My outfit for formal im only 11 years old

emb93

It sounds just right. When my daughter was 11 she brought a black knee length skirt and 3 different tops to wear to the dining room- she had a nice pair of black sandals and looked just great. In showing concern for what you wear, I'm sure you have more sense and better manners than many adults you will encounter on board!

One warning, my daughter set her purse down to get her picture taken and 1 minute later it was gone and never returned, so be careful.

Have a great time:)

That ourfit sounds nice to me but you could go a little dressier for formal night. When is your cruise? If it is fall or winter see if Mom can get you like a holiday dress. You know velvet and taffeta. If it is spring or summer an Easter dress would look nice. Mom does not have to spend a lot of money either. Marshalls has great dresses for girls come Sept. for the holidays. They also always have nice easter dresses but you are a little late for that. Mom could check the consignment shops and often at Dillards and Parisan they have great girl's dresses on clearance though. Or if you had an easter dress and it still fits wear it.

Hey one year when all else failed we actually bought my daughter a cute dress at Walmarts in the girl's department. She loved it because it had the look of one of Rose's gowns (Kate Winslet's character) in the movie Titanic. It wasn't the best quality but was cute and she only wore it that one cruise anyway. It was like nylon chiffon, two or three layors with a small velvet jacket. We actually did not use the jacket as we found a much nicer one in a formal wear shop. Especially with the nicer jacket no one would have known her dress came from Walmarts.

I am just saying this because that is what I mostly notice the younger girls wearing on formal nights. But don't worry-plenty just wear nice dresses and sadly you see some adults who do not even bother to dress for formal night. Your outfit will look ten times better then they do.

I agree with momofmeg. It's possible you might feel a bit underdressed for a formal night. I'm 34 but I remember growing up I didn't have much occasion to wear a fancy dress and we didn't have a lot of money so to buy one to wear just once wouldn't have been an option. Then again when I was 11 our family vacation was to go to Disneyland :) . Back then we also didn't have Ross and Marshalls plus the nicer department stores didn't have the sales they do now. Yesterday I was at Macy's and bought quite a few shirts that were at least 50% off the regular price and then the clearance was to take an additional 50% off the lowest price. So a $35.00 shirt was just over $6.00. You could probably find a really pretty formal dress for $20.00-30.00 or maybe even less. If you have a David's Bridal near you they usually have a sales rack. But if it is a long drive call ahead to see if they do so your Mom doesn't make a long drive for nothing. Nordstrom Rack always has great deals too. Let us know what you decide!

Lydia

PS-some cruise lines have a formal optional night, I think it's called freestyle. If this is the case then the outfit you described would be fine as a lot of people will be dressed casual.

I really think that outfit, while cute, is a little too casual for formal night, especially the t-shirt and denim purse. I think for formal, most young ladies wear dresses that you would wear to a fancy restaurant. Your outfit would look just great for any of the other nights.

Also, what's navy green? I know that I'm out of the loop regarding a lot of today's fashion, but I've never heard of navy green.

I was going to reply to the O-P, because I too use the term "navy green". Just never heard of anyone else using it.

Navy Green (to me) is like navy blue. Only green. Hunter green if you will.

Just another way of saying dark green.

Honey I just read a post over on the Carnival board critizing me for saying you may want to dress up a little more. I only said that because you seemed concerned about your appearance and I know at your age it is very important that you feel confortable with your appearance. As I have already said, the only reason I said anything at all is because I knew you were concerned with feeling out of place-I was not trying to be mean. You sound like a wonderful young lady.

I have been on 8 cruises and I told you what I saw little girls around your age wearing. One thing though I can say-if you leave off the jeans purse-you will probally be fine with your outfit-although many are dressed up really fancy you do see others that are not so eloborate. Your outfit does sound dressy- but jeans even a jeans purse- speaks casual.

It really should not be a problem to leave your purse in the cabin-I usually leave my purse in the cabin myself-then I don't have to worry about misplacing my purse.

I agree with momofmeg. I would dress up a little bit more if I were you...Dont you think it would be fun to get all dressy? :) I think looking for early season holiday dresses would be perfect and your mom should be able to find them very affordable at places like Target or Kohls.

However, if you dont want to dress up that much, I think the skirt sounds great, but I would pick a different shirt - your tshirt sounds very casual. I would definetly leave out the purse....jean is jean no matter what piece of clothing or accessory it is. How about a nice white button up blouse to go with the skirt?

Good luck!

I agree with Mirrajay & Momofmeg also. This is a very special time for you and since you were concerned enough to post on this board I think a little dressier would be better. Check on EBAY also....you can get some great deals on dresses like Strasburg, Laura Ashley, etc. for dirt cheap. But whatever you do, remember to HAVE FUN!!!!:)

Momofmeg: I agree with you and didn't feel you were criticizing, just trying to help.

Emb93, my daughter is 11 and we are leaving Sat. for Bermuda. On our two formal nights, she is wearing 1) her Easter dress, a pink spaghetti strap taffeta A-line dress. Pretty dressy. 2) Red and white floral halter A-line dress. Not as dressy as the first one, but she wants to wear it. It's a great dress.

For the semi-formal nights, she is wearing a cotton black and white polka dot halter dress (from Ltd 2) and a brown rayon skirt with leopard style silky top.

She also has 3 capri outfits and a cotton skirt outfit for casual nights (not sure how we are packing all this stuff - my 8 yr. old has 8 outfits picked out too!!).

Hope this helps

Cutekatcar

Archived