Help me find a sweater/cover-up

I have read so many posts that remark on how chilly the air conditioning on the ship can be. I need to get a nice dressy sweater or cover-up that will not only keep the chill off, but will also look nice with formal or smart casual clothes. Tall order, huh?

For formal nights I am wearing a floor length, black satin type skirt (with a nice slit up the back ;) ) and I have two very dressy tank knit tops that I am going to wear with the skirt.

I would like a sweater or cover that is black so it will go with many things. Any suggestions? I have never purchased a cover up like this before and I could use a few ideas.

Thanks so much!!

I just purchased a very nice elegant black lightweight merino wool sweater at nordstroms.com to wear to dinner (and on formal night if I need it). It has an open front (no buttons) and has black beads along the trim down the front, which really dresses it up. Very nice quality. I really like it and it is on sale, half price.

Here's the link, click on black and you can see it in black. See if something like this would work:

http://*****.com/yoj2zo

Some folks may call them "out" or "overdone" but I LOVE my pashminas! I have a heavier weight, long black one with some fringe and a lightweight gold one. The black one can be a wrap or a pillow or a leg cover (sitting on an airplane and all the blankets are gone for example).

Filene's Basement typically has a wide range of colors but other stores have them. And if you don't like the pashmina material (my mom is allergic to it), then get a different material in the same idea.

And wear it with ATTITUDE :D

Melissa

free shipping for that $48 sweater also...

I looked for months ar black shawl/wraps, but most were either just decorative and not for warmth, or they were warm but were not dressy...

Here are some different styles to give you an idea.

Newport News has some cute ones.

These would work for more of a casual atmosphere.....

I like the idea of pashminas for formal nights if you cannot find the right cardigan to go with your formal wear.

Here is one:

6F2157A.jpg

Here is another that is good for a more casual night:

6S0136A.jpg

Here is another:

6S3102A.jpg

The key to buying one is to make sure that the cardigan does not compete with your outfit.....it should all blend together.

I personally do not like the idea of a sweater at all with formal wear....it just does not go.

Smart casual maybe.....still not a fan.

I agree that pashminas would be the best option here, and can't imagine how something so luxurious and classic can go "out" . My guess is they won't. Something like this would be considered timeless.

I agree with Rachel that you need to be careful about competing with the outfit, detracting from it.

Here are some options for the pashminas, if you go this route. They are fantastic !

http://www.thepashminastore.com/

Also....

At the advice of another poster awhile back, I found this website.

I have ordered from her and she is wonderful.

She will send fabric swatches immedaitely at no charge.

She makes the wraps so fast and they are custom and beautiful.

This may help you as well.

Her name is Jendora....

http://stores.ebay.com/Jendoras-Wedding-Wraps-Place_W0QQssPageNameZstrkQ3amefsQ3amesstQQtZkm

I think it depends on the gown/dress.

I generally prefer classic styles and on a cruise will pack matte jersey, black and long for formal nights. My dresses are simply cut and usually have one unusual detail. I prefer halter necklines.

I am not a wrap fan and have a few beautiful evening cardigans. One is a waist length Carmen Marc Valvo beaded sweater which is simply gorgeous! Another is a black and gold lurex Dana Buchman fitted cardigan. I have also picked up a shrug or two that I can wear as needed.

I do bring a pashmina for informal and smart casual evenings but just am more comfortable in a beautiful sweater with my more formal dresses.

http://www.nyandcompany.com/nyco/browse/product_detail_with_picker.jsp?productId=prod60033

at NY & Company near me they had this sweater that i think would be good for all but the formal nights; i agree w/ other posters who said to go w/ a dressier wrap or pashmina with formal dresses. in the pic you can see the lace detail on the tank underneath, but the cardigan is actually not embellished at all. at the store by me they had red, black and pink, and the girl who helped me said that they are getting white, purple and a new shade of pink, too. it was pretty, a lightweight synthetic that looked like it would not wrinkle. i think i am going to go back and get one! (or two) ;)

Archived