Taking a taxi without car seats?

Host Jacquelyn

We will be traveling with a 3 and 4 year old soon. My question is how do we take taxis without carseats? Are we supposed to bring the carseats with us and strap them into the cabs everywhere? What do most people do? I don't think the kids will be 40 lbs by then, so they will still be too small for booster seats (although they will probably be close to 40 lbs). We plan on taking a cab from the airport in Miami to the ship, then on the islands. Help!

Sorry Jaqueline but that has been a hot button issue here lately. ;)

The short answer is yes, you need to carry car seats with you. There are many posts here with easier ways to carry carseats (new car seat travel systems)

I get around this my own way but it's not a cheap way to do it. I hire a private town car service to meet us at the ariport (with car seats) and drive us to our pre cruise hotel, then from hotel to cruise, and of course from port to airport again.

Once on the islands, if you do a cruise sponsored bus...you cannot take car seats with you, no seat belts means no car seats allowed.

Also, we take water taxis on some islands as a way to get around using taxis.

Here's the latest thread about it here

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=478819

Thanks for the replies - I can't believe I missed that thread. I honestly had no idea what people did, as we have never travelled with the kids. I am happy to hear that it shouldn't be a problem to bring the carseats... I'll have to see what the limits for booster seats are. Also, I didn't realize the kids needed carseats on a plane. I thought the whole need for a booster was so that the shoulder belts on a car would properly fit. Do most airlines allow carseats on the plane? Would we need boosters on a plane? Also, we can use booster seats in cars that only have lap belts, right? (I have never used a booster seat yet).

Thanks for the replies - I can't believe I missed that thread. I honestly had no idea what people did, as we have never travelled with the kids. I am happy to hear that it shouldn't be a problem to bring the carseats... I'll have to see what the limits for booster seats are. Also, I didn't realize the kids needed carseats on a plane. I thought the whole need for a booster was so that the shoulder belts on a car would properly fit. Do most airlines allow carseats on the plane? Would we need boosters on a plane?

No boosters on the plane, but you had indicated that your kids were too small for boosters. If you are using restraint carseats, you should use them on the plane. If you are using boosters, you should either check them with your luggage or gate check them and use them in vehicles with shoulder/lap combo seatbelts.

I find using a carseat on the plane is the only way to keep my 3 year old in one spot for that long. He is trained that when in the carseat he is not getting up till we stop. However, out of the carseat, he is running all over the place. I use a carseat on every airline trip, more for my sanity than anything else. As far as using them in the cabs, I'd bring them there too. We had a cab driver in Costa Maya that would have won the Amazing Race for us, but scared the XXX out of me. I was thankful for the car seat. Not bashing Costa Maya, which we loved, but you never know who you'll get for a cabbie in any place you go.

No boosters on the plane, but you had indicated that your kids were too small for boosters.

I should clarify... we are only travelling ion 9 months from now. Both my kids are currently around 35 pounds. I am assuming they will be about 40 or so pounds by the time we travel (maybe?) so boosters may be a possibility.

I should clarify... we are only travelling ion 9 months from now. Both my kids are currently around 35 pounds. I am assuming they will be about 40 or so pounds by the time we travel (maybe?) so boosters may be a possibility.

Yes then boosters are a possibility. But you won't be able to take them on the plane. You would just check them with your luggage. Only certain FAA approved car seats are allowed on planes. You can check your seat's owners manual to see if it's FAA approved. But no boosters on the plane at all.

And you're right, boosters can only be used where there are shoulder straps. It is to reposition the shoulder straps on the kids.

Booster seats are for kids 40lbs AND 40" tall. So if your child is 40lbs but not 40" tall, then you are suppose to keep them in the convertable car seat for now.

Thanks for all the helpful advice.

DD is already over 40" and DS is around 38", so I am confident that they will meet the booster seat height requirement. What happens, then, when we are in taxis w/o shoulder belts? It has been a while since we were in Mexico, and I do not recall whether the cabs there had shoulder belts or only lap belts in the back seat (certainly the middle seat). Would the child still be able to use the booster, or does it serve no purpose? Is it still safe?? Pardon these inexperienced questions... we just want to be prepared. :)

Stateside cab companies usually supply them. You have to ask in advance when you call for a cab. In the islands, I never asked for one and they weren't offered. In other words, don't expect cabs in the Caribbean to have them. If safety is a factor you can bring your own but honestly, with the stroller, etc. what a hassle.

Stateside cab companies usually supply them. You have to ask in advance when you call for a cab.

Have you ever gotten a cab from the airport with carseats? How long do you need to wait for the cab w/carseats to arrive? My thoughts now are to buy 2 'small' boosters (provided my kids will be big enough), and take them along with me.

Thanks for all the helpful advice.

DD is already over 40" and DS is around 38", so I am confident that they will meet the booster seat height requirement. What happens, then, when we are in taxis w/o shoulder belts? Is it still safe?? Pardon these inexperienced questions... we just want to be prepared. :)

No, it's not suppose to be used that way. Only with the shoulder belt.

The good news is that you can look for the mini van type taxis that I've seen all over the carribean...they all have shoulder belts in them.

Children are still safer in 5 point harnesses than in boosters. There has been a lot of publicity over 3 yo's in boosters who died in accidents they could have survived if they had been in a safer seat. There's a real push to keep kids out of them until later. Check out kyledavidmiller.com (or google his name to get his parents' site). Another good site to read up more on this issue is carseat.org.

I'm a former F/A and the FAA sticker should be right there on the seat. There was some misinformation in the other thread but I wont address that here. If you buy a seat for your child, are flying on a U.S. based carrier and you have a FAA approved seat, it can't be refused.

For the record, I have a Sit-n-Stroll and use that for taxis. It's scared a few taxi drivers but turns out they're worried about the wheels on their seats. There is actually a plastic flap that will protect the wheels. If you have a language issue going on, it's good to know why the driver is flapping around!

We are all trained (for good reason) to use car seats all the time. Though we have always used them, while in the Caribbean we did not.

I know many parents here will be aghast over even THINKING about not using them. Reality is that most of the world does not. Up unitl 30 years ago, they were not used in the states either. Remember those pictures of Mom holding the baby on the way home from the hospital. Somehow we managed.

Car seats safe lives. So does staying home. Life is a bit of give and take.

Up unitl 30 years ago, they were not used in the states either. Remember those pictures of Mom holding the baby on the way home from the hospital. Somehow we managed.

Too true...we managed but those who didn't aren't here to make their case! I read somewhere once that there were 30 deaths a year of babies just driving home from the hospital.

If there are no accidents, then there is no need for seatbelts.

Here's a good site for info;

http://www.carseat.org/

We are all trained (for good reason) to use car seats all the time. Though we have always used them, while in the Caribbean we did not.

I know many parents here will be aghast over even THINKING about not using them. Reality is that most of the world does not. Up unitl 30 years ago, they were not used in the states either. Remember those pictures of Mom holding the baby on the way home from the hospital. Somehow we managed.

Yes, car seats save lives.....even on vacation.

Up until 30 years ago smoking was considered safe. Your logic is not a reason to abdicate the parental responsibility of protecting your children.

"Somehow" we managed? No, we didn't - we are the ones that are left. Others died.

Most islands in the Carib. do have car seat laws, although not enforced. They do have seat belts in taxi's- you just need to search down in the seat or behind the seat. Once in a while the seat belts may be missing, you may have to wait for the next taxi - just a minute or two.

Jacquelyn,

You may want to try the Cares travel system for the plane (kidsflysafe.com) and the Tote 'n Go for taxis.

I do prefer the sit n stroll (plane/car/stroller) also. You can find them on ebay or craig's list at a discount.

Safe Travels!

• 1 year later...

Since it seems there are some very informed posters on this thread, I would like to ask for advice.

I have two kids. My son is 6.5 years old, 54 inches tall and about 84 lbs. At home he uses a booster since in WA state they suggest to use one until your child is 4'9".

My daughter is 4 years old, 44 inches tall and 44 lbs. Again, she typically uses a booster at home.

My plan had been to just bring a booster for DD. Should I rethink this? Would you use one for a kid as big as my DS?

Since it seems there are some very informed posters on this thread, I would like to ask for advice.

I have two kids. My son is 6.5 years old, 54 inches tall and about 84 lbs. At home he uses a booster since in WA state they suggest to use one until your child is 4'9".

My daughter is 4 years old, 44 inches tall and 44 lbs. Again, she typically uses a booster at home.

My plan had been to just bring a booster for DD. Should I rethink this? Would you use one for a kid as big as my DS?

I would take the booster for the 4 year old and use the taxi seatbelt for the 6.5 year old.

Have you seen the backless turbo boosters? They start at $24.99 at Toys R Us online. It would save you from lugging a large one. You can check this on the plane (can't be used ON the plane). But it would be easier to lug around.

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2861773

If you buy a seat for your child, are flying on a U.S. based carrier and you have a FAA approved seat, it can't be refused.

I do agree with you ...except for the word "can't". It shouldn't be refused, but it happened to me.

A year ago, a flight attendant (on a US airline) threatened to throw me off a plane when I objected to her refusal to allow me to install my son's car seat. It had an FAA sticker. She insisted I hold my 30+ lb son the entire flight.

When I got home, I complained to the airline. They did give me air miles to compensate for it.

I don't even try to bring a car seat on the plane anymore. I put it in checked luggage.

I do agree with you ...except for the word "can't". It shouldn't be refused, but it happened to me.

A year ago, a flight attendant (on a US airline) threatened to throw me off a plane when I objected to her refusal to allow me to install my son's car seat. It had an FAA sticker. She insisted I hold my 30+ lb son the entire flight.

When I got home, I complained to the airline. They did give me air miles to compensate for it.

I don't even try to bring a car seat on the plane anymore. I put it in checked luggage.

LOL! I had the SAME thing happen to me. Which is why I don't attempt it anymore either. The flight attendant made a big fuss about it. Said we needed to check it. I told her it was FAA approved. She said it didn't matter. I could have crawled UNDER the seat I was so embarrassed. But she ended up allowing it in the end.

Just got back from the Caribbean with a 11 month old and we had no problem using our car seat on the plane. Did have to argue with them to let us put it in the middle seat instead of the window, but they finally agreed that it was ok since there was a parent on either side. We got a taxi at the FLL airport and they required us to use our car seat. Just sat there meter running while I installed it in the back seat (no LATCH of course). It was a pain to lug around, but we were glad we brought it.

Western Carribean cruise in May, going with out boosters or carseats. GASP. :eek: Ages 9, 5 and 2.

You know, I see on other threads here that you do things for shock value. You openly brag that you are going to let your non-potty trained child in the pool on Glory.

But why brag that you aren't going to take a carseat for a TWO year old? :rolleyes: Keep bragging, but if you are going out of Miami, the first question they ask you when you try to get a taxi is "Where is your car seat?"

Would you drive around the US without one? Have you seen the way they drive in the Carribean? :eek:

I am not going to sit here and say that we always took a car seat. Because on one cruise, we didn't. But we also didn't take ANY taxis on that cruise either, not one. For the safety of your children, I hope you won't be in any taxis either. To say they drive like maniacs in the Carribean is an understatement. :(

Archived