Best way to Old Town San Diego from Docks?

luvthis

Does anyone know what the cost is to get from the San Diego Cruise Dock to Old Town and the best way to get there? We arrive at 7 a.m. but must depart at 1 p.m. A very short visit. No time to do the zoo or Sea World, but thought we could go to Old Town and enjoy the morning.

Any insight or experience would be appreciated. Also, if you have any other ideas of something fun to do in that short window of time and the cost of transportation to do so would be appreciated.

Thanks!

--Jean

The cheapest way is to walk 2 blocks to the Amtrak (Santa Fe) train station and take the trolley northbound to the Old Town Transit Station.

From there it is just a few blocks walk to Old Town, which is not a very large area. There are many signs showing the way, but it is just east of the platform.

Plan on having lunch at one of the great restaurants there, my favorite is the Old Town Mexican Cafe.

Of course you can take a cab, which would be about $6-8 one way.

David

Princess is offering a Trolley Old Town Tour for $29 per person. The total time of the tour is 2 hours. All 3 of the time slots are showing "waitlisted" already. To me, if Bob & I independently get there, I have to believe it will be less expensive than $58 for the 2 of us and we won't have to stay within that 2 hour timeframe.

I'm really sad that we won't have time to go the the zoo. The original itinerary had us in San Diego until 5 p.m., but there must have been some sort of conflict at the port and we now must leave at 1 p.m.

I watched a show on the travel channel the other day about San Diego and I was surprised at how much there is to do there. Old Town looked like a fun place to hang out, but other suggestions are also welcomed.

Don't waste your money on the Old Town Trolley Tour (private tour) if you don't have all day to spend. The San Diego Trolley (public transit) is cheaper and will work to get you to and from Old Town for about $4 round trip....but what are you going to do with your luggage? And it is unlikely you will be off the ship sooner than 10AM, and with a 1PM flight, you need to be at the airport by 1130 latest....

Instead, perhaps take stay right by the pier (leave your luggage for a bit) and take in the ships that are part of the San Diego Maritime Museum. The Star of India is the oldest still-sailing iron sailing ship afloat. The Berkley has great displays, and I think the Rose (the ship from Master and Commander) is still there too. They even have a Soviet era submarine to go aboard. http://www.sdmaritime.com/

bahuaerialcompressed.jpg

Oops...didn't clarify that our final destination is Seattle. San Diego is just a port stop. You're right...if we were disembarking that would be a completely different situation. We arrive at 7 a.m. and the ship moves on at 1 p.m. I think a walk from the docks to catch the trolley to Old Town sounds like the best way to go. Princess also offers a maritime tour, but there again, if passengers want to to that, I'm sure it is less expensive to do it independently, as well. Someday we'll have to return and spend some time in San Diego and visit the zoo and Sea World and some of the other major attractions. For now, we're really excited about our upcoming cruise.

--Jean & Bob

The trolley to Old Town is definitely an option and very doable, depending on the schedule in effect at that time you can have a 15-30 minute wait between trolleys. It is not that far by cab (probably under $10) so for about double the price of the trolley you can get there quickly and when you want to go.

If you real want to see the zoo I'd suggest you hop a cab (again less than $10) and get there about 8:30. You can buy a ticket and be first in when they open at 9:00. You can see a major portion of the zoo in three hours, walk out the gates at noon, catch a cabin and be back on board by 12:30 no problem.

The waterfront area is very nice if you decided to stay there. Walk a few blocks one way and you're in Sea Port Village. You also have the Midway, which is an aircraft carrier that has been turned into a museum. The Star of India and maritime museum are a block the other way. There are several good restuarants in Sea Port Village or along the waterfront if you want to have breakfast or lunch off the ship.

...Princess also offers a maritime tour, but there again, if passengers want to to that, I'm sure it is less expensive to do it independently, as well.

If you decide you want to do a harbor tour, look for the San Diego Harbor Excursion ticket booth a few yards to the south of your ship. There's a 1 hour tour or a 2 hour tour. Both leave at 10:00.

Thanks for all the pointers. I really wish we had more time in San Diego but we will make use of the time we are there. The zoo is what I'd really like to do, but just don't know if there will be time without cutting it very close in getting back to the ship. I think we'll end up going to Old Town. That sounds like a fun way to spend the morning.

How much is admission to the zoo?

--Jean

If you real want to see the zoo I'd suggest you hop a cab (again less than $10) and get there about 8:30. You can buy a ticket and be first in when they open at 9:00. You can see a major portion of the zoo in three hours, walk out the gates at noon, catch a cabin and be back on board by 12:30 no problem.

We just got back from a visit to San Diego and did the zoo one day.

I would agree that this is definitely do-able -- not ideal, because the zoo is truly wonderful and you could spend days seeing everything. But it would be a great way to get a little taste of it. It is quick and easy to get a cab to the zoo, it drops you off right in front of the ticket gate and there are cabs waiting outside the exit when you depart.

I would also add that the best value ticket ($33 or $27 with a AAA discount) includes a tour on a double decker bus. That takes 45 minutes, and is a great way to get an overview of the entire zoo, and you get lots of interesting tidbits of information. If you get in line for the tour as soon as the zoo opens, you'll have a minimal wait. You can also hop on and off the express buses throughout the zoo to cover more territory than by walking.

Hope that helps - we thought the zoo was fabulous and can't wait to go back to San Diego with our kids.

Thanks for the website, Splinter, and thanks for your personal experience, ppfqp. More to ponder. I think planning for a cruise is as exciting as the cruise itself. Boy...I'd love to see the zoo. We have a very small zoo here in Racine, Wisconsin and there is a nice zoo in Milwaukee, but they really pale to San Diego. Bob & I have gone to Busch Gardens Tampa a few times, as well as Wild Kingdom in Orlando, and we also have gone to the Tampa zoo. However, if not this visit, someday we will get to the San Diego Zoo. I love animals of all kinds.

--Jean

Archived