Embarkation Ft. Lauderdale

starskyfan

My husband and I are cruising out of Ft. Lauderdale next week on Princess and we have made our own arrangements to get to the ship. My travel agent tells me they will not allow us to carry our own bags on board. Has anyone tried to do this at this port with any success? I can't imagine them forcing me to give up my bags if I don't want to, but I would like to be prepared just in case. Thanks in advance. Brenda

We cruised on the CB out of Ft. Lauderdale in Sept of 2004 and took our bags all the way to the cabin with us with no problem whatsoever. We saw others do the same as well. As long as they can fit through the xray machine to be scanned.....

Maybe things have changed since then - I don't know.

image.php?code=0XT13240cbXk17Xs14XCaribbean%20Princess

They were stopping people on 2/25 who tried to bring everything with them. Only carry on size stuff can go with you.

Now if you're worried about having your bag on time for dinner or something - let me just say Princess's delivery was the fastest ever. We boarded around 1:15 or so, and our bags were at our cabin by 3:30. They have an incredibly efficient embarkation process.

My husband and I are cruising out of Ft. Lauderdale next week on Princess and we have made our own arrangements to get to the ship. My travel agent tells me they will not allow us to carry our own bags on board. Has anyone tried to do this at this port with any success? I can't imagine them forcing me to give up my bags if I don't want to, but I would like to be prepared just in case. Thanks in advance. Brenda

They will let you take your carryon only. Your other bags will be delivered to your cabin. That's why it is important to pack one outfit to wear after you get aboard, in your carryon, for insurance. But more than likely, your other bags will be there shortly. Sunday night dress code is very casual; just can't wear shorts in the dining room. And there are other places to eat on ship.;)

When you go through the check in process.....you will see that having your bags with you will be an obstruction / hazard for you.......and for your fellow passengers.....as it is crowded and there are lots of people in a compact space......everyone would be tripping over your bags.

Thank you everyone. I replied earlier but just as I was about to hit the submit button, the power went out! I cruised out of Baltimore on RC last year and my travel agent warned me so I went figuring I "had" to let them go. Of course there were plenty of people in line with all their luggage, and it wasn't obstructive at all as the line was roped off. It ticked me off a little bit, because I am the type that likes to get unpacked right away and then it's done! Plus, one advantage of not flying is not having to worry about losing your bags. The previous cruise on Princess I didn't expect or attempt to carry them since we had been busesd from the airport. We arrived at 7pm and our luggage didn't arrive until sometime in the middle of the night which was very inconvenient. With us being able to check in early though with any luck that shouldn't be a problem on this cruise. Guess I'll just have to "go with the flow." Thanks again! Brenda

Why would you want to?

I don't understand what I'm doing wrong. I posted a reply and it doesn't seem to be there, and yet as I am replying to this post I can see it below. Sorry this is my first message board:) Hopefully you can see that I did make a reply, but if you can't, let me say thanks again to everyone that responded! Brenda

Have you ever flown? If the bags you are bringing on the cruise fit in the x-ray machines at the airport, then they should fit through the x-ray machine at the port. But if they didn't, i.e. you checked them at the airport, then you will need to check them at the port.

Have you ever flown? If the bags you are bringing on the cruise fit in the x-ray machines at the airport, then they should fit through the x-ray machine at the port. But if they didn't, i.e. you checked them at the airport, then you will need to check them at the port.

Yes I have flown and no they definitely won't fit through the small x-ray machine. I'll just make sure I have everything I need for the first night, just in case the bags don't make it right away.

This your first cruise?

The process is just like flying. You are allowed your carryons - all else should be checked.

Princess is really good about getting luggage out as soon as it clears the ship.

Early on, early baggage delivery.

Relax - Enjoy

Archived