Going the day before need help

Just booked the FOS for April 08 with air. We now think we want to go the day before and stay in Miami. Will the cruiseline charge an extra fee if we go the day before the cruise if we have them make the hotel arrangements? I think they used to offer a pre-cruise package but not sure anymore. We are a group of 4 families.

Thanks for any info.

You certainly can have RCI book everything for you--but you may pay more! If you're going the day before, why not check-out prices on your own. It's usually cheaper, and with the flights, you can pick the route, times, and seats that you want. Doing air through RCI, you're pretty much at their mercy!

If they book these things for you, yes, there is a charge!!!! It will depend on where you stay! (most of their hotels are in the expensive range--but they are NICE hotels!!!!)

Luvs2roam,

Go to:Cruise Critic Message Boards > ROLL CALLS - Members Only > ROLL CALLS - Royal Caribbean " Meet & Mingle" > Roll Calls - Freedom of the Seas navbits_finallink.gif Freedom of the Seas - April 8, 2007 04/08/07

I am sailing on the same cruise and changed my reservation to include a day early. See note #65 for details.

Also, sign up for the meet and mingle. It wont be long now!!!!

Just booked the FOS for April 08 with air. We now think we want to go the day before and stay in Miami. Will the cruiseline charge an extra fee if we go the day before the cruise if we have them make the hotel arrangements? I think they used to offer a pre-cruise package but not sure anymore. We are a group of 4 families.

Thanks for any info.

Have you checked it booking air and hotel yourself. I just checked out of curiosity what Jetblue is and the fares are between 89-125 each way per person. Granted they are only showing through Sept 4 currently but I was looking at history. Jetblue flies into FLL not MIA but then it is an 18$pp shuttle to Mia and about a 40-45 minute ride.

We had considered RCL hotels and they were really $$$$. There is a Holiday Inn Downtown,near the port which is very clean and convenient if you are trying to save a few $, like me. We are staying there in a couple of weeks. It is right across from the Bayside marketplace which has a bunch of shops and restaurants and is a great place to walk around for the afternoon. Some of our roll call group is meeting at Bubba Gump's Restaurant the night before our cruise.

I notice you mention a shuttle that goes between the Ft. Lauderdale airport and Miami for $18 pp... does that take you to the Port of Miami for the cruise ships on that shuttle? And, could you share the name and phone number of that service please...

And, if you don't book your air thru the cruiseline, can you still use their transfer service at the airport as another option to get from FLL to the port in Miami? Thanks in advance...

Book the air youself and make sure you come in a day early, one of our fellow cruisers just missed their vacation because of cruise air.

We used Sun for our transfers from the port of Miami to fll, they were great, called them up as we left the ship and there in minutes. They have a large van with trailer in back for all the luggage

305 219b 3098 or 305 790 0450

hope that helps

I notice you mention a shuttle that goes between the Ft. Lauderdale airport and Miami for $18 pp... does that take you to the Port of Miami for the cruise ships on that shuttle? And, could you share the name and phone number of that service please...

And, if you don't book your air thru the cruiseline, can you still use their transfer service at the airport as another option to get from FLL to the port in Miami? Thanks in advance...

The shuttle is called Tri-county and you will see them right outside of the baggage claim, no reservations are needed. They will take you to your hotel or to the port though you might have to make more than one stop depending if there are others in the van going elsewhere. This has never happened to us,but I have read that is has to other posters.

I believe you can purchase transfers directly from RCCL even if you are not using their air. I know you can in Seattle but have never researched from FLL. Remember though that if you use the cruise transfers they will wait for the bus to fill up before they go to the pier.

I agree, book your self. We always go a day early. Extra day of vacation, plus don't have to be concerned about anything that might happen such as bad weather, accidents, overbooking.

Going a day early will reduce the chances of delays in getting to your departure city on time, but it won't necessarily eliminate them. Just witness the problems in the Northeast during February vacation when people who planned to leave for vacation a day or two early were stranded because their flights were cancelled due to the bad weather and they could not be rebooked for two or three days. It is unusual but there were probably people who intended to fly in a day or two early who missed their cruise, while some whose schedule had them flying on the day of sailing, made it. I know someone who encountered this problem not only on the way down, when he was scheduled to fly in a day early but only made it to the ship barely an hour before it sailed and then, at the end of his cruise, was stuck in Miami from Sunday until Wednesday because of more weather-related flight delays.

How you book, directly with the airline or through the cruiseline, won't eliminate, possible flight delays or overbooking. Try to fly in early but have alternatives available, if possible, in case Murphy's Law comes into play.

Archived