downloading photos to iPod question

gomomgo

I am considering purchasing an iPod based on people's comments that you can download your photos onto it. Can this be done without a computer? I'm just looking for an easy way to back up my digital cards without a computer. Do you need any extra peripherals to do this?

You may want to consider a unit like the Epson P-3000 photo viewer or the P-2000 that it replaced but is available at a reduced price. They have slots for CF and SD cards built in and a beautiful 3.8" screen with pan and zoom capability to view and check focus, etc. They will also play video and MP3 files.

My WW surprised me with one for our anniversary a couple of years ago and I haven't taken a laptop on a trip since.

There are many available from different makers, but I picked the Epson for the best bang for the buck.

Dave

I am considering purchasing an iPod based on people's comments that you can download your photos onto it. Can this be done without a computer? I'm just looking for an easy way to back up my digital cards without a computer. Do you need any extra peripherals to do this?

This is a good question. I just recently purchased an iPod, and never looked into how to do this. I hope someone on here knows how, so I can start downloading them onto my iPod also!

I may be wrong, but I don't think you can transfer the pics from your camera to your ipod without the use of a computer. We have several ipods (3 and 4th gen, ipod video, nano (2 and 4 gig) and mini -clip and they all have to connect to the computer to allow us to use the transfer feature of Itunes.

As mentioned there may be a way, but I don't about it.

I may be wrong, but I don't think you can transfer the pics from your camera to your ipod without the use of a computer. We have several ipods (3 and 4th gen, ipod video, nano (2 and 4 gig) and mini -clip and they all have to connect to the computer to allow us to use the transfer feature of Itunes.

As mentioned there may be a way, but I don't about it.

How do you go about doing this?

Note: Compatible with iPod with color display (software v1.1 or later) and iPod with video only.

While the iPod is an excellent music player (among other things), it definitely isn't the best choice for photo storage. If you already own one, then use it, but certainly don't buy one if your main reason to get one is to download your photos. The Epson unit pierces recommended is the way to go.

Note: Compatible with iPod with color display (software v1.1 or later) and iPod with video only.

While the iPod is an excellent music player (among other things), it definitely isn't the best choice for photo storage. If you already own one, then use it, but certainly don't buy one if your main reason to get one is to download your photos. The Epson unit pierces recommended is the way to go.

No, probably not the best choice for photo storage, but there's nothing wrong with it. Certainly if you're like me and already have a 30g iPod video that's going on vacation with me anyway, why not spend the $29 and offload pictures to it if necessary? It'll save me lugging a laptop halfway around the world.

The epson unit is $500 new for a P-3000. Quite a bit more than an iPod. I guess it depends if you want a music player that can store photos or a photo storage device that can also play music.

No, probably not the best choice for photo storage, but there's nothing wrong with it. Certainly if you're like me and already have a 30g iPod video that's going on vacation with me anyway, why not spend the $29 and offload pictures to it if necessary? It'll save me lugging a laptop halfway around the world.

The epson unit is $500 new for a P-3000. Quite a bit more than an iPod. I guess it depends if you want a music player that can store photos or a photo storage device that can also play music.

The P-2000 can be found for about $350 now (thrilling to me since WW bought mine for $500 :( ) and has the same storage as the P-3000, just a slower processor. After looking at all the options, it was the best choice...for me. The 3.8" screen has over twice the area and four times the resolution of the iPod's and displays full color per pixel rather than an RGB array, giving it an even higher effective resolution. It's amazingly clear and bright and displays beautiful color. You can organize photos into albums and display slide shows on your room tv with an inexpensive optional cable. It also displays RAW files (though it won't zoom RAW) if you prefer to shoot in that format.

I agree that if you already have a high-capacity video iPod, it's logical to get the adapter and go with what you have. I also agree that if the music function is of prime importance when not being used for photo storage, the iPod is considerably smaller and was designed for just that. My personal choice was driven by indifference to the music function and the fact that I wanted detailed review and organizational capability on the device to replace my laptop on trips. After way too much homework, I chose the Epson over the other offerings. I'm not saying it's the best for everybody, just sharing my positive experience with the Epson units with anybody that is considering a portable photo storage device....your mileage may vary.

Dave

I have the camera connector for my Ipod video and it works great. Quick and easy no pc required. I take both with me on vacation anyway, and the Ipod is a great storage device until I can upload them when I get home.

Easy there, I didn't say you shouldn't use your iPod for photo storage, I think iPods are great, and if you already own one, you should definitely use it. But if you don't already own one and are thinking of getting one primarily for photo storage, then I think you might be better served buying a hard drive based photo storage unit like the Epson. If you don't want to spend huge $, there are other much less expensive choices.

mademac.gif

if you already own one, you should definitely use it. But if you don't already own one and are thinking of getting one primarily for photo storage, then I think you might be better served buying a hard drive based photo storage unit like the Epson.

I didn't mean to sound like I was pushing the iPod over a "real" storage device. Just pointing out that for many of us, it's a great alternative. I'm with you on the fact that the Epson (or similar) device is a better choice for more avid photographers. Believe me, I'd love to have one, but not being more than a casual photographer, I can't really justify it. I'd love to have all the latest gadgets but have to eat too.

After way too much homework, I chose the Epson over the other offerings. I'm not saying it's the best for everybody, just sharing my positive experience with the Epson units with anybody that is considering a portable photo storage device....your mileage may vary.

Agreed it's a terrific little device, especially for someone like yourself who takes a lot more pictures than I do. My choice to get an iPod video wasn't really a choice. DW got me one and I couldn't just not accept it. ;) so the $29 + iPod option works out the best ... for me.

BTW, I too usually do "way too much homework" before I buy anything. nothing wrong with that.

Thanks for all the ideas. I'm now looking into the Wolverine Flashpac 40g which can be used without a computer, but you cannot view pictures from it. Just $99 from the Wolverine site, so it's economical and can be used as a backup drive as well. It will hold more than I need and seems simple to use. Happy snappin'!

I use a 4th Generation (pre-video) iPod to store photos on vacation and it has never let me down. All you need is the camera connector and your iPod cable. This is a list of compatible cameras (only a partial list I think, because my camera, a new Canon IS23 is not on here, but works perfectly with it).

http://www.apple.com/ipod/compatibility/cameraconnector.html

I prefer using the iPod for backing up my cards because:

1. It works great.

2. We would be taking the iPod anyway and that makes one less piece of equip I have to take.

Mike

Thanks for all the ideas. I'm now looking into the Wolverine Flashpac 40g which can be used without a computer, but you cannot view pictures from it. Just $99 from the Wolverine site, so it's economical and can be used as a backup drive as well. It will hold more than I need and seems simple to use. Happy snappin'!

Thanks for your idea. Interesting "toy" that I might just need!

Archived