Next cuisine for NCL?

NoVaCruiser60

Ok CCers, time for a little debate. NCL's freestyle cruising features a Steakhouse, French, Italian, Asian, and Tex-Mex restaurants.

What should be the next type of restaurant NCL should try out? And should they add another, or switch a new one for an existing restaurant?

Here's my thought: the main thing missing is something Arab/Mediterranean. So I would propose a Morrocan restaurant, complete with sofas, pillows, maybe even a dancer. I would be happy for NCL to switch out the Tex-Mex menu (maybe add some Tex-Mex to the blue lagoon, for example) and replace it with a Morrocan place.

Your thoughts?

While it's not exactly a new cuisine, I miss the pizzeria that used to be on the Sky (now the Pride of Aloha). Their pizzas were the BEST that I have ever had on a cruise ship. So, perhaps they could put back a bona fide pizzeria on a ship with oven-fresh pizzas (with a wide selection of toppings), along with calzones.

The Sky's pizzeria put to shame the pizza that is currently available on NCL.

I sailed the Sky when she was new and you are so right, it was the best. Their chocolate mousse from room service has changed also, I just got off the Dream a week ago and it was lot heavier than it used to be. Much too sweet. Of course that didn't stop me from eating it though.:D

As for the original question, I'm not sure they need any more, I can never make it to all the choices as it is.

Here's my thought: the main thing missing is something Arab/Mediterranean. So I would propose a Morrocan restaurant, complete with sofas, pillows, maybe even a dancer. I would be happy for NCL to switch out the Tex-Mex menu (maybe add some Tex-Mex to the blue lagoon, for example) and replace it with a Morrocan place.

Your thoughts?

We have a new Morrocan restaurant in our town.

Not a menu that I would enjoy often but every other month is fine.

The best bread I have EVER had!

I agree re: Tex-Mex...could do without it;)

Brazilian steakhouse (churrascaria). "Gauchos" roam the dining room with 10-12 swordlike skewers of grilled meat, and grilled whole pineapple covered in cinnamon and carve at the table, there is an appetizer bar set up, and family style sides delivered to the table. The ones in my area are very popular. I think that this concept would work great on a ship. A very different concept than a regular steakhouse.

MAC

I can't see the cruiseline doing it, but the churrascaria and moroccan restaurant ideas sound great to me.

I also agree about the pizza comment. NCL's pizza is pretty bad, and pizza really matters to a lot of people. I remember the pizza on the Celebrity Century was fantastic. Good pizza is a human right!

I agree about the pizza, but La Trattoria pretty much satisfies whatever desire anyone has for Italian food.

Moroccan, Indian- I would love to see those but the average cruise passnger is still probably getting up the courage to go to Teppanyaki, much less hummus and hot curries.

This is a really good question! Maybe a seafood restaurant? Crab legs, lobster, etc?

Just as long as it's not a Johnny Rockets type of place. I am a Blue Lagoon hater to begin with. I hate having to walk through it and I'm always walking in between someone and the big game on the TV, it always smells like grease big time, the bicycle seats look stupid, they give you like 4 chicken wings on a little plate, good luck finding a seat, it takes forever to get your "food," and it is NOT NOT NOT open 24 hours- at least, not on my last 2 cruises. You can see the cloud of grease before you even get there- and it's the only hallway!

Seafood. That's my answer and I'm sticking with it.:)

While it's not exactly a new cuisine, I miss the pizzeria that used to be on the Sky (now the Pride of Aloha). Their pizzas were the BEST that I have ever had on a cruise ship. So, perhaps they could put back a bona fide pizzeria on a ship with oven-fresh pizzas (with a wide selection of toppings), along with calzones.

I agree. I loved the Sky pizza:D You could walk through and grab a slice. It was almost like a real pizzaria.

We love Salsa on the Dawn and Tango on the Jewel and missed having a Tex-Mex restaurant on the Spirit. If they add another restaurant, I would prefer a German one with Sauerbraten & potato dumplings, Wienerschnitzel & potato pancakes, bratwurst & weisswurst and top it all off with cheese strudel, Bavarian Cream Pie and hazelnut torte. My kind of restaurant.

They still have the Pizza ovens on the Pride of Aloha in the Pacific Heights Restaurant. Will try it out next week.

They still have the Pizza ovens on the Pride of Aloha in the Pacific Heights Restaurant. Will try it out next week.

That's good to know. For some reason, I thought they replaced it with something else. When you get back, let us know if the pizzas still taste as good as they used to.

I think they should do away with the formal dining rooms. After all this is vacation time. Who wants all that fancy stuff when you basically just want to hang, grab a quick burger and fries and return to the hairy leg contest or the slots. More fast food places and maybe a Chuckie Chesse type place for the families. I'm tired of having to be waited on by fancy pants waiters thinking because they are all dressed up they are better than us vacationers. More helmets of beer.

I think they should do away with the formal dining rooms. After all this is vacation time. Who wants all that fancy stuff when you basically just want to hang, grab a quick burger and fries and return to the hairy leg contest or the slots. More fast food places and maybe a Chuckie Chesse type place for the families. I'm tired of having to be waited on by fancy pants waiters thinking because they are all dressed up they are better than us vacationers. More helmets of beer.

Eating together at dinner is one of the things I love about cruising. We seldom do it at home because it's always the fast food etc., so sitting down for 90 minutes in the evening for dinner is a great time for us. And sailing on NCL and freestyle doesn't make it a 'chore' to get dressed for dinner.:)

So, I can't say I agree with the Chuckie Cheese and fast food, but more helmets of beer are good.:D

No kidding! I totally, totally agree. I would definitely want a Chuckie Cheese. I would also like to see a splash park with a giant bucket that tips over everyones' heads and battle-mounted squirt cannons. Paintball would be cool for the older kids. For the adults: drink specials. Long Island Iced Tea, Blue Nun- do they still have Blue Nun out there???

I think cruise lines should try to reflect the reality that absolutely NO ONE has time to eat together any more. All foods should be available 24 hours. Grandma probably gets up at 4:45, the little ones might need chicken fingers and froot loops at any time, and the teenagers are probably updating their MySpace profiles until 4:30. So you can close the kitchen down between 4:30 and 4:45 am. Otherwise I expect to have everything available, all the time. I've been trying to get by with 24 hour pizza and ice cream- and considering the bars close at about 2, I thought it could work- but it CAN'T.

Hello its Etski from your last March 2006 Spirit cruise. Just returned again from a all girls cruise with my mom and sister. Celebrated my mom's 80th birthday. Just wanted to let all Spirit cruisers know that they did change the the buffet Raffels. They sort of made stations.Not as crazy as last yr. cruise so the station concept must be working. Still the same set up as last March. You just do not have to go though the entire buffet line to get a certain food. Example stir fry, made to order sandwiches. I do not recall any hot deli sandwiches. Just the standard sliced cold cuts and chichen,tuna and egg salad. Pretty tasty but not like Carnivals hot deli sandwiches. I must agree with you in regards to Blue Lagoon. It was always filled, but who wants to eat there when everyone is walking though. I ordered from there once late at night and ask them to pack it up to go. Bought it back to our stateroom. I believe they have longer hours. Only closing for a few hours in the early am. I vote that onthe Spirit they add hot sandwiches to the menu at the Bier Garden on the top deck. Get rid of the well done hamburgers and replace with hot corn beef and pastrami. They already serve a tasty sauerkraut. They have also changed the main dinning room menus, I did like the changes. Chilled soup, fruit favored to die for. Better then any desserts. I threaten to order the soup for dessert. Happy cruising!

Hey Lynn! So do they have trays in Raffles now??? Remember THAT controversy?

Yeah, the Bier Garten food has to be the worst I have ever tasted on any cruise ship, ever, and that includes the Miss Buffalo.

Glad to hear about the soups and new menu!

The Spirit is such an incredible deal for me that I am going back for the third time- this time with two of my kids. If you want a GREAT ship out of NYC, try the Noordam. Great cruise.

If they add another restaurant, I would prefer a German one with Sauerbraten & potato dumplings, Wienerschnitzel & potato pancakes, bratwurst & weisswurst and top it all off with cheese strudel, Bavarian Cream Pie and hazelnut torte. My kind of restaurant.

MINE TOO. Spent 3 yrs in Baden-Wurttenberg (US Army) and loved the food!

-Monte

Archived