Hop On Hop Off Tours

Planning for our Baltics trip this summer....

I did not know about these Hop On Hop Off tours until reading the CC boards. Generally speaking...is it a good way to see the area? I like the idea of getting off to look around on our own and then hopping back on to see the next atraction.

Contemplating HOHO in London and Helsinki so far.

Bob

Generally speaking...is it a good way to see the area?

I've taken Hop On Hop Off tours in many cities around the world and have NEVER been disappointed.

I'd take it over an organized tour by the cruise anytime. :D

Google Hop on Hop off and the name of the city you want info for.

/quote]

Bob -- Thanks. It worked (although I almost skipped over it because the URL says Stockholm).

This is the place: http://www.stockholmsightseeing.com/EN/HELSINKI/hop-on-hop-off-bus-tour.htm

All the info that you need -- prices for 2007, a list of stops and a map-- are on this one page. Perfect.

In Helsinki, the HOHO buses was parked beside our Star Princess. Last year during our August cruise, I walked out onto our balcony, looked down to the dockside, saw the double-decker HOHO bus, and pushed my family out of our cabin within 5 minutes to catch the bus. It was great but later in the afternoon, it seems to run not as often. So if you are planning to get back to the ship, watch your time and don't wait til the last minute. Although you can always hail a taxi back to the dock and English is widely spoken in Helsinki.

We used the HOHO in London before our 2002 cruise. We had 3 days before our cruise. This was a great way to see it all and stop where we wanted for as long as we wanted.

If you haven't checked into it see if you can get tickets to the after hours tour at the Tower of London, it is called Ceremony of the Keys. It was the highlight of our stay. You go after dark and there is a ceremony that they do for only about 45 people. Very moving. Maybe someone can tell you the correct name. Have fun London is a lovely city.

Vicki

Mostly HOHO-tours are operated by double-deckers.

Depends to the vehicle and the weather:

In London in an old historical double-decker during it rains and unable to sit upstairs it was the worst tour I ever made...

Regards,

HeinBloed

I've used the HOHO bus in London and it was great. It was raining and there was a covered area on the top (front) enough room for about 12...most other people sat on the lower level during the rain. There are different routes and you can choose which pass you want to buy. And some places have different companies operating them. We felt it was a great way to get around for the 3 days we were there.

We're also thinking about using them in Copenhagen and possibly Helsinki.

I've been checking out the websites. Has anyone used the internet to purchase HOHO tickets in advance? A few of the websites offer this (some even offer discounts) and I am curious to hear what those who have done it have to say. Is it worth doing? Or is it just one more thing I have to worry about losing or forgetting?

Thanks.

I've been checking out the websites. Has anyone used the internet to purchase HOHO tickets in advance? A few of the websites offer this (some even offer discounts) and I am curious to hear what those who have done it have to say. Is it worth doing? Or is it just one more thing I have to worry about losing or forgetting?

Thanks.

We have done a few HOHO tours and it is not necessary to purchase tickets in advance. The tickets we have purchased are good for a 24 hour period from when you purchase it. You will not have any problem getting on the buses. and yes.......we enjoyed them and they are worth it....:)

I wouldn't bother purchasing the HOHO tickets in advance unless you are getting a decent discount off of regular fare. We were able to pay by credit card for our rides in Helsinki. They also took USD and Euros. These buses are basically first come, first serve with the goofy headsets that sometimes didn't work. In Helsinki, we sat on the top deck for a complete route and then got off at the marketplace second time around.

• 1 month later...

We did the HOHO in London, and we absolutely loved it. Absolutely loved London. Want to go back as we were only there 2 days, and it's not long enough.

Joanne

We did the HOHO in Helsinki last year. It leaves from the dock and goes to just about all the major attractions. It was a great way to see Helsinki at a reasonable cost.

Thoroughly agree. We took a combined HOHO and boat cruise. We boarded the HOHO right by the dock and the boat started from Market Place so we just got off there to join the boat tour and afterwards boarded the bus to continue along the route stopping off to see the various places of interest.

We did the same thing in Copenhagen but had to get the ship's shuttle into the Main Square where we picked upthe HOHO bus - this was a bit more expensive than the one in Helsinki. Again there are several route options to suit your needs.

Good Luck with your plans

Suron

Archived