Where to buy wine in, or close to, LaGardia airport?

catburt

As I have reviewed the Wine list offered on the Noordam, I am interested in bringing some wine on board.

We are flying in from Canada at 6am (I know... plus it's only a 1 hour fligth I will be at the airport for hours beofre HAL picks us up!) and so all Duty free shops will be closed - any ideas as to where we can purchase wine in laGuardia Airport, or close by?

many thanks in advance,

A thirsty traveller!

I don't know the area, but if you can get a zip code, you might be able to use the "Superpages.com" (yellow pages) button at the top of this page to search the Wines-Retail or Liquor-Retail categories.

Can't take a cruise without some decent wine!

So you are going to be at Laguardia at 7:00AM ? The airport is in Queens, sort of a no man's land . I do not see much potential for wie shopping there.

Instead of waiting for HAL to come get you, you might want to consider taking a taxi to the port. Someone else will need to tell you the earliest they will take your luggage. Once you are free of it, and if able and willing , you have the lion's share of the day to poke around the city and find some great wine.

Perhaps if you contact this store, you can order and have them deliever it to the pier and viola, it will be in your cabin. At the very least, they could give you the name of a wine store a cab's ride to the pier.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that if you buy wine in the Caribbean, you can not drink it onboard. They keep it for you till the end of the cruise.

So you are going to be at Laguardia at 7:00AM ? The airport is in Queens, sort of a no man's land . I do not see much potential for wie shopping there.

As a proud resident of Queens I resent that! ;)

But to be honest finding any kind of liquor store open that early will be a problem. I live about 15 minutes away from LGA and there won't be any wine/liqour stores open here until the afternoon. If the HAL transfer isn't coming for a while it might be for the best to wait for the Duty Free shop to open and just get it there.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that if you buy wine in the Caribbean, you can not drink it onboard. They keep it for you till the end of the cruise.

Wine is no problem, they will simply charge you the $15 corkage fee to open it. So you can walk on with as many bottles as you can carry. They hold onto liquor if you purchase it and return it to you the final night.

As a proud resident of Queens I resent that! ;)

But to be honest finding any kind of liquor store open that early will be a problem. I live about 15 minutes away from LGA and there won't be any wine/liqour stores open here until the afternoon. If the HAL transfer isn't coming for a while it might be for the best to wait for the Duty Free shop to open and just get it there.

Oh Lindsay. I love Queens and all the different neighborhoods. I meant the area around the airport, is no man's land and it is.

I am curious. Can an arriving pax buy from a duty free shop? For some reason I thought it was for outbound pax.

OK, I don't know why superpages.com won't let me search for a wine shop, but I used google to get the zip code (11369) for the Marriott near La Guardia. Then using google map, found 6 or 7 Liquor/Wine shops near there. Try calling All Bros. Liquor (718) 205-6911 or J & J Liquor (718) 672-1022 or J & R Liquor (718) 728-3150. Perhaps x lindsay x can tell us if grocery/supermarkets can sell wine in NY--I seem to remember having trouble buying wine in NYC at a grocery, but that has been a few years ago. BTW, the HAL corkage fee is only for opening/serving the wine in the dining room (or a bar?)--you can have it in your cabin at no charge. One (small) reason to sail HAL or Princess is their policy of allowing you to bring wine on-board without having to "smuggle" it!

Archived