Advice-Marine or Liberty and Savings???

Dilema - your opinions on what to do?

I have a courtesy hold on a prime hump on Mariner for the 9/30/07 sailing. I also have booked aft 1700 on Liberty for 4/12/08....

If we go on Mariner, I can save $1000. The intinerary is the same.

What would you do? Sail during hurricane season on a tad older ship (I've heard she is gorgeous), or sail during calm seas in April on a brand new ship at a cost of $1000 more?

I would pick Mariner, late September is a great time to cruise, most kids are in school then, September is way sooner than April! The $1000 you save you can use to book your next cruise on the Liberty so you will get some onboard credit and you might still be able to snag that great aft cabin again.

We have sailed several times during 'huricane season' and have never had to deal with one. Seas were calm, make sure you book travel insurance and be ok with a change in your itenerary, just incase.

Bev

The first time we did cruise was during hurricane season (2005) and we ran into Tropical Depression Stan. Hubby says he really doesn't want to cruise again during that time as I was constantly feeling a tad green (guess I wasn't as much fun as he had hoped?).

Any other opinions out there?

We cruise every hurricane season and have only run into really rough seas one time. The time of year is really great to just get away and the savings is really tremendous. We have taken 15 cruises now during the hurricane season.

By the way, the rough seas was due to a hurricane in the Western Caribbean while we were in the Eastern. It was our first cruise and we thought all cruises were like that--they had to keep all the pool chairs tied up most of the week. Looking back it was really quite fun and we had a wonderful time despite the gale winds.

I'd save the bucks and apply it to a future cruise--that is just my opinion.

April isn't in hurricane season, but that does not guarantee that you will not experience storms in the Caribbean at that time of year with heavy rain, high winds etc. and there are probably more weeks during hurricane season when there are no storms affecting the Caribbean (east or west). Since you can't guarantee the weather, I'd suggest going for the best price, especially since the price difference is so great.:)

I would go on Mariner. The ship is beautiful and you will get a taste of what the Promenade is like so that later you can book Liberty and know what you will have to look forward to.

Whichever trip you end up taking, I know you will have a wonderful time.

Katie

Archived