***LIVE*** FROM THE GOLDEN PRINCESS with Arlene & Tony

arlenemilt

EasyKruz:

I have to chime in now also. Like Largin, I love reading your posts. They have been so enjoyable and give the best information.

Reading your information on the trip to Antartica has sold me on this cruise. Have wanted to take it before, but that actually did it. I'm definitely going to be looking at this one seriously now.

Thanks for the great posts and do please tell us more when you can.

Hulagirl

Isn't it wonderful to know you are convincing next years cruisers that they MUST do this? One question for all of you. Do you think a balcony is a must for this trip or is it something you can't really use because of the weather? I am trying to decide if it's worth the extra expense.

There are some stunning shots coming from the bridge cam.This part of the cruise must surely be yet another highlight.

49ldvf7.jpg

The Golden will be in the Chilean Fjords for the Next 2 Days,

I loved the Fjords in Norway & these look spectacular also;)

I've been glancing at them all day, while I try to work:(

jot-Bill:)

EasyKruz:

I have to chime in now also. Like Largin, I love reading your posts. They have been so enjoyable and give the best information.

Thanks for the great posts and do please tell us more when you can.

Hulagirl

Ditto... I don't think we could afford the Antarctica cruise but this itinerary sounds wonderful... we are going to drive from Santiago to Mendoza after the cruise.. thanks for posting and thanks for all these web shots:)

Well I just got home and got a report from the Golden, they had a a really good time at the Elite luncheon today, and she actually ate it. The bad weather and seas they had earlier today have calmed considerably. They did actually have over 100MPH gusts and some balcony furniture went over the side, but not theirs.

Sounds like a wonderful trip.

Isn't it wonderful to know you are convincing next years cruisers that they MUST do this? One question for all of you. Do you think a balcony is a must for this trip or is it something you can't really use because of the weather? I am trying to decide if it's worth the extra expense.

Mommykim,

We were on the Feb. 12 sailing of the Golden, and got lucky at the pier, we were upgraded from oceanview cat. E to balcony BC!! Knowing what I know now, I would definitely get a balcony for sure!! Even if it's chilly most of the time, we spent so much time on it. Especially leaving from Ushuaia to view the Glaciers, and the two days after Punta Arenas on the way to Puerto Montt through the fjords. The view was simply breathtaking, and if you get cold, you sneak in for a minute or two... it's great!

Plus you can listen to Joe May's commentary on the TV, channel 35 I think.

But the best, is when I woke up in the middle of the night, I would go out on the balcony to see the hundreds, no the thousands, never mind... the millions of stars in the sky... nothing like it!!!

I hope I was convincing enough... cause I really think it's worth it!!

MC ;)

Kim,

If you can swing it, go for the balcony. It is worth every penny for this cruise. Having so much scenic cruising time it's wonderful to be able to go out on your own balcony.

We too had some interesting weather, winds & rough seas. Sometimes they would close the decks due to the high winds, but, your balcony never closes.

Go for it :)

Cathy

Arlene, we had that same pasta dish on the Antarctic cruise. Vincinzo had it made for us and then gave the ladies at the table the recipe. I've made it once since my return home. It is yummy. I don't remember if you said you were in traditional dinning or anytime. Which dinning room and table do you have?

Is the recipe easy and can you post it:D :D

There had been lots of rain the previous day or two in the Falklands/Malvinas (trying to be politically neutral here) and the "road" over the farmland to get to the cove was very muddy. So muddy that the first tour out got bogged down and was very late getting back, so the second tour was late getting started and the dominos began to fall. End of the story was that the final tour of the day (clever me, decided to do the last one on the theory that the penguins who were out feeding during the day would be returning to the colony...) anyway - it was cancelled as it was impossible to get us out there and back and make the tender. As it was, the next to the last tour has some spaces available, we were able to go, slogged around the colony with Tina and Ken, got major mud and unmentionable goo all over everything, and had a wonderfully good time, including a wild and wooly ride back to the tender pier in our assorted 4 wheel vehicles. Drivers were all either family or friends of the farmer who owns the property where the penguins have their rookery, and are recruited to help out. Was a wonderful excursion, but they did have to hold the ship for us to get back.

Today we had amazingly sunny, reasonably warm, very calm weather in Punta Arenas, did a nice private tour (half day of the highlights of the city,) stopped off at a grocery for some Chilean wine (very good prices!) and back for a relaxing afternoon on board.

Usual suspects at dinner minus Bill and Vickie and 68 others who were on the excursion to Antartica. I'm pretty sure they must have landed, as they hadn't gotten back for dinner, and the captain announced we were waiting on the return of that excursion. Usual wonderful and special treatment for our CC table of folks, and I'm going to have to shake my mild cold and get up to the gym or all these 'special' extras are going to have a very negative impact!

Tonight they are doing Caliente for our big stage show - Arlene assures me I must have seen it, but I don't remember it so will go have a look.

Captain announced that we are supposed to have 35+knot winds in the AM so we'll all be hanging on to the rails and taking our dramamine and ginger.

Will post as we have a chance.

Thanks to everyone for all the wonderful info on this cruise we are all enjoying thru you:D :D Really whetting the appetite now I just need to win the lottery!!!:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

While we're on the subject of balconies . . . we have an aft (stern) balcony on the Star next year. Is that an okay location for this itinerary?

Becky

Becky,

The Aft(Stern) Balcony/Suite is the only way to go (IMHO):)

Especially where the Golden is Now, They are the Warmest Balcs in the Stern & the Views down the Fjords are Breathtaking. I'll never forget our 7 Day Norway Fjords Cruise on a Aft Balc, taking PICs until 1AM on the Balc, without a Flash;) All of our future cruises are in Aft Balc/Suites.:D

You will absolutely love it:eek: Did I say Aft Balcs are Great?:rolleyes: Bill

Easykruz,

Sounds like Antarctica was worth the investment.

What's with your fellow passengers? Do you have any idea why Arlene and Tony have stopped posting? I've really enjoyed lurking on this thread and would love to do this cruise in the future.

Yes, I spoke to the majority of the passengers and asked everyone in a group setting if everyone felt like they were glad they came. Everyone said yes and I didn't hear anyone voice any negative concern.

As far as your other question all I can say is see post 443, from Carolyn the host.

Easykruz,

Bill:)

Reading all the posts with interest as we were on the Golden on the previous cruise Santiago to BA.

Our disembarkation at BA was sort of OK except for the luggage arrival at the Intercontinental. We could see piles of luggage waiting to GO ON Golden in the lobby of the hotel right up to 5 o'clock!!!!! we did not get our luggage till 5.45. The terminal looked horrendous with pax both arriving and leaving for both ships.

We had a 115mph wind just after Stanley but as it was hitting us from the stern that great ship hardly moved up nor down hate to tell you but our worst weather was second day out from Val Paraiso

Bob Oliver is a great Captain------we sailed with him when he was merely a deck Officer on the good old Canberra out of Southhampton UK way back in the 70's

I love re-living our cruise through all postings Live from the Golden----please keep posting!

Elma in Scotland

Elma,

I received my last piece of luggage on the Golden in B.A. at midnight on the 8th. Apparently the port of BA decides when the luggage gets unloaded and loaded on board the ships.

I agree, Bob Oliver is a great Captain, he keeps everyone informed as to what's going on.

Today he took us to a glacier which was not on the agenda. Reason being the Pacific Ocean was too rough so he kept us in the inlets.

Easykruz,

Let me say this that the weather except for one day has been cold. We happen to have a balcony. If I had to do it over for this cruise I would probably opt out of the balcony because we have hardly used it (too cold). Hope that helps you in making your decision.

Easykruz,

Let me say this that the weather except for one day has been cold. We happen to have a balcony. If I had to do it over for this cruise I would probably opt out of the balcony because we have hardly used it (too cold). Hope that helps you in making your decision.

Easykruz,

Is it a Stern Balcony or a Side Balcony?:confused:

Thank you!

jot-Bill:)

Archived