Ever used the pharmacy to get prescription meds at the Port of Calls?

conversationist

I was on the Grand Princess last week and we stopped in Mexico and Belize. At these ports there was aways a number of places selling prescription drugs for reasonable cost. The signs were in English and I got the impression we did not need a doctors prescription for the drugs, even though one would be required in America.

They advertised a number of drugs I might be interested in trying but would not want to go through the hassle of getting a prescription in the United States. Of course one of these drugs is *****, which was highly promoted at these Mexican pharmacies.

Has anyone got a prescription drug at a port of call without an official prescription? Your experiences, costs, fears and concerns would be of interest.

you are correct, many drugs that require a prescription here in the states can be purchased over the counter in Mexico. The disadvantage of these drugs is there is no FDA there to test them..that is the risk you take, but I know many people who buy there drugs over there due to the cheaper costs, especially senior citizens and they swear by them. 2 weeks ago, while on our cruise, I got sick with strep throat..I bought amoxicillin there and it worked like a dream. L

You would be taking a risk if you buy these drugs. Since there is no FDA to test them, you may get what amounts to a placebo. You don't know how much active drug is in the pill or what the inert ingredients are. I am not willing to take the risk with my health to save a few bucks. .

You also run the risk of a confrontation with US Custom and their drug sniffing dogs. Customs is cracking down on anyone bringing even prescription drugs back from foreign countries. Be very careful.

Before I left on my last cruise I read about the prescription drugs for sale on the Islands. I was also interested in buying a few prescriptions myself, but I was scared to because I was not sure if it was legal. I asked the staff at the xray machine if it was legal. They said yes. So I bought some with no problems.

When cruising with our DD, now in her last year of Pharmacy School, we always stop in the drug stores at the ports. She's always horrified at what can be bought OTC, not just the actual drugs but also the strengths. For example, on one of our cruises, a passenger, on hearing that our DD was a Pharmacy student who worked at a Target Pharmacy, asked her advice on the proper dosing of some codeine she'd bought for a family member with some pain problems. DD took one look at the bottle and asked (rather flippantly) if she intended to kill the person or just put them into an irreversible coma. The strength was so high (assuming that it was indeed real) that it would only have been used in the USA in a hospice- end of life- setting.

However, this same DD developed a rash on another cruise and ended up going to a pharmacy in Nassau and prescribing the right anti-fungal cream for herself. And was glad she could buy it OTC, rather than pay to go to the ship's doc.

So DD's advice to all of you: don't buy anything in another country that would need a prescription in your own country. My advice: if you're going to do it anyway, plan ahead and research your drug. Take along an empty bottle (or whatever) plus any package inserts so you can compare it with what is offered elsewhere. Make sure you're getting the same thing- exact name, manufacturer, dosing, etc. And if your life depends on this drug- don't risk it. Anti-fungal cream is one thing; heart medicine is a whole different issue!

I bought both a generic Fosamax and a generic arthritis medication, Mobic, in Ensenada this past October. I asked my doctor's opinion, and he said he thought there ws about a 95% chance the drugs would be comparable (as effective) as what I take under perscription. I would not do this for any life saving or homonal type med (i.e. synthroid), but I plan to get the same two on my next trip. And you do not need a prescription.

The only thing I would add to the above is if you have allergies to things used as fillers ie wheat germ, sugars, exracts or dyes ect. You could end up with a life threating condition on the cruise ship because of these meds which are not regulated.

Archived