Entering Canada With A Criminal Record

stbk1998

If you use US Direct you never legally enter Canada, from my understanding, but clarify with the cruise line. You are taken directly from the international arrivals directly to the ship. You must go directly from there, you aren't allowed off the bus and you go directly to the ship. Essentially, you can not see Vancouver at all. But this is strictly with US Direct and there being no Canadian stops on your cruise.

I did just come back. It was a nice cruise, but just not developed for my age group, to be honest.

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to let y'all know what happened on the Victory on her last Canadian run from New York (we were on it).

We were sitting in the hot tub the afternoon we were docked in Halifax and 2 couples came and got in. We had been in Halifax all day and were enjoying some wonderful hottub weather.

We asked the couple how they liked Halifax and they said they did not know. They were not allowed to get off in Saint John or in Halifax. It seems he had a DUI some 20 years ago and he was aware of the restrictions.

He said that there were some 200 passengers affected on this cruise. He said one guy had a DUI from 35 years ago.

Thankfully they were able to go to Boston and Portland, but they were furious that no one told them about the Canadian restriction.

I know Carnival only goes to a limited number of Canadian ports...but it does seem like somewhere along the line with all the info you get that this "point" would come up.

Just wanted to let y'all know what happened on the Victory on her last Canadian run from New York (we were on it).

We were sitting in the hot tub the afternoon we were docked in Halifax and 2 couples came and got in. We had been in Halifax all day and were enjoying some wonderful hottub weather.

We asked the couple how they liked Halifax and they said they did not know. They were not allowed to get off in Saint John or in Halifax. It seems he had a DUI some 20 years ago and he was aware of the restrictions.

He said that there were some 200 passengers affected on this cruise. He said one guy had a DUI from 35 years ago.

Thankfully they were able to go to Boston and Portland, but they were furious that no one told them about the Canadian restriction.

I know Carnival only goes to a limited number of Canadian ports...but it does seem like somewhere along the line with all the info you get that this "point" would come up.

200 people not allowed off the ship! WOW, how long ago was this? We just got back from visiting Halifax on the Spirit. One of the people in our party had a felony conviction 14 years ago and had no problem getting off the ship and visiting Halifax. In fact it took a whole 30 minutes after the ship arrived in port to be cleared by Canadian officials.

I talked to security when we got back on board and asked him about this subject. He wasn't aware of any problems with people not being allowed into Canada by officials. No one on the Spirit was not allowed into Canada.

It seems odd to me that 200 people on one ship and 0 on another. Also, if this was a major problem? I would think the cruise lines would start making people aware that they may not be allowed into Canada with a convictions.

BTW, not being allowed into Canada for a DUI 35 years ago? Heck that older than most of the officials have been alive.....Give me a break....

200 people not allowed off the ship! WOW, how long ago was this? We just got back from visiting Halifax on the Spirit. One of the people in our party had a felony conviction 14 years ago and had no problem getting off the ship and visiting Halifax. In fact it took a whole 30 minutes after the ship arrived in port to be cleared by Canadian officials.

I talked to security when we got back on board and asked him about this subject. He wasn't aware of any problems with people not being allowed into Canada by officials. No one on the Spirit was not allowed into Canada.

It seems odd to me that 200 people on one ship and 0 on another. Also, if this was a major problem? I would think the cruise lines would start making people aware that they may not be allowed into Canada with a convictions.

BTW, not being allowed into Canada for a DUI 35 years ago? Heck that older than most of the officials have been alive.....Give me a break....

I wondered about the post you referred to. I think your comment is the answer.

Perhaps the conversation in the hot tub with poster LHP and Mr. anon pax was a bit of a stretch.

I just do not see this happening at all. (The prohibition) Impossible for the ship to enforce I would think. Can't see them putting your security pass/Ships sail and sign card, into the machine as 100's of other gather to leave the ship and a "Bell" or something goin' off to tell them that this or that person can't enter Canada. And then Saying excuse me sir or madam you have to stay on board.

Can anyone else?

How do they know if you have a past DUI record? Do they ask you? Is this done by computer record? Carol

Direct access to the Department of Homeland Security's database records. The US government provided it as a condition to gaining access to the Canadian Database. If you have to report an error or have a problem with this, address either Homeland Security or your senator. Canada reads the database directly from Homeland Security.

As we have explained several times you can request that the Canadian government clear your record for a fee. The US government has the same policy for Canadians. Pardons don't legally have any standing in either country because neither government has agreed to accept the other country's pardons.

And from my latest understanding, InterPol has been promised more cooperation with US Homeland Security and access to the databases as well, so expect the exact same problems going to Europe as well in the future.

We have 2 couples traveling from Seattle to Vancouver by bus to board the ship for a northbound Alaska cruise in May 2008. One of the individuals was arrested for a DUI in May 2007. He was not fined nor has he been convicted. He completed 10 weeks of classroom for imparied drivers. In July of 2008, we will return to court and his charges will be nollied. Therefore, he will not be convicted of any crime. Charges will be dropped. We were told by the Canadian Consulate that he must bring all his paperwork with him to prove the above info. He will not need to get a pardon or temporary permit to entry to country.

Does this sound correct? We have received several different answers right down to being fingerprinted by the FBI!!

Any opinion would be greatly appreciated.

We have 2 couples traveling from Seattle to Vancouver by bus to board the ship for a northbound Alaska cruise in May 2008. One of the individuals was arrested for a DUI in May 2007. He was not fined nor has he been convicted. He completed 10 weeks of classroom for imparied drivers. In July of 2008, we will return to court and his charges will be nollied. Therefore, he will not be convicted of any crime. Charges will be dropped. We were told by the Canadian Consulate that he must bring all his paperwork with him to prove the above info. He will not need to get a pardon or temporary permit to entry to country.

Does this sound correct? We have received several different answers right down to being fingerprinted by the FBI!!

Any opinion would be greatly appreciated.

If he is not "Convicted", he has no record and no concern at all.

Can someone please tell me...

We will be traveling with another couple to VC in Sept. 2008 and one of them, his DD accused him of hitting her which he did not but the Pros. Att. picked it up anyway and was charged with a Mis. B battery but they think he will be given a plea of a Diversion instead if he decides to not spend the money and time to defend it. A Diversion means that he will have no other punishment but court cost and he has to stay out of trouble for a year which he has never ever been in trouble in his 50 years of life he just has a bad daughter, and it be dropped and off of his record. But we will be traveling before the year is up.

Can anyone tell me what we should do or if they think this will matter getting into VC? We were planning on staying in VC for 2 days pre-cruise.

This was just on the Victory 09-29-07 sailing from New York.

This man (and the 3 other people traveling with him) were livid.

How Canada found out? I don't know other than it is public knowledge if they run your Passport Number. They were all called to one of the lounges and individually interviewed by an official when we docked in Saint John (not St. John). The Canadian official went so far as to say (and I quote) "well, we won't deport you back to the US, but you can not get off the ship."

I can not attest to the number (200). But I know the man in the hottub was refused and the man that had a DUI 35 years ago was refused.

These folks happen to be sitting next to us at dinner the entire cruise. We did not realize it until the last night.

Best as I understood it, there was a letter waiting in the cabin that instructed that they would have to meet with Canadian officials before debarking in Saint John.

It could be that other folks who were allowed into Canada were sailing on a Birth Certificate as opposed to a Passport. And perhaps less info is attainable with a Birth Certificate and a SS number??? who knows... perhaps it was because the Victory had several days before it reached Saint John and this gave Canadian officials a longer time to go over the manifest??

All I know is that people were denied entry into Canadian ports on the Victory due to very old offenses and they were not happy.

Can someone please tell me...

We will be traveling with another couple to VC in Sept. 2008 and one of them, his DD accused him of hitting her which he did not but the Pros. Att. picked it up anyway and was charged with a Mis. B battery but they think he will be given a plea of a Diversion instead if he decides to not spend the money and time to defend it. A Diversion means that he will have no other punishment but court cost and he has to stay out of trouble for a year which he has never ever been in trouble in his 50 years of life he just has a bad daughter, and it be dropped and off of his record. But we will be traveling before the year is up.

Can anyone tell me what we should do or if they think this will matter getting into VC? We were planning on staying in VC for 2 days pre-cruise.

You have plenty of time. I would get the form to get a waiver and have it issued just to be on the safe side.

This was just on the Victory 09-29-07 sailing from New York.

This man (and the 3 other people traveling with him) were livid.

How Canada found out? I don't know other than it is public knowledge if they run your Passport Number. They were all called to one of the lounges and individually interviewed by an official when we docked in Saint John (not St. John). The Canadian official went so far as to say (and I quote) "well, we won't deport you back to the US, but you can not get off the ship."

I can not attest to the number (200). But I know the man in the hottub was refused and the man that had a DUI 35 years ago was refused.

These folks happen to be sitting next to us at dinner the entire cruise. We did not realize it until the last night.

Best as I understood it, there was a letter waiting in the cabin that instructed that they would have to meet with Canadian officials before debarking in Saint John.

It could be that other folks who were allowed into Canada were sailing on a Birth Certificate as opposed to a Passport. And perhaps less info is attainable with a Birth Certificate and a SS number??? who knows... perhaps it was because the Victory had several days before it reached Saint John and this gave Canadian officials a longer time to go over the manifest??

All I know is that people were denied entry into Canadian ports on the Victory due to very old offenses and they were not happy.

How Canada finds out has been explained here many times it's because of USA's requirements for the same info on Canadian entry to The USA. The countries just share this info now. Name and BD is all that is needed to start the process.

The logistics of the rest of the "Story" still leaves me pondering the whole scenario however.

So now although the majority of the ship has been cleared there are those that have been told they can not leave the ship.

The gangways are opened and pax leave the ship. There has never been anyone other than Ship personal visible at Canadian Ports that I have visited on a Cruise ship. Now a days you just put in your Ships card into the computer you're recorded as leaving and you leave. Right.??

Who stops you from going ashore if you are one of the 200 that were told not to go ashore.

Does St. John have another line of defense different from the West Coast ports ?

Regardless I guess one should be aware of the possible difficulties of crossing Borders with a past Criminal Record. You do the crime you do the time and maybe "Ship" happens after the "Time" has been done too.

How many of todays "Offenders" Canadian or American are thinking about cruising sometime years from now when they Toke up or get behind the wheel of a car drunk? Or something worse.??

Maybe they should!.

There are ways to eliminate the Issues through the Government Agencies of the appropriate country so... I guess I going to just leave this topic at that.

• 2 weeks later...

So A question to ask cruise folks. If you on say Carnival from Vancouver and

they don't let you come into canada for what ever reason.

1. Can one fly to the next us port and get on the ship then? I know the

us port to us port, is there a way around that when you not allow to enter

the country?

2. If you attempt to enter the canada 2 or 3 days ahead of time at the Washington state line. Is there way you can get on the US direct from

seatle?

How Canada finds out has been explained here many times it's because of USA's requirements for the same info on Canadian entry to The USA. The countries just share this info now. Name and BD is all that is needed to start the process.

The logistics of the rest of the "Story" still leaves me pondering the whole scenario however.

So now although the majority of the ship has been cleared there are those that have been told they can not leave the ship.

The gangways are opened and pax leave the ship. There has never been anyone other than Ship personal visible at Canadian Ports that I have visited on a Cruise ship. Now a days you just put in your Ships card into the computer you're recorded as leaving and you leave. Right.??

Who stops you from going ashore if you are one of the 200 that were told not to go ashore.

Does St. John have another line of defense different from the West Coast ports ?

I am making an assumption that the same people who received letters in their cabins to "meet with the Canadian authorities" had their Sail and Sign cards flagged. It would not require any Canadian authority waiting on the dock...Carnival Security would handle it themselves when they heard a "buzz" instead of a "ding".

I know because I have heard that "buzz" and that person was pulled aside.

This was not at a Canadian port, but at another one. So I do know that the Carnival Sail and Sign system has the ability to "flag" particular individuals.

So A question to ask cruise folks. If you on say Carnival from Vancouver and

they don't let you come into canada for what ever reason.

1. Can one fly to the next us port and get on the ship then? I know the

us port to us port, is there a way around that when you not allow to enter

the country?

2. If you attempt to enter the canada 2 or 3 days ahead of time at the Washington state line. Is there way you can get on the US direct from

seatle?

1.No, for this particular cruise because Vancouver is the only "foreign port". Or shoud I say, not without a severe financial penalty. ($300.00 per person is what I have heard) The Jones Act requires that "a foreign port" be visited.

2. I am not sure of.

I am making an assumption that the same people who received letters in their cabins to "meet with the Canadian authorities" had their Sail and Sign cards flagged. It would not require any Canadian authority waiting on the dock...Carnival Security would handle it themselves when they heard a "buzz" instead of a "ding".

I know because I have heard that "buzz" and that person was pulled aside.

This was not at a Canadian port, but at another one. So I do know that the Carnival Sail and Sign system has the ability to "flag" particular individuals.

Thanks for the comments but I doubt that Canada or any other country would count on a Cruise ships Security to keep people out of that Country. Do you?

Interesting thinking all this through though eh?

Thanks for the comments but I doubt that Canada or any other country would count on a Cruise ships Security to keep people out of that Country. Do you?

Interesting thinking all this through though eh?

Really??? Who do you think all these countries with cruise ports work with on each and every ship....Funship Freddie???

Customs of every country work closely with the head of Security on each and every ship. This is why manifests must be submitted and reviewed.

Does anyone know how this will be affected by the Fed, Real ID program where you will be able to travel to & from Canada with the right Id or driver's license?

Here in BC they are, along with the State of Washington trying to get this program up and running asap. I think that it will work a bit like the Nexus program. If you have "Criminal Record issue" you will not be able to enter the program.

The Nexus program keeps evolving also and they are starting to see that an Appeal process (That works) is needed regarding why you are turned down/removed from that program. The DL program will have the same problems I'm sure.

I expect it will be work in the near future out here or they are sure trying to make that happen. Washington State sure has more to gain now with the $ being in our favour. So it will likely happen sooner now.

• 2 weeks later...

If you are interested in traveling to Canada, you may find the following article useful:

http://recordgone.com/articles/entering_canada_criminal_record.htm

The article gives a short, step by step outline of what people traveling to Canada with a criminal record need to do. To sum it up, the article recommends expunging your criminal record and leaving yourself plenty of time prior to traveling.

Best of Luck!

• 2 weeks later...

Just wandering if anyone knows of a way to look up the info that Canada has on you so you can see ahead of time if there could be a problem.

My DH got a ticket for reckless driving about 5 years ago because he passed someone on a double yellow going about 2 mph in a 40 mph zone because he was trying not to be late for work. Wouldn't you know, a cop was hiding up a head.

Also when he was about 19 he was pulled over for driving under the influence. So, even though this was almost 20 years ago, I'm worried they could see it and prevent us from entering. I would really like a way to see what they can see a head of time. Thanks in advance for your help.

Just wandering if anyone knows of a way to look up the info that Canada has on you so you can see ahead of time if there could be a problem.

My DH got a ticket for reckless driving about 5 years ago because he passed someone on a double yellow going about 2 mph in a 40 mph zone because he was trying not to be late for work. Wouldn't you know, a cop was hiding up a head.

Also when he was about 19 he was pulled over for driving under the influence. So, even though this was almost 20 years ago, I'm worried they could see it and prevent us from entering. I would really like a way to see what they can see a head of time. Thanks in advance for your help.

It's the exact same data that the FBI has on their computers. Go to the local police and ask them. They should be able to print out his record. Or you can get a copy from the FBI. The cost is quite reasonable.

The reckless driving is likely not a concern. The concern is over indictable offences and that is likely just a summary offence. The impaired driving charge is long enough that he should be deemed rehabilitated.

If you are flying as an FYI all information is provided to customs on everyone on the flight. Homeland security issues I believe. You are taking your chances coming through Canada-we may not be as strict as the US but why take the chance. Have a great cruise.

• 1 month later...

I'm glad I found this topic. My problem has a twist. I'm a U.S. citizen and I got a ticket in Canada for making a U-turn on an expressway.

If this offense happened in the U.S., it probably wouldn't be a problem, but because it happened in Canada, people who often travel across the border tell me I won't be admitted into Canada.

A lot depends on what they consider "dangerous driving", which makes one inadmissable. Is a U-turn "dangerous driving"? This decision could likely be at the discretion of the border crossing personnel, what kind of the day he is having, and if he doesn't like the color of my coat.

So here I sit with my train ticket to Vancouver and a deposit on a cruise originating in Canada. I don't want to spend another $200 for the Canadian government to "pardon" my offense, but if I want to cruise, I might not have a choice.

Now what do I do????

Archived