Roatan Excursions - NEED HELP!

MizzouMary

Hello, has anyone gone on the Carnival Parrot Tree Beach Party or the Tabyana Beach Day excursions? If so, which would you recommend and what was the total cost for the excursion. I wish Carnival would just post their prices on their excursions! This is very frustrating when trying to plan a budget. What is the big secret anyway??? RCCL posts their prices.

Which beach is the best in Roatan and is it safe to eat at the restaurants around the island?

We thought about ordering room service the night before and taking a few sandwiches with us the next day in a small cooler bag, but I had heard that security will confiscate any food before taking it on the island, especially fruit. What are your thoughts on this?

Thanks for your help!!

Best beach on Roatan is West Bay Beach; you can get there either direct via taxi OR by taking a cab to West End 7 catching a water taxi from the dock by Fosters Restaurant in West End. The water taxi is a nice, relaxing 5 minute boat ride that takes you along a quite pretty shoreline.

There are plenty of good restaurants in both West End and in West Bay communities. As in most 3rd world countries, you probably don't want to drink the tap water. Stick to bottled water, soda or beer. The local beers are Port Royal and Salva Vida; both are quite good.

I've been to Roatan many, many times & co-own some property on the island. It is quite beautiful. I hope you enjoy your time there.

• 2 weeks later...

Just got back from Roatan....when you get off ship, turn right and walk a ways.

Taxis all over the place. Find a driver that speaks English and barter for the ride. My daughter and I paid $20 (total, not each!) for cab to West bay and he waited for us until we were ready to leave. You only pay at the end of your day. We snorkeled, swam and just enjoyed the incredible beach. You don't need to pay for a tour....just go on your own. There are Ocean kayaks for $10. Take your own water. We were there for few hours and then he took us back to town for shopping. What I found is that there is no need to pay for expensive tours in Roatan.

p.s. there are sand fleas that leave a red bite.....you don't feel them bite and they don't itch if you don't scratch......just look hideous.

Thanks for the info. I have heard about sand fleas but have never been bitten, or at least didn't know I was bitten. I heard you itch really bad. Is there anything you can put on, e.g. a certain type of suntan lotion or Off spray to deter them from biting? My nephew's wife went to Cancun and got a lot of bites while there and was flying home on the plane and a lady on the plane had some type of antibotic cream she was using on her bites. Does anyone know??

Also, did you feel pretty safe at the beach while you were there? Were there any places to eat lunch or get bottled water? Did they have any chairs or umbrellas, palapas or shade trees?

Thanks!

Regarding the sand fleas/sand flies/noseeums/flying teeth:

A good repellant with Deet (di-ethyl-something something something) will work to repel the insects, but it has to be pretty strong (i.e. 20% or so at least). I typcially use either Deep Woods Off or Cutter when I'm on the island. Apply liberally; note that you will need to reapply after a swim. Also note that deet is nasty; you don't want it in your eyes, on your lips, etc, and it WILL melt plastic, so be careful with any dive or snorkel gear.

On the island, they sell a product called 'Cactus Juice' that is all-natural. Some friends swear by it; I had decent results with it (not perfect but better than nothing). I've also seen it in some stores in Florida, and have been told that some places in Texas also carry it (grocery stores, etc).

The bugs like me very much; wifey doesn't seem to have nearly as much problem as I do. I tell her it's 'cause I'm sweeter.

Thanks for the info. It almost sounds like more pain than enjoyment. Maybe we should just stay on the ship! LOL:)

I would not consider staying on the ship. Roatan is a lovely island with wonderful people. We have been there twice and never gotten a bite, but will use Deet or something this time. If nothing else you need to hire a taxi and see one of the beaches.

NMNita

The first time we took the Tabyana Beach tour offer through the ship. The snorkeling was the best I have ever done. Am I a totally experienced snorkeler, no, but have snorkeled serveral times including Hawaii, St Thomas, and about 5 or 6 other places. The food was good, but nothing to write home about The second time we hired a driver when we got off the ship. He was awesome; took us on a tour of the island, took us to a couple of shopping malls (I am sure he got a kickback) LOL and dropped up off at half moon bay at a mini resort for lunch and snorkeling. The people were wonderful, the snorkeling, not wonderful. He later picked us up and took us back to the ship. I think it was about $20 a person. Lunch was great at about $5 and the beer and run drinks only a few dollars. Our next trip (November 13) we are going to do the Salt and Pepper tour. Beleive me, the island is just wonderful. Yesterday I was shopping at a local store (yes we do have a couple of stores in our area. LOL) I was talking to a gal who was cruising a few weeks before us but out of NOLA. She had done Belize and Roatan last year and was turned off by the 3rd world atmosphere. It wa really too bad cause Roatan is just so lovely as are the people. She is going to Grand Cayman and Jamaca. I would take Roantan anyday over Jamaca. Just my opinion you understand. NMNIta

• 2 weeks later...

My two cents on Roatan - All Positive !! (see detailed thread on Canopy tour above ). Do not take a ship tour, as they charge for nothing, and it's like a cattle drive with their crowds. Get a driver and car or van, for about $10-15 each near the dock gates and go where you want. Do the Canopy tour for $35 each (a must for anyone), then go to the West End beachs (they are all next to each other) and enjoy the water and sand. There were zero bugs that my family of 7 found there in 4 hours, the water was wonderful, sand great, snorkeling fair, scuba above average due to coral formations (low fish and color count off this beach but cool coral). Prices were very fair and people were great.

We stopped to shop near the dock, bought nothing as it is trinkets mostly. The locals were low key and we enjoyed watching the school kids in uniform walking everywhere. There was a school in session on the main road near teh dock and it was fun looking in the windows and watching them recent their lessons. We saw more poverty in Belize than here and felt safe the whole time.

Hi KWW, could you please elaborate on the canopy tour? I read the other thread and I guess I am missing something. There are 7 in our group and we were thinking about taking the Carnival Tabyana Beach excursion. My sister, who loves to horseback ride, would like to take the Tabyana Beach & Horseback Riding combined tour offered by Carnival. Do you know if this tour is offered when you get to Tabyana Beach. The Carnival price does seem a little steep (85.00 pp for the beach and horseback riding and 35.00 pp for just the beach). You stated that you went to Tabyana for just 15.00, was that pp? Please forgive me if you have already covered this. Thanks for your help!!

We, too, were in Roatan last week on the Paradise. We all LOVED it! Did a tour-type thing with a place called Bay Islands Beach Resort. There were perhaps maybe 40 people at this resort, and most of them were scuba divers who were gone most of the day out on boats. We basically had the place to ourselves. They only allow so many cruise visitors in a day, so it will never be crowded. Plus they provide transportation to and from the pier. We snorkled, had lunch and just hung out. Everyone there was friendly and helpful, and the snorkeling was great. I would say that you should see the island -- either do the taxi thing or set up some kind of tour, just not through the ship. People we talked to said it was pretty crowded.

Anyway, if you want to look up Bay Islands, there's a Web site: http://www.bibr.com. Plus, they will send you a CD that describes the place very well.

I wanted to go there during our stop, but when I emailed them about doing the canopy tour and snorkling through them, they said the canopy tour was closed to all except cruise ship excursions when a ship was in port.That doesn't sound right does it?? how far is bay Islands Resort fomr the canopy tour place?

• 2 weeks later...

We have been twice and loved it! Both times have been with NCL. The first time we did Tabyana beach - it was nice, good snorkeling, they had kayaks you could rent, I didn't see any horseback riding right there, though. Lunch was included, there was a bar so you could purchase water, soda, alcohol.

The second time we did a ship excursion called Catamaran sail & snorkel. A bus took us to a resort (sorry, don't remember the name) on the West end, we took a little motorboat out to do some snorkeling - great guides, lots of fish. Then we drove a little ways to a catamaran and took about a 45 minute ride - it was great, lots of beer and other drinks, scenery was excellent. We came back to the resort and had lunch, then walked around the town a little. Never felt crowded - I would guess there were only about 20 - 30 people on the tour and they split us into 2 groups (one was snorkeling will the other was on the catamaran). Then they drove us back to the ship. We've never had problems with bugs (always took spray because we were warned, but always forgot to put it on). There was a little bar/restuarant down the road that looked like it might be a good place to eat.

I enjoyed being in the West end area better than Tabyana beach (just because we had time to explore a little on our own, were as on Tabyana beach you're just there) and I had two teenage boys with me - 17 &18 - who loved it!

We specifically chose to do the same cruise again because of the stops in Roatan & Belize. I highly recommend this as a cruise port - it's a lovely island.

• 1 year later...

For Carnival prices all you have to do is click on book it. The prices and times of the excursions will come up. You don't need to buy it, just cancel or hit the back button. We were able to see several time slots when offered.

We went to Roatan in July and booked the Carnival Zipline and Tabyana Beach break (~$80 pp I think). A bus took us to the zipline (we were the first of the day) that ended in Gumbalimba Park. The bus then took us to Tabyana beach. They have chairs, kayak and snorkeling rentals, food, free water and punch, sun or shady areas. We had no trouble with sand fleas, although we had applied DEET earlier (for the zip lining). However, we were in and out of the water and never reapplied the bug repellant - no bites at all. Friends hired a driver (Juan Carlos) for the day and had a great time as well. Either option is a great way to go. We loved it. Don't stay on the ship, it's a beautiful island and I'm so glad we had the chance to go through the jungle and go snorkeling.

Roatan is a beautiful island & the people are very friendly. It's one of our favorite ports. We've been there twice. The first time went to Tabayna Beach through NCL excursion. It was great. The second time booked a car/driver for the day through Victor Bodden. Victor met us at the dock & introduced us to our driver. It was a wonderful day. Our driver, Ali, was a great guy. They will take you anywhere you want to go & make recommendations. We went on a tour of the island making many stops. When we go again, we will definitely book through Victor again. He has a web site & we booked on-line. No payment required until after your day has ended. Have a great time.

Archived