Washington DC

Well....I could pretend that we are cruising out of Philadelphia and are taking a side trip to DC....but actually we're doing a land vacation this summer and cruising in the fall.

We will be spending a week in DC in July and I've pretty much figured out what we're doing and waiting to see what/when tickets we'll be getting from our congressperson for other tours. I discovered there was a Six Flags America within metro transit's reach. Has anyone been? Is it a safe train/bus ride? I've read mixed reports on the park and would love your opinions before we based 1/6th of our vacation on it.

I know for me this isn't a 'cruise' post but it could be helpful to someone else who is cruising out of Phili or NYC....

Thanks.

Have not been to the Six Flags, but all the Metros are safe.

Now in DC, make sure you see the Viet Nam Wall, the Korean Memorial and the WWII Memorial. Now if you have children, directly across the street from the Wall is a huge statue of Einstein in the garden. The kids can climb on it and have a blasr.

Also there is the newest meorial the Air Force memorial over the bridge towards Arlington. Just look for the sweeping monument and follow your nose. Below that is of course the Marine Corps memorial commonly referred to as the Iwo Jima memorial.

just got back last wee from DC for the annual visit.

We drove to Largo from Baltimore when it was new, several years ago, just because we had never been to a Six Flags. It was a weekday in the spring and it was packed. I would never even attempt to go there in July, with or without children. It will be miserably hot and humid on the asphalt walkways, absolutely mobbed and long waits for everything. Think of a smaller, tacky version of a large amusement park with wave pools, etc.

The Smithsonian, however, is air conditioned. ;) Like the Met in NYC, the Smithsonian could take days to tour. The tourists love the DC Ducks (we have them in Baltimore also).

http://www.historictours.com/washington/dcducks/

Good luck, but I'd avoid Six Flags like the plague. :D

Oh, and yes, DC has a fabulous, fast and clean Metro system.

We will be spending a week in DC in July and I've pretty much figured out what we're doing and waiting to see what/when tickets we'll be getting from our congressperson for other tours. I discovered there was a Six Flags America within metro transit's reach. Has anyone been? Is it a safe train/bus ride? I've read mixed reports on the park and would love your opinions before we based 1/6th of our vacation on it. I know for me this isn't a 'cruise' post but it could be helpful to someone else who is cruising out of Phili or NYC....Thanks.

Thank you both. Our 'baby' is 17 so I know he'd put up with the heat but not if there are long lines and hoards of people. We went to the Magic Mountain (California) a couple years ago and it seemed like every roller coaster they wanted to go on was closed or would break through out the day.

I appreciate your input. I have a pretty good idea of all the museums, memorials, Library of Congress, etc. that we'll see. Since the museums seem to close at 5:00-ish, what would you suggest to do in the evening? Since it'll be daylight until 9:00 or later I won't have a happy crew if we just hang out in the hotel room.

I've heard the metro is a wonderful system.

Again - I realize these aren't 'cruise questions' but I couldnt' think of anyone else who could give such good advice as cruisecritic!

Thanks.

Depending on where you are staying, you could metro over th China Town for dinner. It's a fascinating place to visit. If you do go, you simply must eat at Tony Chen's. The best Mongolian barbecue in town! A bit pricey but all you can eat! It's actually two restaurants in one, with the barbecue downstairs and a more traditional Chinese restaurant upstairs. I would get there fairly early however as it is a very popular place and fills up quickly.

While Georgetown is a very interesting area, there is no metro train to that area. You would have to try and figure out the bus schedule, or take a taxi.

Other things to consider is the Spy Museum, thats kind of cool and just a couple of blocks away from China Town, the area around China Town has several great restaurants. Check the Washington Post and see what's going on at the various theaters in town. There is always a play or something happening.

And, I have to agree with others, Six Flags simply is not worth the effort in July. We have been there twice for corporate events and regretted it. Extremely hot and very crowded.

Cheers,

I actually now reside within 1 mile of Six Flags. My kids would walk or bicycle to work at the park....so....I'm very, very, familiar with the area.

My truly unbiased opinion. Yes, the metro is safe. Would recommend that you exit the metro at Largo (end of the line) versus Addison (old end of the line). You will transfer to a bus to the trip to Six Flags approximately 5 miles. There are cabs available ...but no cost savings. When I carpool with hubby and leave early, taxis cost approximately $20.00 with tip from the metro station. I've noticed the bus drivers paying close attention to passengers who appear nervous and traveling to Six Flags.

Don't feel nervous about the area, if economics were a sign good breeding-which it is not--the area has the highest income for minorities for the entire U.S. Unfortunately, nobody can control who comes to the park. In my years, of living in the area, there was one major incident a few years ago of rival gang members "meeting" --they don't live anywhere near---at the park for a "rumble."

It is my understanding after that incident, security became even tighter. Even living this close, we have no noise issue and only minor traffic annoyances. Remember the owner of the Redskins , Dan Snyder, owns this particular park. The park is surrounded by homes that cost a minimun of $500,000--if you can find one. Directly across from the park is the huge Evangel Temple or Cathedral.

Last year Six Flags made the news unfavorably because of their policies against Black workers' hairstyles and their preference recruitment of East Europeans students to work in the park. Again, unfortunately, corporate America and many other Americans do not understand braids or dredlocks. They are not a sign of radicalism...just a way to ensure clean, managable hair without they use of chemicals to give hair the caucasian appearance.

It you have small children they will love Six Flags. If you have teenagers-it will probably be a "been there, done that before" at another park. Parking is about $10.00 at the park and discount tickets can be obtained anywhere.

The only hotels I would recommend in this area would be located on U.S.301/ U.S.50 intersection either Townplace or Homewood Suites-very nice--which stays booked and is located in the Bowie Town Center. You could then drive to park.

If you need a guide or further questions just email.

EB

Thank you.

We are staying at 1600 Rhode Island Ave NW - in what I assume is close to the heart of things in DC. I thought maybe we could go to Mt Vernon for an afternoon/evening. I'll look into Georgetown and check that out.

I appreciate your advice - I think I'll look into something else besides Six Flags. Personally I don't want to stand in the heat waiting in line for roller coaster rides that will make me sick...but the vacation isn't just about me I suppose. I am sure the guys don't want to spend 5 days looking at art galleries and discovering with awe the Stone House, which is my idea of a good time!! Ahhhh...the fun of planning a successful family vacation!

Well....I could pretend that we are cruising out of Philadelphia and are taking a side trip to DC....but actually we're doing a land vacation this summer and cruising in the fall.

We will be spending a week in DC in July and I've pretty much figured out what we're doing and waiting to see what/when tickets we'll be getting from our congressperson for other tours. I discovered there was a Six Flags America within metro transit's reach. Has anyone been? Is it a safe train/bus ride? I've read mixed reports on the park and would love your opinions before we based 1/6th of our vacation on it.

I know for me this isn't a 'cruise' post but it could be helpful to someone else who is cruising out of Phili or NYC....

Thanks.

If you were going to have a car, I'd recommend Kings Dominion, a straight shot south on 95 ... almost 2 hours but a much better am' park....

We are right over the bay bridge from Annapolis. The metro is great and will get you just about anywhere. ONce you are downtown at the "mall" area of DC you can walk to just about all the attractions DC has to offer. We love the musuems.....our oldest is 14......really like the musuem of natural history and american history. Check to see if you can get tickets for the monument....it had been closed for a bit. That is very cool to go all the way up and see the view.

I would skip six flags.....Maryland summers are very hot and very humid! It will not be fun to stnad in lines at the park. It is not a huge park......

If you have a car yo can drive to the ocean....about 3 hours from DC.

A good thing to do in DC is get a ticket for one of the open air tour busand you can get on and off throughout the day. It goes to all the big attractions in DC.

Have fun!!!

Sandi

I would recommend King's Dominion also for teenagers! Yes, your son will be ready to stage a revolution if he has to endure 5 days of museums.

The drive down south to King's Dominion will be nice. But I also would not close the door on Six Flags for a quick trip....it has a nice water park.

Thanks again to you all. I'm still undecided about six flags - only because of the heat. I would like to go to Mt Vernon for a day and will investigate Georgetown for evening entertainment. Anyone every been to DC on the fourth of July? I know it'll be crazy but do you have any tips on where to see the parade best (how early you have to get there?) or the fireworks at night?

I appreciate the kindness of our cruisecritic 'friends'!

Okay - here are my 2 cents worth. First off, I must live right around the corner from Ebony 'cause I'm within shouting distance of 6 Flags as well. If you do decide to visit 6 Flags, just get there when they open - that's what we do. Yes, there are huge lines to enter, but then everyone fans out and they disappear. We just stay a few hours (until around lunch) and then leave when the crowds starting flowing in. Its not the best park - in that the rides aren't anything awe-inspiring - so you won't need hours on end there.

I disagree with a trip to Kings Dominion. That's a long car trip to stand around in lines in the heat just to turn around and drive back again at the end of the day.

Also, if you have a car, check out Annapolis for the day. Its a pretty city, lots of shopping, the naval academy, good restaurants and you can catch one of the boat trips to cool off (so, see, we DID include cruising on this trip!).

Another poster mentioned the Spy Museum and that's great for tweens and teens. Make a reservation, though. The lines can get long.

Yes, definately catch the DC Ducks (you pick up tickets at Unoin Station) - its a hoot (or a quack?!). They drive around DC in these old land/water crafts and you really learn a lot about the city. Then, they splash down into the water and you take a river cruise (again - another cruise!).

If your son likes baseball, pick up tickets to see the Nationals or go see one of the minor league teams in the area (we go see the Bowie Baysox all the time).

You can take another road trip up to Baltimore and visit the Inner Harbor. The aquarium is great (again, get tickets in advance), there is great shopping and then find a good place to get some crab cakes.

Like others have said, the DC area in July can be brutal. The triple H - hazy, hot and humid! Just think A/C and trips to the water. Try to plan your outdoor activities for early AM or evening and leave the museums for mid-day.

Have fun!

The 4th of July!! Whew, you really picked a very busy day for downtown D.C. A lot of families arrive early (picnic) to pick out a spot on the "mall" to watch the fireworks. If you're in Georgetown some locations may be able to see the fireworks from there. However, I can't really recall a lot of skyscrapers in Georgetown. Fireworks will begin about 9-10 pm.

Six Flags will have fireworks that night and most small municipalities. I vote for a visit to Annapolis--make sure he sees the Navy Academy and drop hints about him applying!!!

A good idea is to take a dinner cruise out of Old Town Virginia on that night and watch the fireworks from the boat!! You would probably have to reserve early.

I've always watched the D.C. fireworks from my skyscraper building in Virginia or toward the east on the Capitol's steps.

But there is nothing like Baseball on the 4th....and the Bowie Baysox will have fireworks and so will the town of Bowie!

Archived