best photo sharing website???

http://photobucket.com/ is another.

One thing to remember is you get what you pay for. The free photo hosting sites have restrictions that I find annoying and they have advertising which takes up space. IMO, webshots is one of the lowest quality sites.

Spend a little an get more control over your photos and NO advertising. http://www.allenhost.com/photohost.html

I have used Webshots for years and love it. As a free memeber you can only upload so many photos. I pay the yearly membership of $23.00, so I can upload many photos. Currently, I have 22 photo albums of all our vacation pictures since 2000. Webshots recently did an renovation of their site and the way uploaded pictures display. I like that it's easy to use and that I can cut, crop and adjust pictures before uploading.

There are several pictures sites out there, but as stated you get what you pay for.

I personally use PBase (http://www.pbase.com). It's $23/yr. for 400 MB of space. It's easy to use right out of the gate and has a lot of display options, but if you know anything about style sheets and html, you can customize it rather nicely. Another plus is that, unlike most of the sites like Webshots, Snapfish etc, it doesn't bombard visitors with ads. You can try it for free for a limited time.

Most folks don't upload full-rez photos or store their originals online, so you can expect to get 4,000-5,000 photos displayed at 1600 x 1200 for the $23/yr. If you want more space, you can pay for it at and additional $23 per 400MB per year.

My site is at http://www.pbase.com/pierce324 if you want to check it out.

Dave

I am a avid photographer and semi-pro (read: hope to sell one day) and swear by Smugmug.com You can see my travel pics and how different they allow each gallery at www.sakedad.smugmug.com

I pay 23.00 a year but they have basic for free....hope you enjoy it. It;s very easy to upload even if you don't adjust them from original size.

I am a avid photographer and semi-pro (read: hope to sell one day) and swear by Smugmug.com You can see my travel pics and how different they allow each gallery at www.sakedad.smugmug.com

I pay 23.00 a year but they have basic for free....hope you enjoy it. It;s very easy to upload even if you don't adjust them from original size.

Your pictures look good, but the elephant does not look real.

A larger question would get you a better answer. The best approach to everyting for photos on computers is picassa2 with its seamless interface with picassawebalbums. The free limit is less than 4MB but I think over two months you could upload them all. Why have separate programs for your camera, your photo editor, your online sharing system or whatever cluttering up your desktop? It starts with a gmail account, which is also free.

WIT

A larger question would get you a better answer. The best approach to everyting for photos on computers is picassa2 with its seamless interface with picassawebalbums. The free limit is less than 4MB but I think over two months you could upload them all. Why have separate programs for your camera, your photo editor, your online sharing system or whatever cluttering up your desktop? It starts with a gmail account, which is also free.

WIT

Agreed! If you are just starting out with your photos on your computer and no hosting site, Google's Picasa and the associated web albums is the easiest way to go. I use Picasa to organize my photos but don't use the web album much (only because of a long history with Pbase). It is, however, an excellent program and very integrated wuth Gmail. You get 250 mb for free and 6.25 GB for $25/yr.

I have found no better organizer than Picasa at any price. It took me 6½ hours to organize my photo folders into Picasa when I first set it up. I already had them well organized, but creating albums and collections for 40,000 photos in that little time is a testament to ease of use.

Try it...it's free!

Dave

Another PBase user here - feel free to view my galleries: (www.pbase.com/zackiedawg).

BTW - to add to what Dave said, PBase has bumped the basic account up to 500MB for $23...so even more of a bargain than before.

How you intend to use the online site is most important:

1. Do you want to use this as an official backup option for all of your photos at maximum resolution?

If yes, then you will have to spend alot of money and upload the whole 4GB of photos. Many of the sites listed above that show 5GB of space available may not work - note that they all have restrictions on the pixel dimensions or the file size of each individual photo (2MB each, 2240x1680). If you have photos from a 7 or 8MP camera, your photos will exceed those dimensions, which means you won't be able to load your originals.

2. Or do you just want a place to share your photos with friends and relatives?

In which case you certainly don't need to upload the full size, full res versions of all of your photos. This is how most people use online hosting sites - you make smaller copies of all the photos you wish to post online, and upload those. By limiting the file size or the dimensions, you can post your 4GB of photos using only 400MB of space, or less.

I usually post my online photos at 800x600, but use very little compression to get maximum resolution for that size - that avoids the haloes, jaggies, and other distortions that result from heavy .jpeg compression, but keeps the file sizes down considerably from the camera's original 8MP output. This serves the added benefit of protecting your photos somewhat from other people stealing them - since they cannot really make much use of an 800x600 photo other than displaying online - you couldn't make high-quality large prints from it. You can never be completely safe from someone using your photo online or claiming it as their own (even those sites with right-click protection can't prevent someone from copying your photo). If one of your friends or relatives really liked a particular photo and wanted a higher resolution version, they could identify the photo on your gallery, and you could send them the high-res version.

Mainly, you need to choose based on what you want from the online site - storage of actual, full-resolution originals, or display of reduced-size copies of your work for others to enjoy and view. I'd recommend PBase for either - they support professional photographers who want to display high-res work and are willing to pay more money for their site, or they can give you alot of space and great design options to display lots of your photos in smaller sizes. I've used roughly 300MB of space on my site, which currently has 11 galleries with more than 800 photos at 800x600 that are minimally compressed (over 400KB each for an 800x600 - which compressed normally are usually 60 to 80KB). So at normal .jpg compression, I could store well over 6,000 photos for $23. And as Dave mentioned, you can just buy more space when you need it, at $23 per 500MB additional. Or they have a special where for $60, you can purchase 1500MB.

Hope that helps!

yahoo.com you can load as many photos as you want for free. I also like that you can send them to a local Target for one hour prints.

but you can't link directly to them on yahoo which makes it useless for sharing photos in a message on Cruise Critic.

Exactly...the ability to direct link and post photos on the message boards is a key feature when most of us are picking an online hosting site.

Even the free or cheap ones that DO allow direct linking often limit the amount of bandwidth allowed for that picture - alot of people view it, and it gets disabled (photobucket, shutterfly, etc). By moving up to one of their pay accounts, you can usually have those limitations removed. PBase doesn't have any bandwidth limitation on direct linking or viewing. I don't think Flickr does, at least for the accounts that allow direct linking. Always check that before you decide on a site!

I think smugmug is very nice and I would probably like to try it when I come back of my first cruise (hopefully with nice pictures :D !). I don't see anything free beside their 14 days trial. They say the rate for a standard account is 39,95$. Is the 23$ fee a discounted rate ? what do I have to do to get this rate ?

• 2 weeks later...

Archived