Fashion Rules for over 50s?

AnnieC

Hi, this is my first post. I've just been shopping for my May cruise and have discovered that I have all sorts of self-imposed rules for what I buy that I wasn't even aware of until today (I just had my first taste of a personal shopper, and rejected just about everything the poor woman produced. When I left she was lying in the recovery position). These include: no bows, no lace, no frills, nothing above the knee, no sequins apart from evening wear, no logos (goes without saying), no smock tops (wore them in the 60s - never wear anything the second time around:)), no 60s swirly prints (ditto), nothing clingy (my behind appears to have mysteriously migrated to my midriff), no bare legs with cocktail length dresses, no flower-shaped earrings and I could go on and on.....

The problem is that unfortunately the shops here are full of all the items mentioned above, leaving almost nothing that I think I CAN wear. Have I lost the plot in my old age or do any of you have your own lists of what not to wear?

Annie

:D You could be me!

I think you may be looking in the wrong store, I find plenty to buy on a continuous basis, even when I say I am not buying one more thing:rolleyes:

I have no idea what department stores there are in London, so I'll not make any comments there. Just try a different store, different department than the Juniors section. Keep looking :)

I never seem to have a problem finding clothing that is both appropriate and feels good to wear. Sometimes I wish I did, especially when it comes to shoes!

I agree with Kathy, perhaps try different stores or shop online where the choices are limitless:).

What are the over 50's wearing in London right now? I will be in London in early May and don't want to look like I'm trying to look too young but don't want to look dowdy. I keep hearing that Europeans wear a lot of black and dark colors and a lot of skirts. I don't wear skirts very much and although I almost always wear black pants I like colors in my tops. Any input for us over 50's traveling to London? :)

What are the over 50's wearing in London right now? I will be in London in early May and don't want to look like I'm trying to look too young but don't want to look dowdy. I keep hearing that Europeans wear a lot of black and dark colors and a lot of skirts. I don't wear skirts very much and although I almost always wear black pants I like colors in my tops. Any input for us over 50's traveling to London? :)

The way I'm going at the moment, blue rinse, twinset and sensible tweed skirt:); there just doesn't seem to be anything much in between the stuff my daughters would wear and the clothing as worn by my mother. That's partly why I posted in the first place.

To try and answer you, along with all my friends the same age I live in jeans (dark coloured) and sweaters/t shirts. Alternatively, longer skirts with flip-flops/sandalls and t-shirts. Lots of linen in the summer.

The Marks and Spencer website, www.marksandspencer.co.uk, will give you lots of pointers - we ALL shop there. Have a look at the Per Una range, but beware of the peasant-type skirts, resplendant with bows and trimmings - a very popular look, but IMHO makes us look like geriatric milkmaids:). The Limited Collection and Autograph collections on the same site are well worth a look for ideas.

Hope this helps, Annie

Even Twiggy doesn't seem to be doing much for those fashions!

I tend to agree with you my frilly,bow days are gone..I too stay away from the wildly patterned ,heavy fabrics. My colours have become more monochromatic..I find the most flattering designs on me now must be tailored and classic with clean lines..The challenge in this is to find the style that is youthful as well. My approach to shopping which is less frustrating is to shop at the shops I know that carry the labels that suit my figure and life style and get to know the sales staff...especially the well dressed female clerks in my age range!

I would be interested to hear what designers or clothing lines others are finding the best. :p

I would be interested to hear what designers or clothing lines others are finding the best. :p

For me, I like separates by Ellen Tracy, Dana Buchman, Anne Klein. These make up my business wardrobe and are classics.

I am a big fan of twinsets and recently discovered Bellini (fitted, ribbed silk knits). They travel well and I can take the cardigan on or off dependig on whether I am in the midst of a hot flash or a cold sweat, sometimes all in the course of five minutes:).

For dresses I prefer wrap and mock wrap styles. David Meister fits well and I like the fabric used in a lot of his clothing. It is jersey with lots of body and drapes well. I also like Chetta B and Kay Unger.

I wear a lot of skirts in summer and favor the washable silks as well as boho variety.

For evening wear, my absolute favorite is Carmen Marc Valvo. For travel, I generally pack matte jersey dresses by David Meister.

For me, I like separates by Ellen Tracy, Dana Buchman, Anne Klein. These make up my business wardrobe and are classics.

I am a big fan of twinsets and recently discovered Bellini (fitted, ribbed silk knits). They travel well and I can take the cardigan on or off dependig on whether I am in the midst of a hot flash or a cold sweat, sometimes all in the course of five minutes:).

For dresses I prefer wrap and mock wrap styles. David Meister fits well and I like the fabric used in a lot of his clothing. It is jersey with lots of body and drapes well. I also like Chetta B and Kay Unger.

I wear a lot of skirts in summer and favor the washable silks as well as boho variety.

For evening wear, my absolute favorite is Carmen Marc Valvo. For travel, I generally pack matte jersey dresses by David Meister.

Ralph Lauren Woman is great for those who like a classic well-fitted look but might be a little larger.

A group of friends and I started meeting for coffee on Tuesday mornings after we dropped our kids off at school. They were in grade 7-8 then. Now they are all in university. We are all of the same age and social status and tend to dress the same. Beige, black, navy in winter. Lots of twinsets. We don't tend to trust prints. If we wear colour, it will be a tank top or tshirt under a sweater. Or sometimes we go crazy and buy each other funny printed socks. I think "What Not to Wear" would probably trash all our clothes as being too comfortable and safe. However, even though we aren't flashy, we are always appropriately dressed.

We do have cute handbags, though, especially for summer.

Viv

I don't understand why those of us over 50 should be so concerned about what others think about the way we dress. A lot of us have raised daughters to not follow like sheep ridiculous clothing trends. Honestly, I don't dress for any stranger. The only one I care about what he thinks is my husband. For my upcoming cruise I thought that maybe I should wear longer shorts in deference to my age. After trying on several pairs that came down to my knees that looked totally ridiculous on me, (remember Bermuda shorts). I came to my senses. Wear what is comfortable and don't let anyone tell you that because of your age you need to dress like a Grandma. The most important thing is that you feel comfortable in what you have on. Believe me, if I had bought those ridiculous looking shorts that emphasized my thighs, I would not have felt comfortable and would never wear them again. If you don't have the financial resources to buy designer clothes, wear what is comfortable. This is not a fashion parade. There will be thousands of people on the ship all dressing in different manners.

Ralph Lauren Woman is great for those who like a classic well-fitted look but might be a little larger.

Dana Buchman also has a nice Woman's line. I like the wool pants, but live in the south so I never BUY the wool pants:rolleyes:

Dana Buchman also has a nice Woman's line. I like the wool pants, but live in the south so I never BUY the wool pants:rolleyes:

Hoyaheel, I live in FL and have quite a few pair of tropical weight wool slacks.

I find they work for me year round, although in the middle of our summer season even being naked is not enough to offset the temps and humidity.

I agree that the traditional "wool" fabric is too much for the south.

I'm 55 years old and when I shop, I remind myself I'm not 25 anymore. That means not only am I not as "svelte" as I was at that age, but there are styles that just are meant for the twenty somethings, not women in their 50's. That being said, it really depends on your own taste. Some women like beaded, razzly-dazzly sort of things. I prefer the more elegant looking, understated clothes. My arms are not as nice as they were, so I don't show as much skin. I don't agree about lace though...one of my favorites. In fact I just got a gown at Jessica McClintock, on sale, that is strapless, a full length ice blue satan skirt, and the bodice is covered in ice blue lace with silver highlights. It comes with an adorable bolero jacket, long sleeves, made entirely of lace. So even though I don't much like how it looks without the jacket, with it, I feel like Cinderella.

And don't you really judge by what the mirror, and your own personal opinion of that reflection, tells you anyhow? If I'm ever in doubt, is this too young looking, too tight, too whatever, I always go for the more conversative. That's just me. I respect the right of any woman to dress as she so chooses!

Jane :)

Chico's is perfect for me! I'm losing weight and can now wear more of their knit tops. The other day I got new black "slinky" tank and pants with a tropcial-colored silk unconstructed jacket, necklace and earrings. I think most body types can find elegant-looking things there that aren't too expensive and are generally easy to travel with and care for.

While I don't think Chico's has hit the UK yet, it might be worth looking at their website for some ideas: http://www.chicos.com/store/home.asp.

By the way, I didn't assume "London" meant the U.K. There's one in Canada, too. :D

So, Annie, I looked at the web site you posted and liked quite a bit of whta I saw. I have to agree with you, I'm not crazy for the long skirts, if I wear a skirt it's knee length or calf length, I'm probably out of fashion there :rolleyes: . A long skirt like that makes me feel like I'm wearing a tablecloth.

But, many of the tops and dresses I saw were great for your age group. These are typical of clothing I may buy and I don't think much of it would appeal to younger women at all. Still, it's not what an older woman may choose.

Pair those tops with a great pair of pants (trousers?) instead of those skirts.

Hi,

My mom is in her 60's and always has lots of luck at Chico's.....their pants come above the belly button.....and also likes Cold Water Creek. I always try to get her to try something new and she always trys it unwillingly (sp), but 9 times out of 10 she likes it. I just got her to buy brown for Easter Sunday. Sorry, I digress....she always finds wonderful items at those stores. They seem to be age appropriate and always classy. Nordstrom also has a nice department! Good luck!!

Take care,

sandi

All wonderful suggestions, but don't forget Annie is in the UK, not the US :)

Many thanks to you all for the helpful responses. Yes, I'm in the UK, but the websites for the companies suggested have given me some good ideas that I can adapt here (but thanks for the kind thought, Happy ks).

BTW, in the TV advertising over here, Twiggy looks absolutely fantastic (better than the younger models). I wish.........

Thanks again, Annie

Annie I agree! I have always loved Twiggy and I was so pleased to see her sign a contract with Marks and Spencer and them to have the wisdom to do so. We lost two great clothiers in Canada within a few years of each other your Marks and Spencer and our beloved Eaton's. Shopping over here has never been the same, Good luck on your acquisitions! Karen.:p

Another good place to shop for well made everyday clothes that are more classic is http://www.orvis.com. I just bought a very nice sweater set at Talbot's. They do have nice clothes. The only problem with Chico's on line is that they don't have nearly the selection that they have at their stores. Although, I did get a more fitted jacket on line from them that was not in the stores. It was in their travel line fabric but is lined and fitted at the waist. I do like hearing suggestions of where people have found nice things.

I just turned 60 myself and I normally only have a couple of rules.

1. I don't show my arms unless I'm in a swimsuit.

2. No mini skirts, I don't care how nice my legs are!

3. Obviously, I don't show my naval!:eek:

4. No butt crack with thong showing looks good on anyone!!!!

5. Nothing too low cut, but I don't totally hide the girls!

Usually on a cruise I wear tank tops with a light Jeans-type jacket over it and capri pants or a nice, comfortable top. At night I wear my capri pants with fancier tops and I have a couple of linnen jean-style jackets I wear over the tops. For formal night I wear a cocktail dress with high heels and a nice wrap of some kind. :D

Archived