Civil Union Ceremony on Explorer of The Seas

rcoasterz

Hi folks,

My partner and I are being as close to "wed" as we can get in New Jersey in April. Our civil union will just be in the presence of our 2 witnesses and a justice of the peace. Although we'll be having our civil union prior to the cruise, we were thinking perhaps it might be nice to have something more ceremonious on the ship to celebrate. Two questions:

1) Aside from a ceremony in the chapel prior to sailing, is there anything celebratory that you'd recommend for us while onboard?

2) Would it be an issue that it's a same-sex civil union?

Thanks for your help.

John

Congrats to both you and your partner, John. After watching Rosie's cruise, I have wondered about this. Have you tried the G&L board for answers? There may be some who have already had civil unions on board there.

The same-sex thing won't be an issue.

Depending on how deep your pockets are, you could arrange a private reception (they use the card room below the chapel for this). You could also host a "reception" in one of the specialty restaurants. At $20 a head, it's way cheaper than donig the same thing on land! I suspect the room would be rather empty the first night.

You could also call the ship and ask them to send one of the photographers. They are pretty good and then you would have an assortment fo pictures to choose from.

Here's a link to the RCL wedding page, in case you haven't seen it.

Lastly, congratulations! It's a big commitment and it's great that you found someone to make it with.

Congratulations! I'm with the others, I don't think RCCL cares about anyone's orientation, as long as you're willing to fork over the dough. :D

I love Schplinky's idea of hosting a reception in one of the specialty restaurants. Personally, I think I'd look into having a friend officiate the ceremony on a beautiful beach somewhere, and having the reception at Chops that evening. My hubby and I looked into having a vow renewal on Mariner a couple of weeks ago, and were shocked that it would be $400 just for the priveledge of standing across from each other and saying "I do, again." We opted to save the money toward a future cruise. However, if we had a ton of people with us to celebrate, we could have bought a lot of dinners at Chops.

I think the idea of having something onboard to celebrate is wonderful, I just think RCCL charges absolutely outrageous prices for commitment /wedding/renewal services, when you can put something together yourself for a fraction of the cost.

Good luck, and please let us know what you decide on!

Thanks all for the great ideas! I think I'll make up little invitations and leave them at our friends' staterooms on the first night inviting them to join us for a bottle of champagne at the Champagne Bar to celebrate. We'll be dining with them in the main dining room throughout the cruise, so I think champagne might be a nice treat.

Thanks again!

Congrats to the 2 of you.

My partner and I, rather I refer to him as my hubby, had our Civil Union on Dec 31 2005/New Years Eve, here in Connecticut.

We have been together over 9 years and understand your exuberance to do it right on a cruise.

Last summer we were on the Rhapsody in Aug as a qausi-vacation and mini-honeymoon. We didn't have a real one after New Years.

This year I finished my Masters degree so we're doing a 13day TransAtlantic from Galveston to Barcelona in April.

As people have said before your money is still green, it spends well, after 5 years of cruising we haven't had any issues

Once again, congrats and we wish you many more years.

Brian & Kevin

mspink98: Is there a CHOP's on EOS? I keep reading everything everywhere and I can not find an up to date answer for this.

OP: Congratulations:) I hope your partnership is all that you want it (actually make it) to be, because being in a committed relationship can be lots of work at time (but well worth it);) ;)

When I am not going on vacation, I work with people/couples and it surprises me sometimes how persons will put more effort into "wanting" than "doing".

LOVE IS A VERB, NOT A NOUN/ADJECTIVE

mspink98: Is there a CHOP's on EOS? I keep reading everything everywhere and I can not find an up to date answer for this.

OP: Congratulations:) I hope your partnership is all that you want it (actually make it) to be, because being in a committed relationship can be lots of work at time (but well worth it);) ;)

When I am not going on vacation, I work with people/couples and it surprises me sometimes how persons will put more effort into "wanting" than "doing".

LOVE IS A VERB, NOT A NOUN

No Chops on EOS, only Portofino

My Partner and I are thinking about going on Liberty of the seas in september with a group we went on mariner of the seas last year.

We are hoping to have a small ceremony on board as well. Keep us posted on how it goes with everything....advise is always welcome!

Schplinky- I saw that your going to be in our area soon! We are in Kissimmee which is very close to port canaveral. We love meeting fellow cruisers! email is Racinquick@aol.com

• 4 weeks later...
My Partner and I are thinking about going on Liberty of the seas in september with a group we went on mariner of the seas last year.

We are hoping to have a small ceremony on board as well. Keep us posted on how it goes with everything....advise is always welcome!

Schplinky- I saw that your going to be in our area soon! We are in Kissimmee which is very close to port canaveral. We love meeting fellow cruisers! email is Racinquick@aol.com

We've opted to not do a ceremony on board since we're already having the official ceremony this Thursday in NJ. Instead, we'll just crack open some champagne at the champagne bar. I have 6 more months to wait for the cruise!!! Hope you're all doing well.

John

Congratulations and all the best for a long happy healthy life together.

Glad the previous posters assured you that RCL would have no problem so you can go ahead with your plans and just enjoy this special time.

Archived