Alaska help

traderneal

After sailing the Carribean the last three years, we are thinking about doing Alaska towards the end of August. Our main concern is that our two daughters age 5, and 9 will be completely bored out of their skull, and thus make life miserable for us.

The kids love the camps that they have gone to previously, so that aspect is not a problem. I guess we are concerned that two young girls can only handle so much nature as opposed to playing on the beach or being by the pool.

Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

thx

Neal

I would use the your planned cruise to Alaska as a learning tool. What a great opportunity for that age! I am a Childcare Center Director and our Teachers have done several units on Alaska with our four years olds, through school age groups. I have attached several links below for your viewing- There are alot of fun activities for your children, I do not think they will be bored at all. I would suggest just a few months before going to start to read books or rent videos surrounding the planned areas- Not sure of your budget, but if you plan to go visit the Snow Dogs-- then you could rent the Disney Movie-Snow Dogs, etc. I would not do anything too soon before going, as kids lose interest or become to anxious....as you know .right? :) The towns you visit have many fun activities!!

The best things not to be forgotten for this trip are as follows:

1) Binoculars-- one for each child--they will be used , I promise!

2) Their own camera

3) Lip balm for wind-chapped lips.

Things to purchase in Alaska

1) Their own photo album

2) A Book of their choice about the history or animals, etc.

http://www.cruisemates.com/articles/family/alaska-kids.cfm

http://www.state.ak.us/local/kids/home.html

Alaska is a fascinating place for children. There are still beaches to explore...they just need to be dressed warmer (Actually, in August, maybe not!) Bring rubber boots for them and a light rain jacket so that no matter the weather, they can play in the water. I don't know where you're from, but when my 6 year-old niece came to visit, she just wanted to "climb" mountains, a novelty for her. Unfortunately, my sister wanted to turn the visit here "educational," forgetting that a physical activity you haven't experienced is just as or more enlightening than a mental activity. As long as you choose activities in port that let your children move and be noisy, there shouldn't be a problem.

Key is to involve them in the planning and tour selection. Take them to the library and look for a basic Alaska book, stories about the Iditarod, animals, glaciers etc.

Expect far fewer kids on board compared to the Caribbean and even less in your timeframe as some schools are back in session.

Archived