Just back Sapphire P

bearhall

Just back for Auckland/ Sydney cruise Feb.16/28th. Overall cruise good, seas afairly smooth whole trip. New zealand ,nice but kind of quiet.Ships service good ,not great, same for food. Shore excusions over priced, Princess tries to oversell you on about everything. This is my 4th Princess cruise and I think I will try another line next time.

Sorry the very short post, we were 20 hours coming home from Sydney.It will try and be more detailed. we arrived 1 day early to Auckland and stayed at the Hilton,which is on the pier that the ship sails.from, very nice hotel. If you have time take ferry 30 minutes south for wine tasting.. Boarding the ship was not painful,they recomend to come after 2 to check in, if you do ,there very few lines.First stop,Taregue vey nice small town,you can walk to town.We did the jet boat trip, jet was great but farm tour total waste of time.Next stop Christ Church, 30 minute bus ride to town ,you need a shuttle for sure,the little port town has little to see.we did the wing and wine tour, wine part good but, 1.15 bus ride oneway.Next stop Dunedin,one of my favorites, university town with Scottish influence.Lots of tours you still need ashuttle 30 minutes from dock to town.Milford Sound next very pretty,not a huge area,ship foats around for pictures.Crossing the TasmanSea, sea surprisingly calm,a total of 3 days at sea,shows on ship very good, 5 different stage shows.Best beer deal 32 oz. Foster's6.50 in big can.Hobart, ship docks right in town ,you can walk. Nice little city, lots of tours, people friendly, good seafood close to ship.Melbourne, great city, take tram 109 back to ship, free shuttle to city center. Sydney, ship docks same habor as Opera House, you can walk to Four Seasons Hotel,taxi line 100 + people, getting off ship a breeze. Overall,we had agreat cabin steward,most waiters good not great,same for food,Ship is pretty only 2.5 years old.Weather in New Zealand mostly in high 60's in Australia70 to 82. I hope some of this info helps.

We leave a week from Monday....so thanks for the info. I understand that you must be tired from the trip! I'm not looking forward to going to work the next day myself!!

We are also staying at the Hilton. Can you tell me a little more about he ferry trip to a wine tasting? Where did you catch the ferry? Were you able to just arrange this on your own?

Thanks! Maurren

Just thought I'd add a little more to the notes from this cruise.

As first time cruisers we enjoyed the trip and stops in each port. I canceled all of the shore excursions and shared cabs with another couple. Much better than the cruise excursions and half the price.

We really enjoyed the sheep shearing, kiwi farm tour, and thermals in Toranga. Cadbury chocolate tour in Dunedin. The Bonarong wildlife park in Tasmania - you can pet Kangaroo's and Koala bears. Russell falls - ok

Melbourne big city. My husband enjoyed the white water rafting in Christchurch and by the way it is a level 5 so be sure you are able bodied to handle it.

Food was ok, although the desserts at dinner were good and some of the meals, lobster, filet mignon and the chateu briand (not sure I spelled this correctly) The fish was not wonderful. Living in So. Cal has spolied me so I personally do not recommend the fish entree's. Appetizers yes on the fish and soups were good too.

We stayed in the Langham hotel in Auckland which was quite nice and walked the city two days prior to the cruise. A must see is the Sky Tower and have dinner there.

Disembarkation was good until we got to the airport where the sorting and retrieval of the luggage was totally unorganized.

Hope this helps

Great feedback...thanks!

I agree with you about the ability to do excursions on your own and enjoy them just as much. Cograts to you for trying this as first time cruisers.

My husband wants to do the Antarctic Centre and the rafting - is this possible in one day??

In regards to the Antartic & white water rafting. If they are both in the same port, no you won't be able to do both. The trip is 2 hours to the rafting and I think two hours on the rafts and lunch then two hours back to the ship.

Hope this helps.

Archived