wine package question

Hubby and I are going on a 10 night cruise in Sept and we were thinking of getting one of the wine packages. We did this last year in Alaska but there was 2 other couples with us so my question is can you just get 5 bottles or do you have to get like a 10 bottle package.

Lexi

You can also get the wine sent to your cabin for before dinner cocktails. I did that and really enjoyed my 7 bottles of wine!!! Pretty good choices but 4X mark up. I did stash a bottle or 2 in my bag and did not get'caught" I still spent a ton on alcohol so in my eyes it's ok.:cool:

Hi Majesty Fan. Just got back from a Legend cruise, and bought the 7 bottle package, but there was also 5 and 10 bottle versions. I pre-booked it online via the Gifts and Gear section of RCCL website - all the details are there. You can also buy the packages in the afternoon of boarding...someone from the dining room tends a table in one of the main elevator lobbies. It's better to buy it on the first day, because they haven't quite figured out the online method...I paid by credit card, but the dining room staff kept trying to put the bill on my onboard account, and I had to get the purser involved to straighten things out. On the cruise as well, I had the Diamond package, the most expensive of three list lists. Here, the lists are cumulative...the wine in the first level also appear on the second tier and those on the second appear on tier three. You have to know which wines are added on each tier, and their prices, in order to get the best value. There aren't so many wines, so it's easy to make a list ahead of time with prices.

There is an availability issue too. On the Legend, I could only get one of the three whites/sparkling wines in tier three, and a couple of the reds were also never available. They promise a comparable of equal or higher price, but you have to really press for it with the head waiter. So, imho, I'd probably take the mid-range package if I were to do it again. Or select from the regular menu. At our table, we shared tastes of various wines, and you could get some better wines for the same discounted price in a package. Hope this ramble helps/

Cheers,

Michael

Hi Majesty Fan. Just got back from a Legend

There is an availability issue too. On the Legend, I could only get one of the three whites/sparkling wines in tier three, and a couple of the reds were also never available. They promise a comparable of equal or higher price, but you have to really press for it with the head waiter. So, imho, I'd probably take the mid-range package if I were to do it again. Or select from the regular menu. At our table, we shared tastes of various wines, and you could get some better wines for the same discounted price in a package. Hope this ramble helps/

Cheers,

Michael

seems like a "whine" problem to me:rolleyes:

just kidding..no flames please..just couldn't resisit

I know the OP was asking about wine packages but under wine cellar on the RCCL website, there is over 50 bottles of wine and champagne to choose from to be delivered to your cabin. The prices are about what we pay in the NYC area. I would rather order what I want than be stuck with something in a package I may not want. :o

Something I found odd as well -but worked in my favor- is I preordered a bottle of wine to be in my room upon boarding last week on the Sovereign. It's charged to my credit card, with no gratuity...very nice! I looked at the wine packages also, but they had the gratuity added, so I just went w/ a single bottle. Just thought I would share....

Everyone - need some help in understanding - I am a wine drinker - DH is not (well maybe a sip or two) I would like to have wine in room while I'm waiting for the rest of my family to finish dressing for dinner, then a glass (or two) during dinner - now how do I handle the logistics - I don't want to rely of the wait staff to 'store' my wine for the next dinner - I'm sure I am overplanning this - but heck why not - I overplan everything else!

THanks in advance

Lil

If you find that you need a couple of extra bottles of wine, there is always the coupon in the C&A booklet for a certain % off the second bottle. Diamond, of course, gets a higher discount than Platinum, etc.

Rick

Archived