What do you reccommend to do in New York

What do you reccommend to do in New York

Hi, I would like some advice, i have had a little already, but i can never have too much.

As i will be travelling to New York and staying just for the day on the QE2, what would you reccommend that i do. I am staying in a M grade deck 5 cabin, so i presume this needs to be taken into account ?

I have never been to New York before and would like a brief tour, nothing too indepth and not keen on coaches as the amount of time wasted getting everyone on and off, unless you reccommend otherwise.:confused:

Any advice is welcome.

Di

I am not certain what your cabin on the QE2 has to do with anything. Cunard ships dock in Brooklyn - will you be going into NYC before or after the cruise?

How long will you be staying in the City? There are two bus lines that do tours of NYC - you can get on and off the buss at the different stops to go and sightsee, or you can stay on the bus for tour that lasts just a few hours.

Grey Line Tours and City Tours are the companies.

If you've never been to a Broadway show - you might want to consider that.

Tell us a little more about what you're interested in. The reason I ask is because you can easily spend a week in NYC and still only scratch the surface. Are you more interested in shopping, museums, touristy sites (e.g., Empire State Building, Statue of Liberty), architecture, or the arts (e.g., Broadway, dance, opera)?

HI, Unfortunately, we are only in new york for the day. This is a friday. I really just want to have a quick look at a few sites, but my hubby is not keen on coach off boat as he says you have a lot of waiting around for the dawdlers, unless you reccommend otherwise ?:confused:

Where is your hotel? Are you staying in Manhattan or Brooklyn? How many hours will you have to sightsee?

I'm not understanding "waiting around for dawdlers"? You get on the bus and get off the bus. That's all there is to it.

I would like to suggest that you study some NYC websites and choose what you'd like to do, based on your preferences. There are just too many things to see and do in NYC to give advice without having more information.

http://www.nycvisit.com/home/index.cfm

http://www.coachusa.com/newyorksightseeing/

http://www.ny.com/sights/misc.html

Where is your hotel? Are you staying in Manhattan or Brooklyn? How many hours will you have to sightsee? Are you able to walk or do you need to use taxis, busses or subways? NYC is a walking city. You can see a lot in a short period of time if you are able to walk many city blocks.

I'm not understanding "waiting around for dawdlers"? You get on the bus and get off the bus. That's all there is to it.

Your cabin category on your ship has nothing to do with sightseeing in NYC.

I would like to suggest that you study some NYC websites and choose what you'd like to do, based on your preferences. There are just too many things to see and do in NYC to give advice without having more information.

http://www.nycvisit.com/home/index.cfm

http://www.coachusa.com/newyorksightseeing/

http://www.ny.com/sights/misc.html

HI, Unfortunately, we are only in new york for the day. This is a friday. I really just want to have a quick look at a few sites, but my hubby is not keen on coach off boat as he says you have a lot of waiting around for the dawdlers, unless you reccommend otherwise ?:confused:

Are you continuing on the QE2 and NYC is a port stop?

If so, you will have to get into Manhattan from the Brooklyn Pier. You only have two real choices, given the short time in port (they usually let you off about 8:30AM and you have to reboard by no later than 4:00PM). If your trip is part of a transatlantic crossing, you may not get off the ship until after 9:00PM. Lots of luggage and people to get off in NYC.

1. Cunard's tour-I certainly understand about the "dwaddlers". We won't take bus type tours for that very reason.

2. Find a way into Manhattan-car service is the easiest and can be pre arranged. Then decide whether you want the hop on/hop off bus that makes quite a few stops and gives you a WIDE variety OR limit yourself to just a couple-Staten Island Ferry/Empire State Bldg/Rockefeller Center or Central Park/museums/shopping.

Once you decide these things, we can point in you in the correct direction to make them happen.

It is a port stop. So your timings will be spot on. We are supposed to dock at 7.15, and i will hope to be one of the first off.

Will there be cars in the dock to take us to where the bus tours take palce?

Do you know what the customs are like ?

But i willl be like a kid in a sweety shop as of course i wan to do everything.

So any recommendations are welcome.

It is a port stop. So your timings will be spot on. We are supposed to dock at 7.15, and i will hope to be one of the first off.

1. Don't count on getting off the ship too early. Cunard's bus tours usually get off first. Then debarking pax (those leaving permanently in NYC), then everyone else. If you "kind of" stand in line with those debarking permanently, you have a good chance of "kind of" fitting in with the flow.

And then you have the few people who do not report for customs clearance and those who have not paid their charges who ALWAYS hold up the show.

2. Customs will be cleared on the ship-usually very early that morning. The customs guys go to work between 6-7:00AM, so they board the ship pretty early.

3. Take your passport off the ship if you are not a US citizen. You will need it to get back on. I don't like my own advice (I NEVER take my original passport off the ship), but for NYC, you will need it.

4. Arrange for a car service IN ADVANCE to pick you up and take you to Manhattan. I'm sure someone will chime in with the best car service. I have my favorite, but they don't like going to the Brooklyn Pier. MAKE SURE the QE2 is going into Brooklyn. There are some transatlantics on the QE2 that are still going into the West Side Piers. If the ship by chance is going into Manhattan, the hop on hop off bus has a stop about 1/2 block from the pier.

5. Take the hop on/hop off bus. If it was me, to get the flavor of NYC, I would take this tour. Works with your timing, convenient place to be dropped off and picked up by your car service (Times Square) and really hits the highlights. The little cruise to the Statue of Liberty is something NOT to be missed. You don't have time for the full blown, Statue of Liberty, Ellis Island tour, unless that is the ONLY thing you want to do. But the little cruise around the harbor is VERY good. http://www.coachusa.com/newyorksightseeing/booking.asp?action=ProductDetail&productId=2980

Enjoy NYC. My favorite city in the whole world (and I have been to most of the major cities in the world).

Is there a bus tour that will let you HOHO close to Ground Zero? Apart from the Statue of Liberty that is on my Must see in one day list.

Yes, there are HOHO tours that include Ground Zero. Usually, they're referred to as Downtown Loop tours that include the Financial District.

Unless you can make it to the Empire State Bldg by 8am skip it or you'll waste a couple hours waiting in line.

The hop-on hop-off or Circleline tour is just a bus that makes a loop aound to the major attractions. No waiting for dawdlers....(like Madelinerose said) you get off where you want, then get back on when it comes back around. It's expensive and may be time consuming to wait for the hop back on.

I see you are on the April QE2 crossing. Get with Tom and Jan ( Transatlantic Tom from Minnesota) or Tom and Rebecca (Tandemtourer from Maine) when you get on the ship. Go to the WCC meetings, at least the first night and introduce yourself. I think they are both staying on to FLL. They have done the crossing many times and will be able to steer you in the right direction.

I couldn't finish my post yesterday.

Start at the Statue of Liberty. Either take the Staten Island Ferry across and back for just the view or take the actual Statue of Liberty/Ellis Island ferry that let's you go to Ellis Island. From there you can walk to groung zero, it's really close or hail a cab. Just hail a cab everywhere IMO. Go up to Empire State Bldg/Herald Square/Macy's then farther up to Grand Central Station- good food court if it's lunchtime. Times Square is next and there are INFO booths on the corners of 42nd St/51st St's and Broadway. In this area is MOMA and Rockefeller Center. West is the Intrepid Sea and Air museum/Javits center. Hubby will like this probably. Last go to Central Park. Can't imagine squeezing more then this in in a day.

If the Statue of Liberty is a priority, get a very early morning start. The security lines are long and slow. An ACCESS Pass is NECESSARY if you want to enter the base of the statue. Otherwise you just have grounds access. You get the passes online via the circle line web site. Also be well prepared for significant security lines if you access the statue. They are also slow and long. With getting into the statue, you can expect to be in lines at least 2 hours.

I couldn't finish my post yesterday.

Start at the Statue of Liberty. Either take the Staten Island Ferry across and back for just the view or take the actual Statue of Liberty/Ellis Island ferry that let's you go to Ellis Island. From there you can walk to groung zero, it's really close or hail a cab. Just hail a cab everywhere IMO. Go up to Empire State Bldg/Herald Square/Macy's then farther up to Grand Central Station- good food court if it's lunchtime. Times Square is next and there are INFO booths on the corners of 42nd St/51st St's and Broadway. In this area is MOMA and Rockefeller Center. West is the Intrepid Sea and Air museum/Javits center. Hubby will like this probably. Last go to Central Park. Can't imagine squeezing more then this in in a day.

Not really time to do this in the depth you propose. Great tour, but the OP's time is really limited. That's why I suggested the hop on hop off bus-have the car service drop OP off at Times Square pick up point and head south for the harbor cruise/ground zero. If you time it right, you should have about 1.5-2 hours for the cruise and ground zero and not wait for the bus at all. Then back on the bus Northbound for the Empire State Bldg. and the east side of Manhattan. The OP needs to get the schedule from GreyLine to coordinate this very closely. And while not a structured tour, there is narration so the OP knows what they are looking at and where they are.

By the time the OP disembarks the ship in Brooklyn and transits to Manhattan it will most likely be about 9:30-10:00AM. The ship sails from Brooklyn at 5:00PM. Cunard is pretty strict about wanting everyone reboarded by 4:00PM. Cunard will be embarking NEW pax in NYC with check in and everything, as well as pax that are continuing on the ship. It can be a real zoo with the QE2 in NYC. Not at all like a normal cruise, where almost all disembark and new pax embark. At best, the OP has about 5 hours. And the ship is there on Friday-traffic at it's worst in the afternoon.

The hop on, hop off bus tour I proposed INCLUDES the harbor cruise and a ticket to the Empire State Bldg observatory-no standing in line to get a ticket or trying to find an internet cafe to buy a ticket to the observatory.

Not really time to do this in the depth you propose. Great tour, but the OP's time is really limited. That's why I suggested the hop on hop off bus-have the car service drop OP off at Times Square pick up point and head south for the harbor cruise/ground zero. If you time it right, you should have about 1.5-2 hours for the cruise and ground zero and not wait for the bus at all. Then back on the bus Northbound for the Empire State Bldg. and the east side of Manhattan. The OP needs to get the schedule from GreyLine to coordinate this very closely. And while not a structured tour, there is narration so the OP knows what they are looking at and where they are.

By the time the OP disembarks the ship in Brooklyn and transits to Manhattan it will most likely be about 9:30-10:00AM. The ship sails from Brooklyn at 5:00PM. Cunard is pretty strict about wanting everyone reboarded by 4:00PM. Cunard will be embarking NEW pax in NYC with check in and everything, as well as pax that are continuing on the ship. It can be a real zoo with the QE2 in NYC. Not at all like a normal cruise, where almost all disembark and new pax embark. At best, the OP has about 5 hours. And the ship is there on Friday-traffic at it's worst in the afternoon.

The hop on, hop off bus tour I proposed INCLUDES the harbor cruise and a ticket to the Empire State Bldg observatory-no standing in line to get a ticket or trying to find an internet cafe to buy a ticket to the observatory.

I don't think they have much time for the Hop on Hop off bus either. I've seen LONG lines and extended waits at bus stops. Many people don't even get off the bus. Would this be an option??? For the whole loop with only a couple stops, you still have to allow several hours.

I don't think they have much time for the Hop on Hop off bus either. I've seen LONG lines and extended waits at bus stops. Many people don't even get off the bus. Would this be an option??? For the whole loop with only a couple stops, you still have to allow several hours.

Staying on the bus is an option, but getting off in Battery Park at least allows the little harbor cruise and Ground Zero actual walk around, instead of just a drive by. If it was me, I would just take a taxi or walk to Ground Zero, then get back on the bus.

I truly believe they have enough time to get on at Times Square, get off around Battery Park, take the little harbor cruise and walk over to Ground Zero, then get back on the bus and stay on the bus until the Empire State Bldg. If time allows, they can go to the observatory. If not, they can stay on the bus back to Times Square to return to the ship.

If push comes to shove, they could walk or taxi to Times Square (only about 10 city blocks) on the return. If the timing really got screwed up, they could always take a taxi from Battery Park to the Empire State bldg. Wouldn't cost too much and they already have tickets for the observatory. 5 hours is NOT a lot of time in NYC, but this seems to be the only RELATIVELY EASY option (somewhat of a guided tour, with some narration and a guide so they don't get completely lost) OTHER than a Cunard bus tour.

Doing it yourself with the HOHO tour is NOT going to be cheap. At least $70.00 for transport from Brooklyn PLUS the cost of the tour. That doesn't count taxi's if needed. As much as I hate ship tours (and I know you do too), this may be the one time it is prudent. What a shame the QE2 is docking in Brooklyn. It just ISN'T the same as the West Side Piers.

Whew, 5 hrs isn't much.

Could they just take a cab or car service over to the Staten Island Ferry Terminal from Red Hook? Take the ferry across (free) to view the Statue of Liberty, up to ground zero....

Johnql- Thanks for the heads up on Intrepid.

Where is our OP?

:) Thank you all for your advice, i am now thinking, maybe an organised tour off ship, i don't normally do this sort of thing, but looking at the time constraints this may be our best option.

I'll let you know, i just can't wait

Archived