vol girl

vol girl

vol girl,

This is our first cruise and we are going on the Galaxy in June. The 11 day med. cruise. I wanted to know if my two teenagers are going to have much to do on the boat?

MV Galaxy has a decent teen center next to the disco on the Sky Deck, staffed by full time teen counsellors who coordinate age appropriate activities. Your teens will have a great time!

BTW, please -- pretty, pretty please -- do NOT refer to a cruise ship as a "boat." It's a mistake that a lot of "first timers" make because they don't understand the implications. In standard maritime use, a "boat" is a vessel that is not suitable for travel on the open ocean. When somebody refers to a ship as a "boat," the direct implication is that the ship is not seaworthy -- a grave insult to her master and her crew. In plain talk, that's "fightin' words."

FWIW, I actually have witnessed a tongue lashing from a master of a cruise ship to a passenger who referred to his vessel as a "boat" within his hearing.

Norm.

FinelyCruising,

Master sounds extreme and unfriendly at a minimum.....

Oh, his tongue lashing was good-natured enough so the offending passengers got the message without being offended.

But that said, passengers have mysteriously "fallen" overboard in the middle of the night on occasoin for much less grievous offenses....

Norm.

Ken,

You do want to use the term of "Boat" when discussing submarines... it's and insult to a sub sailor to refer to it as a Ship!

Hmmm....

Actually, referring to a submarine as a "ship" is not that bad of an insult. Historically, submarines came to be called "boats" only because the first submarines really were boats rather than ships and the term subsequently stuck among the submarine community. In fact, there was considerable discussion about possible replacement of the term "boat" with the term "ship" especially in reference to the Los Angeles and Ohio classes of submarines when I was in the NROTC program (1975-1979) and on active duty (1979-1984) -- the argument being that the vessels had gotten to a size and seagoing capability where they really are ships rather than boats. The decisive factor at that time was the compelling argument that submarines don't deserve to be called "ships" because these vessels don't take heavy seas very well when they are on the surface. Indeed, submarines invariably submerge to a detph that's well below the wave action whenever they encounter even moderate sea conditions.

Norm.

Back to the question at hand...:rolleyes: Now Vol Gal, if I may assume that you may be a Tennessee fan,the following comments will apply. If you are not from Tennessee, then you may disregard this.

I think that neither you nor your teens will enjoy a cruise. There are no NASCAR races, generally no pigs feet on the menu, and you will be expected to bathe daily. People really won't understand you singing Rocky Top day and night. I doubt you will see any cloggers. BUT there is good news! The cabin will probably seem about the same size as the trailer. So you Tennessee fans may feel right at home in the cabin (even though there definitely won't be a Blue Tick Hound sleeping under the floor!) :D :D

Roll Tide!

Back to the question at hand...:rolleyes: Now Vol Gal, if I may assume that you may be a Tennessee fan,the following comments will apply. If you are not from Tennessee, then you may disregard this.

I think that neither you nor your teens will enjoy a cruise. There are no NASCAR races, generally no pigs feet on the menu, and you will be expected to bathe daily. People really won't understand you singing Rocky Top day and night. I doubt you will see any cloggers. BUT there is good news! The cabin will probably seem about the same size as the trailer. So you Tennessee fans may feel right at home in the cabin (even though there definitely won't be a Blue Tick Hound sleeping under the floor!) :D :D

Roll Tide!

Seebee:

OMG are you taking Newts place.....

Seriously, your kids will have a good time especially in June since there should be a lot of kids their own age on the ship. Please note that although they do have regular activities for the teens, they often prefer to make their own group and go off on their own. Its just in their nature to do this so don't be upset. You should however go to the group activities orientation on the first day.

I will never say boat again!!! I also wanted to know if any of you know of a good private tour guide in Athens. I have a few names and wanted to hear feedback from any of you. By the way, Bama Fan, I have heard from you guys all of my life! My mom is a die hard Bama fan but I was raised on the right sied of the tracks!! Just kidding ... good luck this Fall!!

I will never say boat again!!! I also wanted to know if any of you know of a good private tour guide in Athens. I have a few names and wanted to hear feedback from any of you. By the way, Bama Fan, I have heard from you guys all of my life! My mom is a die hard Bama fan but I was raised on the right sied of the tracks!! Just kidding ... good luck this Fall!!

Hi Vol Girl !

I am sure that nearly all the posts were meant to be amusing. Just so you know... if you ever walked up to a Captain of a Cruise ship and called the ship a boat, he would likely be offended. So, to avoid that happening to you, I am glad others pointed this out. Remember to keep the idea of calling a Cruise ship being a boat, out of your vocabulary :)

Keep repeating this, especially when approaching a Captain...... "its a Ship... not a boat, ... its a Ship, not a boat" :)

All kidding aside.... Have a great time on your Cruise !

vol girl,

I will never say boat again!!!

Well, no need to overreact. The "tenders" that take you between a ship at anchor and the shore are in fact "boats" -- but they you really do NOT want to put out to sea in one of them!

I also wanted to know if any of you know of a good private tour guide in Athens. I have a few names and wanted to hear feedback from any of you. By the way, Bama Fan, I have heard from you guys all of my life! My mom is a die hard Bama fan but I was raised on the right sied of the tracks!! Just kidding ... good luck this Fall!!

You certainly can arrange a private tour if you wish, but I really think that you will do just as well with one or another of the ship's shore excursions. Remember that the published price for shore excursions includes admission to all attractions on the excursion and, on most excursions in Europe, lunch at a decent local restaurant so you get a chance to sample the local cuisine.

Norm.

Archived