Iced Tea ..

canadiangirl77

weird question I know... is it Iced Tea or "Sweet" Tea that they serve for free?? Us Canadians are used to the Iced tea, like Nestea, Liptons etc ...

But I do noticed when I visit some US cities, you ask for Iced Tea and are served, cold brewed tea with sugar in it?!

What is served on the NCL ships?

Thanks

weird question I know... is it Iced Tea or "Sweet" Tea that they serve for free?? Us Canadians are used to the Iced tea, like Nestea, Liptons etc ...

But I do noticed when I visit some US cities, you ask for Iced Tea and are served, cold brewed tea with sugar in it?!

Thanks

You get unsweetened, ice tea. Sweetened ice tea is a southern tradition. You are likely to find that in the South and Southeastern states.

They have Sweet N Low, Splenda, Equal, and sugar on all the tables on the ship (at least on the Pearl they did:) ).

I like the fresh brewed tea and that is not what they had on the Star. It wasn't sweetened, but it wasn't brewed either. I think it's like the kind that mixes with a powder or something. I didn't care for it so I just made some hot tea and then poured it over ice myself.

Sweet tea is like heroin to me (had southern parents)

Unsweet makes me feel like I need to shave my tounge after I taste it.

I don't care what anyone says, you can't add sweetener to cold unsweet tea... it won't disolve right.

I have to chime in as a Southern gal. :)

If you dissolve real honest to goodness sugar in hot water, then add it to unsweetened (the horror!) tea, it works just fine. I don't personally care for the variety on cruise ships, but if you want to sweeten it with real sugar just use a small amount of hot water and sugar packets. Lately at home I've been using the Cold Brew tea bags in water just sitting on the kitchen counter, then I dissolve a cup of sugar in hot water to add. It's delicious and easy. When we were in Hawaii some restaurants kept simple syrup on the tables for this purpose.

Okay, did I just type all that about Sweet Tea? ;)

I'm sorry but I find the "sweetened" tea disgusting. :eek: Give me plain fresh iced tea any day over that sweet stuff. I'm looking forward to plain iced tea on our next cruise.:D

Absolutely right. That southern gunk is nothing but sugar water. No wonder we have a diabetes epidemic in this country--and corn syrup just compounds the problem. Blecch.

Warm breezes, if you want real iced tea, just ask for a pot of hot tea and a glass of ice.

i just wanted nestea or something of that nature ...lol

The Ice Tea we have had onboard is a "fountain" ice tea that comes from a machine. You often find it at 7-11 or Circle K stores here in the states, (next to the coke or pepsi). It is pretty bad. I do half tea half water and that seems to make it better for me. Whoever suggested making your own with the tea bags onboard has the right idea. I will do that on my next Jewel cruise.

The Ice Tea we have had onboard is a "fountain" ice tea that comes from a machine. You often find it at 7-11 or Circle K stores here in the states, (next to the coke or pepsi). It is pretty bad. I do half tea half water and that seems to make it better for me. Whoever suggested making your own with the tea bags onboard has the right idea. I will do that on my next Jewel cruise.

YES! that's the kind we like .. LOL is this true for the Sun? The gross fountain iced tea that you find at 7-11 next to the coke/pepsi?? :)

my DH will be in his glory!!

Sounds like there a lot of differing views on iced tea. Since it is my only source of caffeine - not being a coffee or pop drinker - I was glad to see it as an option at lunch time on NCL. Wish it had been available during the morning too, but they switch it out. Sometimes they are late and you can get a cup! Otherwise it is not readily available. I have used and will take the the tea bags for cold water that you can get at most grocery stores.

Thanks

Iced tea. No sugar.

...To me, the concept of unsweet is disgusting (yes, I am southern ;) ) but I do the best I can on board. Hope you have a great trip!

I'm sorry but I find the "sweetened" tea disgusting. :eek: Give me plain fresh iced tea any day over that sweet stuff. I'm looking forward to plain iced tea on our next cruise.:D

My contribution to the "iced tea wars" here on CC!:D

I'm from Missouri (a border state), so I go both ways... Most often: iced tea, fresh brewed (not too strong), no sugar. When available: Iced tea with lemon, 1/2 package (or 1/2 teaspoon) of sugar to take the "sour" off the lemon.

The iced tea on our Feb POAm cruise was unsweetened, self-served from the fountain dispenser next to the coffee machines. It was a mix, and pretty strong...I diluted with about 1/3 glass of water. The "hot tea with a glass of ice" is a GREAT idea..! I'll try that next cruise..!:)

Aside...my wife likes Lipton tea bags for her hot tea, and the POAm did not stock that brand. None of the RCL cruises we've been on carried that either, so she always brings a good supply of those and the flavored teas she likes with her. The bags take up very little room in the suitcases.

Been on several cruiselines and one thing is consistent----the tea looks like Coke when it comes to your table or out of the dispenser....pretty strong stuff. It still beats having nothing to me cuz I am not a pop drinker. :)

So... Is the free tea on NCL 1) unsweetened tea powder w/ water, 2) the tea in the soda machine, or 3) tea bags???

Anyone else more confused than before?

Beth, ALL the tea I saw on the POAm was free...the bags that are in a wooden case on the counter for the hot tea, the tea from the fountain-like dispensers near the coffee pots, and the tea brought by the servers in the dining room. I did not see any of your 1) on the ship. And all the tea served was unsweetened, although you might be able to order sweet tea in the dining rooms from your waitperson.

Been on several cruiselines and one thing is consistent----the tea looks like Coke when it comes to your table or out of the dispenser....pretty strong stuff. It still beats having nothing to me cuz I am not a pop drinker. :)

I agree....better than soda.

I do add sugar to the iced tea...and it (the sugar) does dissolve..better than on land:confused:

Archived