Any problems with jewelers in port?

BaskGal

Have any of you had any problems in purchasing jewelry in port? Did you find that you had overpaid? Did you purchase an inferior product? Were you able to remedy the problem once you returned home? Any info would be appreciated.

I bought a lot of jewelry in the past, most of it in St Thomas. I always do my homework about how much is something similar will cost where I live. Came to final decision - there is no bargains there anymore. At best the prices about the same, so if you like something - buy it. From what I've heard over 20 years od cruising - a lot of people spent a lot time and aggravation to try to "fix" the problem even in CC recommended stores.

Our group bought 3 digital cameras and a small diamond bracelet in St Maarten.

We had asked the advice of the ship photographer on the product and store before purchase but I think you pretty much have to hope for the best. As Isabella says - if you like it - buy it but be prepared to write it of if need be.

You may get lucky and find a store that will look after you in after sales and this would be a bonus.

Just check out the calibre of the store as much as possible if you are planning to spend a lot of money but even so I would imagine that recourse is pretty impossible even on recommended stores.

I've been involved with good and bad experiences, but mostly good.

As a guy I've gotten great deals on cufflinks watches and loose stones. The Alexandrite we bought at DI in Cozumel was not only a genuine Russian stone, it appraised at a WHOLE lot more than we paid for it by two seperate jewelers ( of course that raised our insurance premiums:p ).

Precious metal prices are pretty much the same around the globe now. The difference you will find on metals, and watches comes down to just the sales tax.

I have to agree with the phrase "Buyer beware". If you want something specific, do some research, ask questions that you already know the answers to , and ask yourself how much am I really saving?

To years ago we were in St.Marteen and my SIL wanted a 'mothers ring'.

We had told her to look for loose stones of a specific size, then have them set when she returned home...Unfortunately her husband is always looking for a deal. So they found what they wanted, then were talked into a few more diamonds as accents ( the quality was good, but now it was going away from what she wanted ) then they would mount them and ship to ring to her so they wouldn't pay sales tax.

The ring came in.

The stones were set in the wrong order, and the mounting of them was the worse you have ever seen...However they were the stones they purchased, it was an 18K setting, it was just poorly done.

It ended up costing them over $300 dollars more to take it their jeweler and have everything remounted and reset. A lot more than what the sales tax would have been to begin with. Not to mention the jeweler asking why they just didn't buy loose stones and have him set them.

Now on the other hand It might have come out perfectly. It was a 50/50 chance they were willing to take.

The next trip, they bought loose stones.

While I don't think these jewelers are out to rip anyone off, it can get very expensive and time consuming to settle a dispute overseas in a different country. Know your options. Know your product. Do your homework.

Dave:eek:

Never had a problem with jewelry in St. Thomas...but we purchased at the larger stores .

Purchased a beautiful diamond at DI 10 years ago....Much higher appraisal than purchase price. Also purchased a TAG and Movado at AH Riise. No Problems!

Just know your products and prices before you go...Have FUN ! :D

We've had good luck with Cardow's on St. Thomas. Appraisals at home have ranged from 2-3 times higher than our purchase prices. Make sure you know what a similar piece of jewelry costs back home so you don't get caught up "in the moment" and then regret it later.

Hubby surprised me wanting to purchase a ring at DI in PVR. I was actually kind of upset that he sprung it on me and I should have gone with my gut reaction! I am a plan, plan, research, study, research, plan some more kind of person and I didn't like spending all that money without preplanning! I calmed myself down and went along with him b/c I didn't want to upset hime because he had genuine intentions. I continue to have doubts about the authenticity and am going to take it to an appraiser to check it out. The only problem is that DI has a 30day guarantee for non-jewelry store appraisers, and I am having difficulty finding one in my area.

I know any other wife would be thrilled that their hubby wanted to buy a ring for them, but I feel like I have to do the leg work now after the fact. I probably won't even enjoy the ring until I know everything I could about gems.

Sorry about ranting and raving. Can't do it at home, we'll never shop together again. ;)

Usually DI gives you their certificate of authenticity, I have found the quality to be what they say or better, not to say that it is possible something may not be what they say.

Not sure where you live, but any local jewelry store will do an appraisal for a small fee, if not there must be a mall with a zales or other store that could have it sent out and done or refer you to someone.

My appraisals usually take 2 or 3 days depending on which jeweler I go to and how busy they are.

I wouldn't worry too much, I'm sure everything is fine, but it would be good to have it appraisd and added to your insurance regardless.

Dave:eek:

Thank you for reassuring me. I actually posted this on the wrong cruise line site by accident, but do appreciate all the feedback.

I have scheduled an appraisal w/an independent gemologist and I can only pray for the best. I have a gut feeling that we grossly overpaid, but as long as the stones are not glass, I will be happy. I cannot let this ruin my enjoyment of the ring. My husband's intentions were pure and there are worse things in this world than overpaying. I'll just have him put in some extra overtime :D

I will let you know what comes about.

I bought a beautiful 18K bracelet in Lahaina last Oct. The store is David Brian, and has only been open since the beginning of Oct. I saw my same bracelet in the Fine Jewelry Dept. at Bloomingdale's, and I was extremely pleased with the amount I paid in Maui. This store is located right on Front St.

Karyn

The best advice for dealing with port jewelers is "let the buyer beware" just like you should be with any jeweler. You should know prices for your purchases (check on-line before you leave home) and only deal with reputable jewelers. The recommendations made on-board are pretty much useless since Celelbrity only recommends jewelers who pay a fee to the cruise line. This means that Celebrity (and other cruise lines) may recommend inferior jewelers and totally ignore the best jewelers. On our recent Infinity cruise that stopped in Rio for 3 days, the ship would only recommend "Amsterdam Sauer" since they paid a large promotional fee. Meanwhile, they ignored "H Stern" which is a much higher quality jeweler with the advantage of having offices in the USA where they can help deal with any future problems from purchases. In the past few years we have noticed thats it often possible to buy fine jewelry and electronics inside the USA for less money than you will find in the Caribbean and South America. As an example, it is relatively easy to find GIA graded gems (such as diamonds) for 40% less on the internet than in any jewelery store. Why? Because on-line companies have low overhead and its very competitive. Before somebody "yells" about the uncertainty of buying on-line keep in mind that when you go to a jeweler in St Thomas (or any other country/island) you have no way of knowing the real value of your purchase. As to the last post, as much as we also like Bloomingdales, it is not a place to buy good jewelry at a fair price. If I wanted to buy good jewels in NYC I would be heading over to 47th street where you can buy direct from wholesale jewelers and avoid the huge markups of Department Stores (usually over 100%). As to jewelry appraisals, try asking a jeweler if they will buy your jewels for the appraised price!

Ok, I got the ring checked out today and I am very satisfied. What I was told was in fact what I had. Yes, I did overpay, but was told that not by too much. I just wanted reassurance from a neutral party to tell me what I actually purchased. I am now going to enjoy my ring and remind my husband that I don't do too well with surprises ;)

The best advice for dealing with port jewelers is "let the buyer beware" just like you should be with any jeweler. You should know prices for your purchases (check on-line before you leave home) and only deal with reputable jewelers. The recommendations made on-board are pretty much useless since Celelbrity only recommends jewelers who pay a fee to the cruise line. This means that Celebrity (and other cruise lines) may recommend inferior jewelers and totally ignore the best jewelers. On our recent Infinity cruise that stopped in Rio for 3 days, the ship would only recommend "Amsterdam Sauer" since they paid a large promotional fee. Meanwhile, they ignored "H Stern" which is a much higher quality jeweler with the advantage of having offices in the USA where they can help deal with any future problems from purchases. In the past few years we have noticed thats it often possible to buy fine jewelry and electronics inside the USA for less money than you will find in the Caribbean and South America. As an example, it is relatively easy to find GIA graded gems (such as diamonds) for 40% less on the internet than in any jewelery store. Why? Because on-line companies have low overhead and its very competitive. Before somebody "yells" about the uncertainty of buying on-line keep in mind that when you go to a jeweler in St Thomas (or any other country/island) you have no way of knowing the real value of your purchase. As to the last post, as much as we also like Bloomingdales, it is not a place to buy good jewelry at a fair price. If I wanted to buy good jewels in NYC I would be heading over to 47th street where you can buy direct from wholesale jewelers and avoid the huge markups of Department Stores (usually over 100%). As to jewelry appraisals, try asking a jeweler if they will buy your jewels for the appraised price!

The only reason I mentioned Bloomingdale's was that my bracelet is very unusual, and I happened to see it in their jewelry dept. I usually shop through the San Francisco Jewelry Mart, but on this last cruise, this bracelet really caught my eye...and well you know...just had to have it!

Baskgal, a little advice you didn't ask for:

When you look at those 'gems' and they glitter, instead of seeing the glitter of falling coins that you may have overpaid, try seeing the stars in the eyes of a man who gave you love the best way he knew how. Then count your lucky stars because you apparently have quite a few.

Oh, and lighten up, girl. There are worse things than surprises like these. (And may you never experience them)

JMO

Archived