Dancing

Johnson

We loved our port intensive Mediterranian cruise last year on Voyager, but at night NOBODY was dancing in the Horizon lounge. For a dance class we were the only ones that showed up. This was a big dissapointment. Is this the norm for Regent cruises? Would it be the same for Crystal or Silverseas, and would we have to go to bigger ships on Celebrity or Holland to have a crowd that's into dancing at night?

Do you mean ballroom or disco?

We'll dance anywhere, any time, any style. We're often the only couple on the dance floor, no matter how good or how flat the onboard trio (or quartet or whatever) may be. We've had exactly the same experience on RSSC Navigator, the PG, Silversea Silver Shadow and HAL's Ryndam (though we had SOME company on the Ryndam). On the other hand, the disco venue sees a lot more action --packed on the Shadow and active on the Ryndam; and live 70s covers always get people up and moving.

Wouldn't it be lovely if one of the lux lines did a "spotlight on social dancing"?

event.png

We saw no dancing on our PG cruise but that was 7 years ago. Our Panama Canal cruise was a little bit better. However this past July in Alaska there was dancing every night when the cruise director sang - you could barely find a seat or an inch on the dance floor. We were with a large family group who all love to dance and have fun - and we did. We are scheduled on the March 30 Mariner sailing so I will let you know how that is.

The change to all-inclusive in 2007 seems to have increased the attendance in the bar/lounge areas quite a bit. We'll be on the Navigator later this month and expect to see lots of dancing (note: our PG cruise in 2005 had lots of dancers -- however, they didn't stay up very late -- probably because of early excursions the next morning!).

I agree with all of the above. Found the dancing to go begging on PG and Mariner. However, we are booked for the Nov. 3 Monte Carlo to Ft. Lauderdale Grand Crossing and it is a spotlight cruise on Jazz and Big Band. I was told by Regent they are bringing a very good dance band from England on board. I also feel the now all-inclusive policy will be changing the acivity level in the lounges. Sure hope so cause I'm ready to do some danc'in. Sure seems like a long time till November.

We recently cruised on Navigator and to our disappointment the dancing was practically non-existant , the pool parties( with free cocktails, and appetitizers)--maybe 8 people would show up) were poorly attended although the music was good for dancing. We asked some musicians if that was normal and they admitted few people attend or dance and they didn't know why, but were working on it. There was participation at tea time, and Bingo: few at the lectures, which were pathetic, poor attendance at most things in fact, except breakfast and lunch and dinner. Our previous cruise experience was far better on Silversea ships and Oceania. Sorry Regent, we were let down with most of the social aspects of your cruise ship Navigator. the room was nice though and the staff was helpful.:(

I'm currently on the Voyager and can speak for the Voyager Lounge. Many nights there is lots and lots of dancing going on (especially on Kareoke night after the Kareoke ends). We have over-nighted in many ports and on those nights the Voyager Lounge is quiet and "dead" as most passengers are off the ship for dinner etc.

I can't speak for dancing in Horizon Lounge as we rarely go in there after dinner. Before dinner we go to either Observation Lounge to listen to Frankie Holiday or relaxing pre-dinner piano music (no dancing usually) or hook up with friends before dinner in the Voyager Lounge. Sometimes there is pre-dinner dancing in VL but just a few couples. Most of the lively dancing gets going around 11pm in the Voyager Lounge. We've had a couple of lavish pool side bar-b-ques with live music and there was SO MUCH dancing on the deck. I don't attend the dance classes but go into the Horizon Lounge as the class is ending for noon games....always at least 25 in the class.

Maybe it was quieter on your cruise because it was so port intensive with few (if any) sea days and people were tired and went to bed earlier.

Archived