Island Princess Aft End - Is It Bumpy

MTJSR

Looking to go on the Hawaii cruise and we are interested in an aft end cabin. During our grand princess cruise the aft end was a little bit bumpy during our dinners in the dinning room. we are wanting to make sure the cabins would not be a choppy ride with so many sea days. Is it a problem?

Grand Princess pics

http://new.photos.yahoo.com/nflraiders2000/album/576460762335453742#page1

Any aft cabin will feel more movement when the seas become rough. And from what I have experienced, and also read from others, this cruise can hit some rough seas a few days.

If you don't like riding the waves, I might suggest a midship cabin as you will feel much less movement then you will in an aft.

On the repo from LA to Vancouver last year, we were on Caribe deck, can't remember the cabin number, but it was the last full suite on the starboard side, and it was a VERY bumpy ride on the one rough sea day we had. I don't recall feeling any engine vibration, but I would have to say that the Island was less stable in high waves than the Diamond or the Star. I think on the Hawaii route it will be quite a choppy ride back there.

The dining rooms are somewhat forward, so you won't feel any aft vibration and they are very stable even in rough water. I highly recommend eating there on sea days - the Horizon Court is all the way forward AND up high, and it was really bouncy - lots of sick people, too.:eek:

Another thing to remember with the aft-most cabins is that the balconies are completely uncovered on Caribe & Dolphin decks, at least, and I think Aloha & Baja, too. Just the last one on each deck.

My main concern was that sleeping might be tough with the heavy vibration from the props slapping the water. But then on the other hand it might help promote better sleep. Just curious anyway...

Yes it could be bumpy in the back of the Island Princess.

I've been in the furthest back cabin on all of my Princess cruises including the Island Princess. The Island class ship doesn't seem as stable in heavy seas as the Grand and Sun class ships.

I have not stayed in an aft cabin, but on our recent cruise on the Island Princess we were in the mid-ship bump-out section on Caribe Deck 10 and I have to say I felt almost zero movement. Most of the public areas of the I.P. I found to be quite stable as well.

I think what you are talking about is vibration....not motion of the ocean...LOL....we were in an Aft on the Dawn, and the only time we felt vibration was when we pulled into port.....thrusters. Or, when we were hit with a wave from the side....felt like an earthquake....but not a chronic problem.

Archived