Babys First Cruise @ 5 months old - HELP! Advice?

sas80

Any tips and tricks for cruising with a 5 month old? I already know that we will be spending more time in the room than we usually do (due to his naps).

I am thinking of taking advantage of the on board babysitting for dinner every night. He goes to bed around 8:30 pm so that will probably work out.

We have a JS booked, so we have a tub for baths for him (yay!)

We are bringing the Graco stroller.... It's just nicer and he really isnt ready for an umbrella stroller...

It's a 5 night - Costa Maya and Cozumel are our only stops. In Costa Maya we are doing a ruins tour and in Cozumel we are just going to browse the stores on shore.

He's a boob baby so we dont have to worry about bringing a bunch of formula with us - just diapers, wipes, sunscreen and changes of clothing...

Any advice would be appreciated!

I am wondering if we should bring his floor gym.... It folds and packs well and he loves it....?:confused:

we just got back from a 10 night with our 10 month old. Still not mobile. he was fine lying on the bed or floor with his toys - didn't take the gym.

for quick trips to the buffet and shows - i would take a baby sling or carrier - MUCH easier than the stroller. we used a baby pack back most of the time on the ship - worked great.

we just browsed around town in the ports - went to paradise Beach in Cozumel - it was nice. baby loved the ocean! Take a little blow up floatie or just carry them in.

it was really easy with the baby - I was surprised - he did great. the shipped rocked him all night long and he slept better then ever! LOL :o

Have FUN

Lisa

If your child is 5 months by the time of the cruise- the umbrella stroller should work just fine. Bring that instead- give it a test ride first but I guarantee a 5 month old will be fine in an umbrella stroller.

Five month olds are easy to travel with. Take all the usual medications... Tylenol, cold medicine.

I used the incabin babysitting and was very pleased with it. (on Celebrity).

Have a great time!

"I am thinking of taking advantage of the on board babysitting for dinner every night. He goes to bed around 8:30 pm so that will probably work out."

You mentioned you were in a JS, so I'm assuming you're sailing RCI - in-cabin sitting is for one year of age and over, so you might have to rethink this plan.

"I am thinking of taking advantage of the on board babysitting for dinner every night. He goes to bed around 8:30 pm so that will probably work out."

You mentioned you were in a JS, so I'm assuming you're sailing RCI - in-cabin sitting is for one year of age and over, so you might have to rethink this plan.

Yes, that is exactly what I was thinking. RCCL starts at age 1 for in cabin sitting. Sorry :(

We traveled last May in a JS with our 6 month old in had such a great time that we went again when she was 1 year! She did great. We brought a baby bjorn and her stroller (peg perego aria) very lightweight and foldable. You will have plenty of room in the JS. We were amazed at how much space there was. We had late seating and she slept right through dinner each night in her stroller reclined with the Rayshade canopy over the top. We too were planning on using babysitting until we found out onboard it was 1 year, but it worked out. The mini fridge was great for her formula and baby food jars. We brought a mini blow up pool (walmart $2) and set it down next to us on the deck unfilled as a "playpen" The sides and bottom were padded and she was not mobile yet so it worked great for her with some toys in it and there was plenty of room for it. She enjoyed the fisher price playgroup every morning. She slept very well, better than at home, I think due to the gentle rocking of the ship. Every one was very friendly on both of our trips. We didnt get any unfriendly remarks or stares. It was honestly a great vacation! She is 16 months now and this summer she will be going on her 3rd cruise!

Julie

Sara was 5 months old when we went on her first cruise. We did not use the babysitting, as she was too young. So every night I went to the cabin after dinner, put her in her PJ's and then into the bjourn. I took her to the show everynight, We went out on the promanade, and I have to say it was the most interesting quest that I ever participated in. I did not bring a stroller at all. We tendered in most of our ports, so I found it just easier to use the bjourn. I would bring the link rings and make my own make shift baby gym since it would take up less room, you can just link them between the chair and a draw or anything else in the cabin. Feel free to PM me if you have questions or post here. Enjoy. I traveled alone with my 5 month old and my 4 year old. IT was the time of my life.

Archived