crown air conditioning

brovol

i am sailing (with my wife and two kids) on the 6/26 crown. i have been reading reviews with complaints of the rooms being hot, and the air conditioning not working properly. this concerns me a great deal, because i am usually warm anyway. does anyone know if princess is responding to this issue. has it been formally raised with a purser? also, is the problem more pronounced on any particular floor, or in the forward verses aft of the ship? we are in the extreme aft. any information will be appreciated.

I don't think Princess can do much about the problem, it may have been how the ship was built.

We were on the starboard side on the Baja deck. When we first got to our room before the ship left port, the room was warm.

Once the ship was underway, the room temperature was fine. We found it was warmer when the ship wasn't actually sailing and in port than it was when the ship was moving. Which was fine, because all I cared about was it being cool enough when I slept, since that was the only time I was in the room.

It was cool enough that I needed the blanket at night.

Our room was perfectly cool, but it was an interior. I have wondered if the problem wasn't more for the balcony rooms, but have no way of knowing. You could post a thread asking if anyone has stayed in your specific stateroom?

Brovol,

I am like you and usually run warm. I am constantly teased for the time I was shoveling snow in shorts..lol

I was on the Crown last July on the Caribe deck and didnt have a problem with the a/c. Was the cabin as cool as i would have liked it to be? Well, no, but it certainly wasnt uncomfortable for me either. I also found that keeping the shades drawn to limit the amount of sunlight that came in through the balcony doors helped a lot as well.

I am sure everyone's opinions will vary, but in my case, as someone else who is always hot, I didnt find it to be much of a problem at all. As soon as you get in the room, make sure the a/c is turned down all the way, and when you arent in the room, keep the shades drawn if you have them and you should be fine.

And if you do get hot, just go take a dip in one of the refreshing pools and you will cool off.

Hope that helped.

brovol,

Some decks are warmer than others since the A/C works very unevely.

During our sailing last July Baja deck was cool in the front of the ship. As you went towards the back on this deck, the warmer it became. You could feel the difference just walking from the elevators to your cabin.

We were in a balcony cabin on Baja right across from the laundry room and even after the engineer came and checked the A/C there was no difference. The curtains on this ship do nothing to keep the sun and heat out even when they are kept closed!

My opinion is that since most of the balconies are either totally uncovered or only partially covered this contributes to the overall warmness of the ship. So yes, it is partly due to how the ship was built and also not having a stronger A/C system to counteract the lack of covered balconies and the lack of better heat blocking curtains.

The Baja deck seems to be the most prone to lack of A/C working properly. If you are on this deck, anything from midship to the front cabins will be cooler.

MARAPRINCE.

i will be extreme aft, on the emerald deck, in a mini-suite. it has a covered balcony. we stayed in the same area on other grand class ships, and never had a problem with the air conditioning. i dont read about air conditioning problems on other grand class ships, so it can not be a design problem. i hope whatever it is, it gets fixed before my cruise. thanks for the info everyone.

i will be extreme aft, on the emerald deck, in a mini-suite. it has a covered balcony. we stayed in the same area on other grand class ships, and never had a problem with the air conditioning. i dont read about air conditioning problems on other grand class ships, so it can not be a design problem. i hope whatever it is, it gets fixed before my cruise. thanks for the info everyone.

I'll be on the emerald deck in a mini-suite.....I'll try to remember to report back to you:) I like a cool room myself....holds down the flashes:eek:

We just returned from the Crown P. After having been on a Carnival ship where we froze and had to wear sweats in the common areas, I thought the common areas of the Crown were comfortable. However, we had a balcony on the Caribe deck and our room was too warm. It seemed to be cooler during the day than at night.

I'll be on the emerald deck in a mini-suite.....I'll try to remember to report back to you:) I like a cool room myself....holds down the flashes:eek:

thank you. and if it is hot, tell the Capitan that you know a guy who is sailing on 6/26, and already having a tantrum about the air conditioning. tell him you cant imagine the level of complaining your friend would reach if he was sweating his rump off in his cabin at night. make the captain think i am a rock star, or very important dignitary; better yet, tell him i am doing a cruise review for one of those travel publications. yes yes, thats it, a travel review. more seriously, i will look forward to your report. thanks again.

thank you. and if it is hot, tell the Capitan that you know a guy who is sailing on 6/26, and already having a tantrum about the air conditioning. tell him you cant imagine the level of complaining your friend would reach if he was sweating his rump off in his cabin at night. make the captain think i am a rock star, or very important dignitary; better yet, tell him i am doing a cruise review for one of those travel publications. yes yes, thats it, a travel review. more seriously, i will look forward to your report. thanks again.

Will do;)

We were on the Crown on Emerald deck in an Oceanview last September just before the rear elevators + stairs. We had the A/C cranked the whole time and found it to be slightly warm. The place we noticed it the most was in the theater even when sitting down low. It would be hot especially if you were sitting there in a suit on formal night.

Steve

I thought that the A/C was very comfortable. Would not complain at all.

Finally, I could walk around the ship during the evening and not carry a cover-up....What a pleasure...

They need to conserve as well, just like the rest of us...

We had 3 mini-suites in a row on the dolphin deck toward the aft on the port side and didn’t have any problems at all. With 6 of us and all three of our verandahs open to each other it seemed as though somebody was constantly coming or going and, therefore, the sliding doors being opened yet our cabins were still nice and cool the whole time.

We had 3 mini-suites in a row on the dolphin deck toward the aft on the port side and didn’t have any problems at all. With 6 of us and all three of our verandahs open to each other it seemed as though somebody was constantly coming or going and, therefore, the sliding doors being opened yet our cabins were still nice and cool the whole time.

great to hear. thanks.

The curtains on this ship do nothing to keep the sun and heat out even when they are kept closed!
I thought all Princess ships had black-out curtains...is that not the case on Crown Princess?

brovol,

I think the response was kind of split. A lot of the women felt comfortable in the public areas, etc. For the most part I felt it was okay but would have liked it to be a little cooler. As I mentioned earlier the place I really noticed it was the theater. Between just having eaten and having a suit on I thought it was hot to the point of sweating. Plus the theater seating is tight.

Steve

We did a B2B on the Crown in December '06 and we had two cabins on Caribe deck. Our staterooms were always too hot during the day and when the sun was directly on our windows, the curtains did little to keep the heat down. We always kept the air on max cool. It would finally cool off enough to sleep around 11pm or so. We did call the pursers desk and even after a visit by maintenance there was no improvement. The common areas of the ship were always comfortable: it just seems to be a problem with the balcony cabins. I think that there have been enough comments about the air conditioning on the Crown to assume there is a problem with the design of the system. I understand that everyone doesn't feel that way but once again, there have been way too many complaints about this for it to be just a matter of personal preference. Don't get the wrong impression; it is certainly not a deal breaker. We would definitely sail on the Crown again. We just like our stateroom a bit cooler than we were able to have it on the Crown. We have sailed on the Sun Princess, Adventure of the Seas, Carnival Triumph and the Crown and we have been comfortable on all except the Crown. Hopefully the engineers will be able to improve the overall effectiveness of the system.

We just returned from the Crown P. After having been on a Carnival ship where we froze and had to wear sweats in the common areas, I thought the common areas of the Crown were comfortable. However, we had a balcony on the Caribe deck and our room was too warm. It seemed to be cooler during the day than at night.

Curious, which cabin were you in? I'll be in a balcony cabin on the Caribe deck in 96 days . . .

We were on the Crown on back to back cruises in Feb....14 days with only 2 sea days...it was too warm in our stateroom most all of the time..we were on Aloha deck room 601..a balcony room. It did not help much keeping the curtains drawn and the A/C turned down as low as possible. I have noticed on other ships that while in port it is warmer in the staterooms but not this bad.... and we were in port most of the time! The lower deck public rooms were very comfortable and I would go sit down there to cool off before dinner.....speaking of dinner...don't let them seat you in any of the side "alcove" dining spaces during formal nights! The poor guys in our group were VERY warm in their suits! It's not just the ladies and their "flashes" No way! There was no air movement and VERY warm in the dining room! I never took so many cold showers on a cruise just to be able to sleep!

I don't know what the answer is but it's not the imagination of just a few....it needs to be addressed!!!!!

SuE

It did not help much keeping the curtains drawn and the A/C turned down as low as possible. The lower deck public rooms were very comfortable and I would go sit down there to cool off before dinner There was no air movement and VERY warm in the dining room! I never took so many cold showers on a cruise just to be able to sleep!

I don't know what the answer is but it's not the imagination of just a few....it needs to be addressed!!!!!

SuE

ok, now i am concerned.

Sailing on March 24 on the Crown - D616 D618

wondering which rooms you were in?

what cabin #s were you

we are on dolphin deck in may in 2 minis and an inside across the hall

would love to see some cabin pics

Archived