Handicapped cabin question

almitra

Normally I would say you should decline the HC room, but since it is only a week out I guess they have decided nobody is going to be needing that room. That's the nice thing about booking GTY.

• 2 weeks later...

We do not have a handicapped room booked, but our mom has a scooter. (we'll be on deck 7) Any suggestions on making it easier to get places with it? How about tendering & shore excursions with it? I don't recall seeing the Handicap Friendly icon on any of the shore excursions. Thanks.

As far as wheelchairs and scooters, NCL will help handicapped persons down the ramp or stairs embarking and disembarking the ship while tendering or at a pier. There are elevators and ramps throughout the ship, a handicapped person should be able to get about a ship. However, the halls are narrow when the cleaning crews are out working the cabins. If you see them, attempt to go to the other bank of elevators, and if caught the cleaning crews will move their carts into a cabin to allow passage.

My Nephew is a full grown male in a wheel chair (he is a quad due to a swimming pool acident at 17) - He always cruises NCL and has told me he has never had problems on the ship. He has told me he has more problems on airplans due to the narrow walkways. I would call NCL and speak to a consulatant concerning the best excursions available for your mom. I do know that if the ship is not docked at the pier could be a problem getting down the ramp to the tender unless your mother is able to walk ( with help) down the ramp, and I have seen some crew member carry wheelchairs with persons down before - but I think a scoter would be to heavy also when you get to the ship don't forget to check about muster - I belive there is a special section or way they do it with none mobile people - they shut down the elevators durning the muster drill.

Debbie

We had a HC room on the Pearl for the Feb 16 - 25th sailing (we were assigned the room by our TA without even knowing it was HC as the ship was almost full). The room was quite larger than the other people traveling with us on the same deck (we had obstructed view, so did someone else and the third cabin was a balcony)

One piece of advise so that you don't flood the bathroom as it is all level...when you are adjusting the shower, make sure that head angles the spray to land before the curtain because if it hits the curtain it will get past the drain and make your whole bathroom weet.

Archived