Who stays in cabin during drill?

jhall131

I have been on 5 cruises and have attend all the drills. My hubby won't go. He thinks I am silly. But for me I don't want to have to think about my escape route in the unlikey event of the real thing.

As this is your first cruise I advise you to attend the drill.

One bit of advice, however. Don't hurry, as they have you line up from the back. My DH and I always wait a good 5 or 10 minutes to arrive and then we get to stand in the front. It's much less claustrophobic and usually not as hot as in the back of 6 deep hot bodies.

We were made to go to the drill. They came and checked the rooms and run us out. This has happened on the Sensation and the Miracle. I don't like them, but we must do, what we must do. Happy sailing.

we skipped the drill once. we got married on board. the room steward came in and my hubby was like we just got married and had to put the beds together the steward smiled left and put a note on our door as to where to go ICE. We have gone to all the others. Side note that was 9 years ago today.

It's probably a good idea to attend the boat drill, but sometimes it can be pretty awful. On Costa a year or so ago, we were out on deck for at least 20-30 minutes in the Florida heat while they made all the announcements in about 5 different languages. One person in our party became ill and had to be helped down to the ship's doctor's office. :eek: Fortunately it was just a little too much heat for him and he was OK. But when you're wearing those big life jackets, it gets pretty hot if you're out there too long. But really the bottom line is, it's the law that they do the drills and you should attend. ;)

Particularly on a first cruise I wouldn't skip it. Its useful to know how to evacuate if you need to. The vests feel goofy, but once you realize everyone is wearing them its quite painless. Every cruise I've been on recently have been taking roll call by cabin #. If you don't have someone at the muster station to call your room # out they tend to go looking for you and sometimes even page you. Costa's drill is long because of the 5 languages, but IMO its all part of the experience. There's little point being a stick in the mud, just go.

Hey, I just look at it as a perfect "Kodak Moment" to capture the family in their wonderful orange life jackets. We try to make the best of it. This time (3/25 Magica) my daughter will be 16, and my son 13 - I bet that will be a good picture. But seriously, very important to have the kids (and us) know where to go.

Archived