What to do in San Juan - on Crown 7/5/07

zippnby

So I was just booking my excursions for my upcoming cruise on the Crown. There is nothing that really floats our boats. (We are a family of 5 with kids ages 12,9,7 who are the adventure type). Why does Princess offer so few excursions on San Juan? Does anybody gone off on their own and done something fun in San Juan? :)

We've been to San Juan several times, and we've never done a cruiseline excursion. There is so much to see and do! For sure, just walking around Old San Juan will be a terrific adventure! You might want to visit Isla Verde if you enjoy beaches, and the Condado district is fun to explore. But with kids your children's ages, Old San Juan on your own is great. You can visit either one of the forts and learn about some history while there. The restaurants in Old San Juan are enjoyable, too. If you take the bus, it's free, and you can get on and off at various stops along the route to get a "tour" of the city. Take a look at the Ports of Call forum and check out the San Juan section. There will be lots of ideas for you to look into. Enjoy!

I agree. Just walk from the ship to the Fort. On the way there is a fountain with gysers. Have the kids wear their suits and they can run barefoot thru the public fountain. My son loved it and played along side the local kids. The fort is a great adventure. Also, the Governor's Palace has free tours twice daily (I think 11 and 2PM). It is really a nice little tour and one of the best vantage points in Old San Juan.

The shops are nice there too.

Whatever you do, don't get snowballs (flavored ice) at one of the roadside stands. The stuff in the bottles sits in the sun and mine was undrinkable.

Make sure to bring lots of bottled water from the ship when walking around Old San Juan. Gets very hot! They do sell water at the Fort but you'll need it before you get there.

The caves is something we looked into doing but we dock in San Juan on a Monday. So that does us in. Is the Isle verde beach crowded? Is it better to do old San Juan in the morning then do the beach after lunch? We are there from 10 am until midnight.

I agree. Just walk from the ship to the Fort. On the way there is a fountain with gysers. Have the kids wear their suits and they can run barefoot thru the public fountain. My son loved it and played along side the local kids. The fort is a great adventure. Also, the Governor's Palace has free tours twice daily (I think 11 and 2PM). It is really a nice little tour and one of the best vantage points in Old San Juan.

That actually sounds like something we could do. I bet the kids will love to play in the fountain. How long is the walk from the ship to the fort.

Thanks for all your help

I have two suggestions:

(1) Old San Juan on your own (and save lots of $). Definitely visit one of the forts.

(2) El Yunque Rain Forest. You will need a car or join a tour.

IMHO, beaches around San Juan are not that good compared with other Caribbean beaches.

Archived