Tipping for Room Service?

pansygirl

Always tip and $2 is usual. We use Room Service several times during the cruise. We never seem to get the same room service steward, so don't expect the tip to do anymore than reward and thank.

DO you and if so how much do you tip for room service?

Depends on what is ordered. If we order only a few items, we tip $2. If it is a full breakfast form my family, we tip $5 (max tip no matter what we order).;)

We did a transatlantic in November. Since we like to order coffee from room service as soon as we open our eyes, I had about 35 singles ready to dole out over the course of our cruise. The first morning it took over an hour to get a pot of coffee (it was NOT Hal) so from then on I went and got our coffee myself and tipped 'me'.

We just returned from a wonderful 7 day cruise on the Veendam. Had room service every morning and did have the same room service steward, except for disembarkation day. Always right on time and delivered very courteously and always with a gentle "good morning, did you sleep well?" I always tipped $5.00 no matter what we ordered. These guys do not receive any of the "end of the cruise" tips, so I felt $5.00 for my breakfast was appropriate.

We order breakfast by room service each morning while onboard and we always tip, $2 to $3 depending on how timely the service is.

Interesting that your amount changes. I'm sure if it is not timely it is the kitchen's fault not the server. I worked as waitress when in college and you can't serve what is not cooked. Yet, I took the heat and lost tips when it was not my fault.

I always tipped $5.00 no matter what we ordered. These guys do not receive any of the "end of the cruise" tips, so I felt $5.00 for my breakfast was appropriate.

I think giving an extra tip is fine, but I'm sure they are part of the new trickle down tipping system.

grammyc - that does't sound right that the room service stewards do not get anything at the end of the cruise? As far as I know all the tips are pulled. We were specificlly told on the Veendam (announced in the showroom) not to give out individual tips (give more at the end if you want) because all employees had to put all tips into the ships pool to be divided....

How is free room service free if you have to tip to have it delivered all of the time? It becomes a delivery fee.

I am one that believes that tiping should happen at the end of the cruise and would like to believe the show announcer if he stated that all tips are pulled...

grammyc user_online.gif vbmenu_register("postmenu_9315016", true);

Cool Cruiser

icon12.gif

We just returned from a wonderful 7 day cruise on the Veendam. Had room service every morning and did have the same room service steward, except for disembarkation day. Always right on time and delivered very courteously and always with a gentle "good morning, did you sleep well?" I always tipped $5.00 no matter what we ordered. These guys do not receive any of the "end of the cruise" tips, so I felt $5.00 for my breakfast was appropriate.

How is free room service free if you have to tip to have it delivered all of the time? It becomes a delivery fee.

You never have to tip to have room service delivered and there is no 'delivery fee'. Most people who tip for RS do so because they appreciate the convenience and service. But you will get the same service whether you tip or not.

Two bucks, two bucks, two bucks, three bucks. Don't know why I sometimes give three- just as the spirit moves me! I, too, take singles- 100 of them- for tipping, taxis, little things in port, etc.

I would definitely tip them and as you can see, no matter how looooong this thread gets, most people will say:

TWO BUCKS!

Have a great cruise!

I agree with the last poster. On ocassion I gave $3, too, perhaps for the speed or the smile or whatever. But I would never not tip, even when it took an hour+. Not his fault if not enough deliverers were on duty or if the set-up was slow. But as I said, if I have to wait an hour, I would much prefer to go up a few decks and get it myself!

Archived