a child sees you in the buff and makes a big deal out of it, you could definitely have a problem on your hands. (Like lewd behavior or public indecency). I don't think anyone really thinks their balcony is totally private on a cruise ship. I myself wouldn't risk that just to sun bathe in the nude. I mean, is it such a big deal to have a bathing suit or towel covering you? Just be careful.

This topic made me smile. We've booked a corner aft JS on our upcoming Legend cruise just for the purpose of the occasional air bath.

I am a bit more inhibited than my partner, but not much more, so it's good to know that others feel that the looker, not the looked upon, should be the one to deal with it. Don't stick your head around my balcony wall if it makes you feel uncomfortable.

I burn in the rain, so yes, I will stay well under the roof and hopefully out of the way of prying eyes.

I do hope you enjoy your cruise and your privacy!

From my experience on the Radiance, the design of the aft balconies allows very little air circulation. This is nice for cool weather but on sunny caribbean afternoons makes for such sweltering heat that you probably won't be able to sunbathe for more than a fiew minutes.

We have been in 9256 twice now...my favorite cabin. The first time we were traveling with friends that were in the cabin next door. The first day after checking out our balcony, I heard them on theirs and in order to see the whole of their balcony, I had to get right up to the railing and really stretch to see around to get a good view....and I am not a short person either! When we had that same cabin on the next cruise, there was a couple we had met on CC and the only time we saw their faces was when we were standing at the railing. If people pretty much mind their own business, you should be fine.:D As for people looking down from above, you would have to be out really close to your railing or someone would have to be REALLY bending over the railing from the Windjammer to see much of your balcony.

Rocket88 also had a good point about the air flow. I was on the lounger once and it got quite warm. There just isn't the air circulation on the aft balconies as there is on the other decks or a side balcony. Then again, I guess that's what makes it sooo peaceful out there in the evenings.

Rocket88 and Just4fun715, I REALLY like the heat so this is even BETTER news than I could have hoped for. The hotter, the better so that really works for me. Just4fun715, I can see from the pictures that you would have to really stretch out on the divider side which is metal, but what about the angled glass side? That seems a little more "accidental" viewing prone. I think in 9256 you only have the metal divider and the REALLY HUGE Balcony. I think I would LOVE that balcony. Anyway, Sue L will be taking some pictures and posting them so I hope that those will answer my last couple of concerns. Thanks again to everyone for their help and support. It is good to know that others think like we do! :D

Archived