Two secrets I thought I would share

Name game

A few times I have seen questions pertaining to these, or something like this. These are two great (I think) secrets I learned on Carnival.

1. At the Captain's party, past guest party, or any party where free alcohol is served, you can order what you want as opposed to just taking the free drinks. I started doing this a few years ago when I saw someone else doing it. Occasionally you get a server who wants a small tip, but it is well worth it.

2. In the dining room, if you don't like what is served then you can ask for grilled chicken, maybe a plain steak (can't remember if I'm sure about that one), or you can order from the children's menu. The children's menu has the basics (i.e. burgers, hotdogs) and they have the best mac and cheese which my table ends up ordering as an appetizer.

A few times I have seen questions pertaining to these, or something like this. These are two great (I think) secrets I learned on Carnival.

1. At the Captain's party, past guest party, or any party where free alcohol is served, you can order what you want as opposed to just taking the free drinks. I started doing this a few years ago when I saw someone else doing it. Occasionally you get a server who wants a small tip, but it is well worth it.

2. In the dining room, if you don't like what is served then you can ask for grilled chicken, maybe a plain steak (can't remember if I'm sure about that one), or you can order from the children's menu. The children's menu has the basics (i.e. burgers, hotdogs) and they have the best mac and cheese which my table ends up ordering as an appetizer.

The best tip: just relax and have a good time. Don't fret trying to figure evey which way to screw carnival, or smuggle on this or that or smuggle off this or that. Don't worry about stupid things like duct tape or bungee cords. Just have a good time.

The best tip: just relax and have a good time. Don't fret trying to figure evey which way to screw carnival, or smuggle on this or that or smuggle off this or that. Don't worry about stupid things like duct tape or bungee cords. Just have a good time.

10 years ago, we went on our 1st cruise not knowing anything. Booked everything with no help from anyone, no secret little tips, no expectations and preconceived notions, Just went with the flow and relaxed. It was the best cruise.

10 years ago, we went on our 1st cruise not knowing anything. Booked everything with no help from anyone, no secret little tips, no expectations and preconceived notions, Just went with the flow and relaxed. It was the best cruise.

I agree, while knowledge is power.99.999% of the cruising population just get on the ship and have a great time. When you read reviews, you start to have expectations. So if something was done on the ship a month ago, yet you didnt experience it..there is frustration and resentment.

Im an info junkie, so I will always go to great lengths to research my cruise. Yet,one of the best cruises I ever took was Legend, I booked it 10 days before sailing and didnt do a bit of research or planning. It was really refreshing, I appreciated things so much more.

I agree, while knowledge is power.99.999% of the cruising population just get on the ship and have a great time. When you read reviews, you start to have expectations. So if something was done on the ship a month ago, yet you didnt experience it..there is frustration and resentment.

Im an info junkie, so I will always go to great lengths to research my cruise. Yet,one of the best cruises I ever took was Legend, I booked it 10 days before sailing and didnt do a bit of research or planning. It was really refreshing, I appreciated things so much more.

This is so true. I find myself getting excited when I read a good comment or review of the Paradise (We are first time cruisers...ever...on Paradise in a week) and then freaking out when someone has a negative review or bad story. Sort of wish I would have just gone on the boat without any knowledge and taken it all in as it comes.

This is so true. I find myself getting excited when I read a good comment or review of the Paradise (We are first time cruisers...ever...on Paradise in a week) and then freaking out when someone has a negative review or bad story. Sort of wish I would have just gone on the boat without any knowledge and taken it all in as it comes.

Nothing wrong with reading the good review along with the bad. But whenever I read the reviews and find an overwhelming response of good reviews, when I do run across the few bad reviews, I take them with a grain of salt...especially once you realize what they are complaining about. Some of the bad reviewers tend to let one small thing spoil the entire review. You just have to go experience everything yourself. So just set out to have a good time on the boat and you'll be fine.

Knowledge is power, you be surprise how many people I help onboard because they were clueless with there hands up in the air like what do we do now lol. Some of these people I hear talking while in the elevator and I tell them what to do and they look at me like WOW do you work for Carnival LOL. Its good to know, and having a great website like Cruise Critic with a now fast fixed server is great. :D

Fred

One year I think it was on the Paradise 10 day cruise, I went up to the Pool deck at night to get some Pizza and Beer, it was spring break with lots of drunken college students. While I waited at the pool bar to be served a Young Beautiful Lady that was sitting beside me told me its going to be a while:confused:, I asked her why, she told me because this guy is catering to all of these drunking characters. So we started chatting, she was from Illinois and that this was her first cruise with her parents. I told her you mean a pretty babe like you are here alone and with no hook ups? with all of these guys no one is asking you out? She said yep, She was beautiful and I guess everyone was afraid to talk to her LOL... Anyways long story short, she was bored, I told her what!!!:eek: There are tons of things to do even now at night. I told her about all of the lounges people never even get to see on a cruise. I gave her a mission to go back and get into something more confortable and go find all of the Lounges onboard. She was so excitied and said forget the Beer, Im going to go have fun looking for the things she only read on the website. I said good bye as Wendy was giving me a look from across the pool deck as to what the heck :eek:

That was the end of that story, I think that night I slept in the Closet LOL.

Fred

I love getting good tips from people on this site. As someone who has cruised on Carnival 17 times, I always found things that I wish I had known prior to cruising. I should have checked the "secrets" site before I started this thread.

Here's a tip. Don't call her a boat. She's a ship. I made that mistake once and was corrected by omigosh so many people. Boats = little. Ships = BIG. Got it?

Or, as my Navy and Coast Guard brothers tell me Ship=ship, boat=submarine!:)

One year I think it was on the Paradise 10 day cruise, I went up to the Pool deck at night to get some Pizza and Beer, it was spring break with lots of drunken college students. While I waited at the pool bar to be served a Young Beautiful Lady that was sitting beside me told me its going to be a while:confused:, I asked her why, she told me because this guy is catering to all of these drunking characters. So we started chatting, she was from Illinois and that this was her first cruise with her parents. I told her you mean a pretty babe like you are here alone and with no hook ups? with all of these guys no one is asking you out? She said yep, She was beautiful and I guess everyone was afraid to talk to her LOL... Anyways long story short, she was bored, I told her what!!!:eek: There are tons of things to do even now at night. I told her about all of the lounges people never even get to see on a cruise. I gave her a mission to go back and get into something more confortable and go find all of the Lounges onboard. She was so excitied and said forget the Beer, Im going to go have fun looking for the things she only read on the website. I said good bye as Wendy was giving me a look from across the pool deck as to what the heck :eek:

That was the end of that story, I think that night I slept in the Closet LOL.

Fred

This is so funny. I certainly thought you were going to say that this is how you met your wife! I was shocked at the end. hahahaha. This story made me smile. Thanks.

P.S. like the tips also.

Okay, in a parallel to the boat/ship debate, here is another "pet peeve"of mine. When people call their cabin a room. I don't know why it bothers me so much but it does! :mad: :confused: Even my DH after 20+ cruises, still calls it a room. With all the problems in the world it seems silly, but it honestly ANNOYS me :(

Okay, in a parallel to the boat/ship debate, here is another "pet peeve"of mine. When people call their cabin a room. I don't know why it bothers me so much but it does! :mad: :confused: Even my DH after 20+ cruises, still calls it a room. With all the problems in the world it seems silly, but it honestly ANNOYS me :(

Karen, I'm with you. Cabin, deck, ship! How hard is that???? hahaha.

Funny thing I was in the navy for 8 years on a submarine which most definitly is always a boat! Somehow I thought that a ship always had emergency vessels, lifeboats attached. There fore even my submarine of 425 feet was a boat. Now that I think about, it makes no sense. Makes me think about the things I know and things I just think I know!

I am addicted to these boards as well. I have spent so much time here and boards on Cabo San Lucas, Playa Del Carmen and others that I think I know to much. No matter how many secrets and information I have about the Liberty I will sail on next week, it does not compare to my first Princess cruise 15 years ago. That ship had none of these modern amenities, and I knew nothing before I went. I got off at each port and found a driver or just explored on my own. No tours, no searching or asking others opinions. The internet has changes our world. Now I know what every room will look like on the ship, how many steps it is up the water slide, what night Lobster is served and what the waiter looks like who will bring it. I know how much it costs to go the the best beach in town, who to ask for the best deal, what part of the coral to look at to see the exact fish I want to see. Thanks Al Gore for too much information. I am addicted, but just like a drug user can't find the same high. I'm glad Al has moved on to warming up our planet, I am all for Florida temps all the way to Maryland!

What if they call it a stateroom???

Here's an ironic thing for you: The person who oversees all the cabin's staff is called the "Hotel" director. Maybe that's why your DH call his cabin a room. If we sail in a cabin that is smaller than usual we call it either the "pantry" or the "closet" :)

The internet has changes our world. Now I know what every room will look like on the ship, how many steps it is up the water slide, what night Lobster is served and what the waiter looks like who will bring it. I know how much it costs to go the the best beach in town, who to ask for the best deal, what part of the coral to look at to see the exact fish I want to see.

Yet, even knowing all of that beforehand, I'm sure it doesn't even come close to diminishing the pure excitement and awe of that first glimpse of a new port as the ship is docking. Because no posts or websites that I have seen have been able to capture THAT in words or pictures.

Have a great cruise!

Archived