snorkeling?

caribbean2000

Hi - need a recommendation for a beach for the day. We've visited Barbados three times, and will be back next year. One time we went to Folkestone Marine Park - the snorkeling was OK but the "beach" is a beach in name only, the grounds were pretty dirty and the vendors very aggressive. Last April we took the Silvermoon I for the day, and while it was nice, I would like to find a beach we can get to by taxi, won't be too crowded, is pretty and has at least a small place to get food and drink, and has good snorkeling. I've read that Miami Beach in Oistens might be such a place? Please advise + thanks!!

Gene and Kathy from Cape Cod

• 2 weeks later...

We found that Accra Beach was the perfect spot for relaxing on the beach and snorkeling. We were on the Carnival Destiny in 2006. We chose a taxi from the dock and he took us to Accra Beach in about 20 minutes. Once there, we were greeted by the beach service who set us up with chairs and an umbrella for $20. We brought our own gear. About 50 yards off shore there is a man-made reef that is marked by bouys at each end. Swim out to the bouy on the right and then swim paralell to the reef to your left. We found the water very smooth and teaming with fish. You can swim either on the beach side or the deep water side of the reef. We spent the entire day there. There is a changing room/restroom located there along with a few vendor shops and a cute beach bar/restarurant called Chicken George's. Accra Beach is lined with some nice, upscale resorts and wasn't crowded during our visit. We plan to return to Accra Beach in May,2007 on the Destiny again.

We hope this helps.

Wayne and Cathi

Miramar Beach, Fl.

• 3 years later...

I am going to say that the reef is about 60 yards long. It is clearly visible on Google Maps and Google Earth if you would like to see for yourself. Rockley Beach(Accra beach) is exceptional...There is Accra Hotel located right on the beach. Also across the street is JustGrillin'... A fantastic and inexpensive spot to eat lots of good home made food. (including flying fish!!!). There are many boutiques in the area... It is my favourite beach. The sand has a pinkish hue, and the water is some calm, but can tend to get quite rough at times. I leave in 4 days for Barbados for 3 weeks again. Looking forward to it.

I am going to say that the reef is about 60 yards long. It is clearly visible on Google Maps and Google Earth if you would like to see for yourself. Rockley Beach(Accra beach) is exceptional...There is Accra Hotel located right on the beach. Also across the street is JustGrillin'... A fantastic and inexpensive spot to eat lots of good home made food. (including flying fish!!!). There are many boutiques in the area... It is my favourite beach. The sand has a pinkish hue, and the water is some calm, but can tend to get quite rough at times. I leave in 4 days for Barbados for 3 weeks again. Looking forward to it.

I will love to hear your updated report upon your return.:)

Archived