White Pass Railroad or Not

LisaH

Up to this point we have had our hearts set on the White Pass Railway as I hear wonderful things about it. However, we are taking the 9 hour train ride from Denail/McKinley down to Whittier. Will we still want to do another train ride? Is the scenery spectacular enough to warrant another 4 hours on a train?

thanks for your advice. Budget Queen, have you done both?

You don't have to spend 4 hours on the train unless you are on the longer rail excursion that goes to Carcross. The roundtrip train from Skagway takes 3 hours, but there are rail/bus excursions that go a little bit farther on the train, to Fraser, BC, and then return by bus (or bus up/rail back). That's what we're doing in June, and the train portion is 1-3/4 hours: http://www.skagwaysbesttour.com/summitrail.htm You can also do a longer rail/bus excursion to the Yukon, but the train portion is the same length.

Here are the different train options: http://www.wpyr.com/schedule.html

it was between 3 to 3 1/2 hours for the round trip depending how long it takes for the other trains to go pass. they have to clear the line before the trains head back down. as wonderful as the views are..we won't do it again. we heard great things about it and we are glad we did it, once. but it's too long sitting, looking out the window.

some of this could be 'cause we have had soooooo many hours in cars, driving across the country.

it's not just the train ride, it's the history. you get a full history lesson on the gold rush days. it is intereting, the sights are outstanding. i do recommend it....BUT i won't do it again. but i don't do bus tours anymore, either:mad:

if you decide on the round trip on the train..just the up and down train ride...book it through your cruise ship. saves you a trip to the train depot. when you book through the cruise line, you board the train just a few steps from the ship. it's the one time i do suggest that people book pay the little more and do it through the ship. walk down from the ship and right on to the train.

I'm with toyz711. It's all about the history with awesome views for a kicker! There are some trains in the world that you just have to ride if you get a chance and this is one of them. The cog railroad that goes up Mt Washington in NH is another. Try to imagine yourself living a hundred years ago, or more, and having the drive and where with all to conceive and build these things. Alaska is a whole lot more than pretty scenery. One must appreciate how it actually became civilized.

Up to this point we have had our hearts set on the White Pass Railway as I hear wonderful things about it. However, we are taking the 9 hour train ride from Denail/McKinley down to Whittier. Will we still want to do another train ride? Is the scenery spectacular enough to warrant another 4 hours on a train?

thanks for your advice. Budget Queen, have you done both?

We went through the same thought process. We are on the s/b Coral in June, coming from Denali on the train to Whittier. We finally decided to book the new, longer route with the White Pass train all the way up and bus down. We want to see as much scenery as possible and understand the views from the White Pass Railway are superb compared to just a few miles on the Princess Denali/Whittier route. We are going to leave the driving to someone else:D

Perhaps BQ or Yukon can chime in here with their opinions. Also, try a search of these boards.

Good Luck!

Don't miss the White Pass railroad trip since the trip is very different from that you will encounter on the Alaska Railroad. It is a unique piece of Alaska history going back to the Yukon Gold Rush of 1898 and the climb out of Skagway to the Canadian border can be really spectacular. The onboard guides do a great narration as well.

Yes I have done both the Alaska RR and White Pass. Completely different. :)

Frankly, the Alaska RR has few boring spots, overall and I greatly enjoy the ability to stop where I want. The most scenic portion is going to be Whittier/Anchorage- 2 hours of the trip.

(I've also been on the other two mentioned, Durango and Silverton, and Pikes Peak, also Combres and Toltec and many many others) The White Pass is spectacular, I enjoy the round trips. If you want to consider a combo train bus tour- I personally think the Yukon trips are the ones to consider and not the short summit bus runs that just essentially go back the 20 miles and make a stop at Liarsville, and usually 1 other stop past the bridge. You get much much more going into the Yukon and further to Carcross and Emerald Lake.

The new Lake Bennett rail trip will be a winner for sure. :)

The shorter rail/bus excursion goes to Fraser, BC - which is mile 27.7 of the railroad. The roundtrip train goes to the summit at mile 20.4. Chilkoot Charters' web site says the bus makes the following stops, with no mention of Liarsville:

Skagway Scenic Overlook

White Pass Trail of '98

Brackett Wagon Road

Pitchfork Falls

William Moore Bridge & Overlook

Tormented Valley

"Welcome to Alaska" Sign

Bridal Veil Falls

Glaciers & Waterfalls

The shorter rail/bus excursion goes to Fraser, BC - which is mile 27.7 of the railroad. The roundtrip train goes to the summit at mile 20.4. Chilkoot Charters' web site says the bus makes the following stops, with no mention of Liarsville:

Skagway Scenic Overlook

White Pass Trail of '98

Brackett Wagon Road

Pitchfork Falls

William Moore Bridge & Overlook

Tormented Valley

"Welcome to Alaska" Sign

Bridal Veil Falls

Glaciers & Waterfalls

Sorry, I am giving my opinion, having been there and knowing the area. There is little between Fraiser and the White Pass summit. Your list, are not big stop areas outside of the bridge overlook which is worthwhile. Also you see the Tormented Valley, Bridal Veil Falls , Trail of 98, and your glacier reference from the train. Some combo bus trips do include Liarsville.

And my opinion will continue to be that getting into the Yukon is the better trip to consider.

Sorry, I am giving my opinion, having been there and knowing the area. There is little between Fraiser and the White Pass summit. Your list, are not big stop areas outside of the bridge overlook which is worthwhile. Also you see the Tormented Valley, Bridal Veil Falls , Trail of 98, and your glacier reference from the train. Some combo bus trips do include Liarsville.

And my opinion will continue to be that getting into the Yukon is the better trip to consider.

I am sure you are correct that going to the Yukon is the better trip. I gave serious consideration to the new train excursion to Carcross, but ultimately decided to go with the shortest rail/bus excursion because there are other things I want to do in Skagway. We'll take the train to Carcross or rent a car for a drive to the Yukon...next time.

Thanks to all for the great info. I think we will probably go ahead and do the White Pass Railway...it sounds really interesting and beautiful.

Just curious, is the train equipped with restrooms? Can you get a drink or do you bring your own water?

Not all the ships rail round trips go across Tormented Valley some trains only go to the 2600 ft level switch and go back down. The bus rail that NancyIL speaks about goes to the Skagway overlook also. It also does a short tour of town. Lairsville is only sold off the ship and that tour is $135.

The tour that NancyIL is doing is saving her $26. and supporting the locals. Go Nancy.

Stacym

We are doing the Skagway/Carcross and bus back with Chilkoot 8.5 hr.

Archived