Poor service in dining room reported!

cruzemaven

Carolyn Spencer Brown the cruise critic editor is on the Insignia and just posted ..."We opted for a leisurely lunch in the Grand Dining Room not realizing how "leisurely" it would really be. The place was packed and waitstaff seemed (understandably) overwhelmed but it took such a long time to simply be handed a menu (much less order) that one couple at our table for eight left before the appetizers arrived. Folks seemed pretty frustrated by service lapses (we were visited by the wine steward but never offered any "free" drinks such as iced tea and coffee) and reported a similar situation at breakfast,..." She also complained about some problems she encountered dining the day before. Has anyone else experienced this seeming lack of organization and service ? Up until now, I thought things were improving in the dining rooms.

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff0000&cdt=2004;8;17;18;00;00&timezone=GMT+0100

8/17Insignia Barcelona to Venice

Yes, read all of my posts. Two weeks was two weeks too long. This was our 18th cruise, and were very disappointed. So were most of the people on the transatlantic. I thought by the posts that this was an isolated situation, but apparently not the case. Hmmmmmmmmmm.

I believe there will always be some confusion when you are starting a new company...sometimes it can take 2-3 years to get all the processes ironed out and find out who your "star" employees are so that they can be moved to key positions and offset problems when new staff come aboard. I'm sure Oceania is working hard at it and will succeed.

Personally,I'm looking forward to long, leisurely meals aboard the Regatta...gives me more time to get to know the other passengers... I also appreciate the extra time it takes to prepare a quality, multi-course meal...with our fast-paced lifestyle these days...this is exactly what I'm looking for on a vacation....hopefully with this attitude I won't suffer any disappointment on my upcoming cruise icon_smile.gif

Hi all,

Please check out latest update on service in the same virtual cruise review. If you don't have time to read all of the mouth-watering text, be sure to look at the first sentence and last two sentences in the following excerpt:

"While it looks like the service issues we experienced early on have ironed themselves out, the food onboard, has been consistently superb. Last night we checked out "Tapas on the Terrace" and, while it was too nippy and misty to actually sup outdoors, the experience was fantastic. Basically, the "tapas" concept focuses on a variety of hors d'oeuvres, buffet-style, that included, at least last night, a lovely seafood salad, antipasto, chicken satay with peanut sauce, grilled shrimp and a gazpacho that was so smooth it almost tasted creamy. You can make a dinner out of a variety of these -- or move on to a good variety of main courses. Choices last night included both a seafood and vegetarian paella, a chicken and pineapple dish, and beef tenderloin.

What's also fun is the "tapas" approach to desserts. Everything, save for the freshly made crepes Suzette, came in mini-pots -- and the chocolate souffle and flan were particularly supreme.

The whole idea is it's an opportunity to take a break from cruise food indulgence and eat a light meal (though to be honest the choices were so tantalizing, self-discipline was a challenge). The service was excellent, too; there's a wine steward (you can order freshly made Sangria, though we opted for a Spanish chardonnay) for cocktails and the like. While the food is serve-yourself (well, actually, you point out your selections to a crewmember and they dish it up), busboys and waiters are hovering nearby to carry plates and refill water glasses."

Best, Emma

Wanderlusty...........to answer your question........Oceania, never again. We were with friends, and they even felt stronger than we did.

We are already book on Celebrity to SA in January, and then Celebrity Xpeditions to the Galapagos for 10 days.

I will not take any chances with unknown cruise lines.

I was on the Venice to Lisbon last month and only had less than perfect service twice. Both times the dining room got slammed with people due to leaving port at 8. The service we experienced was almost too helpful and good.

merriem,

Oh. You have so few posts on the Celebrity or other boards, and yet you continue to post here on the Oceania board so frequently that I assumed you were planning to remain an Oceania customer. I can't think of any reason to stick around on a board devoted to a product one plans never to buy again. But perhaps there's more to the story that I missed.

I'm hoping that our October Oceania cruise is wonderful. But, if I had a really dreadful experience with a cruise, or a travel agent, or a tour company, etc, I would feel like I was doing people a service by telling them of my experiences.

I can understand why merriem would continue to post here. I value both negative and postive reviews for the perspective they give me.

Merriem, we are sorry to hear about your dog.... I do believe people should report their experiences, both positive and negative. I think changing who you cruise with is probably a good idea. I do hope you enjoy your upcoming Celebrity cruise, like Oceania, they are a good company that tries to provide outstanding service.

We were on Regatta in May and the only time I can remember not being given menus right away (or have someone come up to take our orders right away) was one time when we were seated in the Grand Dining Room at a large table. Then it was at least 5 minutes before they took orders. I assumed that they waited until they got a full table before doing that, so that everyone would be eating about the same time. Am I wrong about that? I'm thinking maybe that why a few folks have reported that they had to wait......which was never our experience, except in the situation described above.

Well I just had four couples sail on the June 1 Regatta and they have done nothing but rave about the rooms, food, service, staff and ship. They apparently had such a great time, that two of the couples booked an anniversery cruise for next year together while onboard, and it has convinced me personally to book Oceania for next year and give it a try. Mos tof what I have heard and read lately has definitely been positive - but there are always glitches, especially when you are dealing with a new company and situation. Frank Del Rio tried very hard to save Ren, it was just too late, and Joseph Watters is a veteran on luxury lines, if I remember correctly he was involved with Crystal, but I'm not positive on the line he was with, I think its important to pass along your thoughts and comments, both negative and positive to the Customer Service area of any cruiseline - most if not all of them are very responsive to passenger comments. There is no perfect cruiseline out there, its all subjective - believe me I have heard negative comments about SilverSea, Radisson, Crystal, Seabourne as well so things need to be taken in perspective, and IMO when on a cruise, why spend all your time looking for negatives, why not intead look for positives. Hopefully things will be taken care of and improved. icon_cool.gif

Getting off Insignia tomorrow at Dover. Ship beautiful, room stewards were very attentive, waiters a delight. Front desk a bit curt. We were on the Regatta last fall and that was a disaster but we attributed it to being new. . However the food was better on that cruise. We have seen subtle changes in the quality of the food. I think they are starting to cut back. The pastry is not as good and the selection seems to be more limited. A bit of advice for anyone taking a cruise on Oceania. Do Not Buy Excursion Pkg. You will increase your travel ins. rate to cover and that knocks out the savings and takes away the advantage of changing your mind and making your arrangements with fellow cruisers you might meet on board. Excursions way over priced. If you have time get on the internet and make arrangements for a car or take a taxi. You will see more for less. Third ship Nautica will not sail as planned. This worries me!! We are not going to book on Oceania for the next several years. We were caught in the Renaissance disaster. The prices are so low that it worries me. There are many cruise ships to chose from.

MH

Well t his is all very interesting - will keep a close watch on things and see how things go in the next few months. Again - hope this works for Oceania, as everyone seems to like their ships and the concept - so lets hope it works and the glitches work themselves out and things get on track!

JoAnn

I've just gotten off Insignia (June 26) in Dover and must say that the food and service aboard was excellent in all restaurants except Tuscana. I comment on Tuscana because we did find the service very slow and the food not as good as the other restaurants.

Overall, I would give the food and service an excellent report. Not to worry!

We’re home from Oceania-Insignia London-London, June 14-26-04 and here is the consensus from the cruisers that were on the bus to Heathrow with us. Most all agreed that the ship was beautiful; food was great but those who were on the Regatta agreed that there was a subtle downgrading of the quality of the food, especially in Tapas. (I mentioned this in my earlier message). The waiters and cabin attendants were very attentive. Some cruisers found the reception desk a bit curt and uninformed on many items and the concierge useless and that the hotel staff consisting of purser, asst. purser, and hotel manager very abrasive and in some cases rude. Americans are very sensitive to this and would probably be more comfortable with American Hotel Mgrs. as we have contact with them for 14 days. Maybe not always direct contact but their aura is there. I seemed to get vibes that said don’t mess with us. We all agreed that a good Cruise Director can really enhance a cruising experience but this did not happen here, perhaps he was new and inexperienced. The cost of internet access is prohibitive; however, the staff was exceptional. They were always available and extremely knowledgeable. Their expertise on digital cameras was mind boggling. Classes for $20 was the bargain of a lifetime because their knowledge was so vast. They were on many of our excursions and always helpful. Many of us had new cameras and needed help and they were glad to assist. I had flash trouble and even he was stumped, he emailed his contact at Canon and problem solved in a matter of hours. We loved the string quartet and became friends with them. Just rec’d an email from one of them saying they have been terminated affective July 10. They had several months left on their contract and they were very good. This and the Nautica not sailing really worries me. Small cruise lines are having a tough time. I’m on guard after going through the Renaissance fiasco. This fiasco sent us on some larger ships and I must admit it wasn’t all that bad. (Crystal, RC and Celebrity) We are going to give Radisson a try next. I wish the best for Oceania.

MH

>>This and the Nautica not sailing really worries me.<<

The NAUTICA *is* sailing; it's just sailing under a charter arrangement instead of under the Oceania flag. I think that's a good sign, not a bad one: It means Oceania is being careful not to grow faster than it can reasonably expect to do in the current market. And when the market does improve, Oceania will have another identical ship ready for service.

I agree. It is better to grow slower and steadier than to risk over-capacity and the consquences, one of the main reasons the former Renaissance folded. It is also wise that if and when the third ship joins the fleet, it be dispatched away from the Mediterranean, Caribbean and South American routes. This allows market diversification and avoids over-crowding the existing routes. Incidentally, looking at Oceania's pricing for the coming year, it tends to creep up a bit while other lines (especially the boutique lines) are offering deeper discounts. I wonder whether Oceania may also have to offer increased discounts/goodies down the road. That remains to be seen. The cruise market is still very difficult at present, let us hope that it improves with the general economy in the years to come! Thank you.

We just got off Regatta in Dover on June 29th. This was our second experience with Oceania and we have booked another cruise in 2004 and one in 2005.

Some observations since our last sail. Check in was much better. We boarded at 1 PM and our room was ready at 2:30PM. A buffet was available at the Terrace. We had a PH cabin on Deck 8 and our butler, Pavel , greeted us and asked if he could do anything for us including making reservations at Polo and Toscana. He helped at Polo later in the cruise when we wanted to get a table of 8 for our Red October group. He did little things like get us a vase for flowers my wife purchased in Tallin and iced down some champagne and brought glasses for a toast a group of 8 had upon leaving Russia. Between 5 and 5:30 everyday he brought canapes ( altho the quality on some days was not up to par).

The computer room had two very competent and pleasant people in Don and Susan (husband and wife from Toronto), Prices are still ridiculous especially for internet bums like myself but they really helped the many who had difficulty even turning on a computer much less writing an email. The computer room was now open 24 hours unlike the past cruise where management was worried about someone stealing one of the laptops.

Food and service in all venues was very good and we especially liked the Grand Dining Room. Toscana improved from our last cruise. I am not a fan of buffets and so Tapas on the Terrace was a disappointment from when we sailed last year. Most were there to avoid dressing up or for the selection a buffet offers. More men wore jackets to dinner in Polo and Toscana and to a lesser extent in the Grand Dining Room but very few wore ties. The wine corkage fee which has blanketed boards did not appear to be an issue with those we were around. We bought the ship's wines or drank wine bought elsewhere in our cabin. Finally, we had excellent service at all meals in all venues , never rushed but never ignored. Poor service was NEVER an issue.

The front desk had a woman with limited English skills who refused to allow me to use some AMEX traveller's check to settle part of my bill altho a friend indicated he was able to use Visa Euro checks.(The transaction fee yielded them a profit.)

The fitness center was open everyday(except day 1) at 6AM even though it said it would open at 7. It is a good facility for those who try to keep the pounds from adding up.

We did most of the tours privately or on our own and Oceania had people to help. They were good in Helsinki, Copenhagen, Stockholm, Tallin, and Amsterdam. We used Red October in St. Petersburg and would recommend that firm with great enthusiasm. We did ships tours in Gdansk(very good with tour guide Patty) and Berlin (the bus ride from hell with tour guide Dieter) who was obsessed with the Berlin Wall and nothing else. This tour was extremely overpriced and of poor value. Generally those who were going to the various ports for the first time enjoyed the ship's tours and those who had been there before were not happy for the amount of money they had to pay. Destination Services needs work but they have improved in getting information to those who wanted to do their own thing.

The lecturer, a professor from a small community college was adequate especially given the diversity of knowledge possessed by the passengers. He was not entertaining but informative .

Because I would open the fitness center most mornings we did not go to any of the magician or singing performances. We did receive good feedback from those in attendance.

Disembarkation ran smoothly and talking with someone who just sailed on Celebrity, it was light years ahead of their procedure.

Overall, we had avery enjoyable experience, met many great people and found the complainers were limited to those who were trying to compare Oceania with Crystal ( which Ocenaia will tell you they are not trying to emulate) and those who wanted the liquor included in the fares. Speaking as one who likes wine with dinner I prefer to pay my own way then pay for someone else's tastes.

We did book a 2005 tour on board and many of our newly acquired friends also booked as well. I would highly recommed Oceania to others contemplating a cruise.

Jim,

Glad to hear that you and Carol arrived home safely. We enjoyed all the dining venues as well. We didn't try Tapas. We found the service excellent and few complainers. We had a good time meeting new people and getting to know those in the Yahoo group. The Yahoo party was very nice and as soon as I figure out how to do it, I'll post the group picture.

Joan

Archived