Onboard the Dawn now!

latitude 22

I sailed on the this itinerary on the 12/1/06 sailing, so not to long ago.....Scrapbooking at Sea is now offered it is 24.95....A Digital Photography Class is offered today......The new internet company is onboard...They removed the ability to upload your photos online yourself....plan 2...55 cnets a minute=100 min 55..00...

Hope your having a nice quite cruise; we were on the Dawn last November. Nothing negative here, just my own observations.

You can buy your own supplies for about $15 and have your own unique book, not what Princess chose.

Happened to walk through while the first photo class was going on, about 8 people were there. No idea about the 2nd class, but the 3rd class was canceled due to "lack of interest".

To bad they removed the card readers from the computers, about the only good thing going for their equipment.

The whole new charge for Internet has been talked to death. We had made deposit for our sixth cruise and the news hit the following week. With the timing as it is, just wondering if you had made final payment BEFORE they changed their policy.

Enjoyed the Dawn's relaxed atmosphere and quite public rooms. Who is your CD, we had Frank just before he left on “vacation”.

Well HELLO jlp...didn't think I would hear from you on this thread..

Remember no negativity...

I booked and paid in full this cruise in January, the internet issue is irrelevant to me since I'm elite and traveling with an elite. Even after April 1st it will be irrelevant to me personally.

Further info....

ok so remember about my calmer seas when we hit cabo comment..forget that proven theory we are having more action today than we did the last 2 days. VERY strange as this is reversing all common thoughts on sailing the west coast of California which has always been notoriously rough.

It's really no big deal for me, but if you are sensitive to seasickness..today might be a small issue for you.

Our captain is Italian...i recognize the name and voice but can't remember it and he loves to chat...he does all the 12 noon updates. I love a chatty captain, makes me feel like if I really needed info he would be forthcoming. They have had 2 other captains since 12/1. Contracts with Princess are kindof changing a bit as I've been hearing. Before you signed your contract and you were on the assigned ship for the duration. not anymore with any position..you can receive a reassignment at the drop of a hat with no warning. Niel is our CD and Jo is the port shopping guide. Constantine and Martin are 2 of my favorite head waiters and they are here.

LBL ...who did you pick for your waiter and head waiter?

The photoshop classes on the 12/1 sailing and this sailing have been packed.

The pools are heated, depending on the age of your teenagers there are specific pools and hot tubs they can use.

I'm doing wine tasting today, so I will provide a report on whether I think it is worth paying 9.50 for.

To my fellow elites...

mini bar set up. there were 18 pieces, we kept 6 pieces and exchanged the rest for 12 16oz bottle waters, it was not a problem. I did notice with the fruit basket and mini bar that our preferences were not done....but to us it's a no biggie. We exchanged the waffle robes for terry robes again non issue. Canapes were delievered on time with 6 pieces for EACH elite traveler make sure you write on the card how many elites in the cabin. we have not done tea yet and tomorrow is laundry day..so i will report back on those later.

going to post now ...i really hope this works and i don't lose it!

I am very excited to board the Dawn. I will bring a good book to sit and catch up on my reading.....

How is the gym? Enough to share? Maybe I will just walk the deck!

How about dancing classes? I love to dance! Thanks for all of the updates, great anticipation!!!

KIM

there have been dance classes every day...today is the cha cha..

gym is complete.. smaller than say the star or grand, but it has everything you would need included tons of mats and exercise balls.

walking the deck 3 times around is 1 mile, 1st 2 days will require sweater or jacket, now a just a tshirt

last night was 1 hour forward, tonight the same in ACA you will be 2 hours ahead TOTAL this is ACA time not ship.

aca-airport code for acapulco

Love "live" posts for any ship! We're going on the Golden SFO RT in April! Will be our first cruise as Elite!! We're excited. I'll be watching for your laundry report! Is dry cleaning also included?

Thanks so much for posting! Tips and info much appreciated. Look forward to your port reports - like is the dock in PV ready for occupancy?

Tahoe...I just told him, he and nap are here and they say Hello to both of you...he just read your post and he smiled with a chuckle

everyone...

12 noon captain chatty is on again...:)

we are traveling at the speed of 21 knots, present position latitude 20 longitude is 107 ...i think..... he talks faster than i can brain process and type

hey they have a penal colony out here in the middle of the ocean on a island like alcatraz, but only much further from civilization in 1950 it was deactivated it was reactivated in 2004 it is considered escape proof. about 3,000 there now ...a charming group of drug dealers, murderers and kidnappers.... interesting learn something new every day.

still chatting...

today is....

21 degrees celsius 69 degrees farenhite 20 knot winds which is force 5 and moderate swell of 7 feet.

forecast in ACA 87 degrees, gentle wind about 10 miles per hour.

thank you for your attention enjoy your day onboard the sun princess....

oops, someone needs to tell him he's now on the Dawn...

he just arrived so it's understandable!

Sailing on Dawn end of April thanks for the great info. One favor to ask can you check with the CD about who to contact to set up a meet and greet. Have a few others interested in this and wonder how to go about it. Thanks if you can and thanks if you cant. Enjoy your cruise.

Latitude22,

Thanks for taking the time to update us. We will be on the Dawn next Saturday the 10th ,I guess when you get off. I am trying to find the name of a good waiter in the anytime dinning area to ask for and at the steak house. It usually takes us a few days to find one we like and then we stick with them throughout the cruise. If you can save us some time that would be great. How is the CD?

Thanks again

Ho

We are taking our FIRST cruise ever on the Dawn June 20 to Alaska so I really enjoy your posts. I have the same concern as mentioned above about having enough to do while sailing to and from "up north". We will have our 11 year old daughter with us.

Are there a lot of free classes offered, especially any cooking classes? Are kids allowed to attend them? Can you tour the ship, especially the engine room? Please keep advising all about the ship so we will know what to expect!

Thanks!!!:)

Sailing on Dawn end of April thanks for the great info. One favor to ask can you check with the CD about who to contact to set up a meet and greet. Have a few others interested in this and wonder how to go about it. Thanks if you can and thanks if you cant. Enjoy your cruise.

we'll be there as well. we are flying in on the 21st and will enjoy SF for a day and a half prior to the cruise.

just a quick update ...ho...I like fernando from Portugal and cerengia she's our waiter right now with Danny as asst. waiter. we have table 77. they switch stations all the time. if you want a set waiter at anytime it is imperative that you go to meet the maitre d on embarkation day. it gets a little tricky if you don'twe have a standing anytime res. for 545pm, the lines for anytime dining have been through the atrium to the patisseria each night a night starting around 530pm i've never seen this before. engine room...sorry they did that ages ago, but with security issues it hasnt been done in a long time. there is a cooking demo, but i did see something in the patter that there was something for jr chefs...i know that crystal and regent have done culinary classes. quite a few classes are free ...some charge...oh wine tasting was today...9.75 is the charge i've done a ton of these on various lines and this was excellent. i will post more on the wines (5 were tasted) when i have my tasting info in front of me... i would definately recommend it!there is also the Maitre D;s wine club for 25.00 you taste 5 wines rated 92 points or above while pairing them with canapes. tommorow is aca we arrive at 1pm..

Latitude,

Who is your guest speaker this cruise? On the Feb 5th cruise, we had Dick Krause, a retired 40yr photojornalist who gave talks about every other day on various subjects.

We also attended a navigational talk in theater by first officer which was interesting. He said that bridge and engine room tours were no longer possible but his talk had lots of slides and movie clips to show us everything.

The chef and his cronies gave a comedic cooking demo on three or four dishes.

The photo people gave a class on digital photo taking which was very basic, with a small book. Surprised how many in the class had just gotten their cameras.

Nice reading your reports as we also enjoyed Chris's before your cruise.

Is the capt still Tony Draper or did he take a break. He did give us daily talks which was kinda nice, as on our last Summit cruise we never heard a word from any ship officer all week, only the cruise director.

latitude, Your posts are great!! I am glad you are enjoying the cruise. Raymond is my waiter of choice, I just hope he is there in April.

Love the noon report from the bridge. I felt like I was there.

Carole

Thanks for the info on the engine tours and cooking classes. My daughter was wondering if they have any theme nights, like 50's clothes or black and white ball? Someone told her about theme parties on some other cruises and she wants to know she she can pack accordingly.

Thanks,

Iamnewtocruising: Princess had a very good youth program with activities throughout the day and evening. After the first day, you may see very little of your daughter. The kids make friends easily, and run in a pack, shepherded by youth staff. Kiddie karaoke was one of the popular evening pastimes. Don't worry. Your daughter won't be bored!

Buenos Dias!

Our guest speak is someone with the last name of Lichenstein and it's all about astronomy....he had a lecture about the Southern cross but it was 1145pm at night...but most have been during the day.

the navigational lecture was on my 12/1 sailing, more sea days on the return so i'll see about it then

there is 50's party in the wheelhouse bar and tonight a mexcian fiesta party on deck. People don't dress the theme for dinner like it used to be long ago.

It used to be that there were very few activities onboard ship compared to the way ship life is today, so when it was a themed night it was HUGE HUGE HUGE .....EVERYONE did it up right. not so much anymore. you dress after dinner and even then very few people dress. so sad ...

last night around 1030pm i went on deck 7 with my sprint phone and was able to call my DH with analog roam the reception was excellent. just a fyi. i have no idea how much it will cost, but the joy in his voice of me surprising him was worth it... i had to dial 011areacodephonenumber.

capt tony is gone, they are on their 3rd captains since12/1...

I will find out captain chatty's real name. i keep forgetting.

iamnewtocruising ..were you the one that posted the thread about traveling with an 11 year old? if not please read what I wrote..

is she well traveled otherwise? or is this her 1st big adventure?

scapbooking class is being offered again this morning for my scrapbookers..

I have now been to Acapulco about 14 times. so this is going to be a day where we stay on the ship, do the spa special and read by the very quiet pool.

If you have not been to Acapulco you must go see the cliff divers. Also there is a great store in the cruise terminal on your left before you exit that sells only arts and craft made in the Mexico. Last cruise i purchased beautiful handpainted clay ornaments

Adios mi amigos

while i'm remembering this..

in port spa specials

hot stone massage went down to 119 from 189, teeth whitening 150 from 199 and some body scrub and facial went to 79 from 119.

those were the special for this sailing ...

the loose stones event...now if you are interested i would check with your jeweler if its really that good of a deal to buy loose stones - gold and settings have really gone up quite a bit.

because i just bought my maid of honor stud amethyst earrings I know the pricing and quality etc etc.i bought hers in caribeean at emerald intl...the ship has better prices on preset stud earrings. 70.00 a pair for simple studs in garnet, peridot, amethyst, citrine and variation of topaz

i was just given a peridot ring as a christmas gift and the pricing was the same as on the ship BUT my ring setting is 10 times nicer even though its a simple round solitaire setting.

so, i say yes to earrings, but no to rings, no thoughts on necklace because they itch my neck...that is just my personal opinon based on my personal tastes.

time for breakfast...

Hey Latitude 22, thanks again for these detailed updates - I love reading them! I have a question about them nights - is there a way to find out in advance what the theme nights are? How does one pack for these? Thanks!

Archived