Cruise lines discuss ways to deal with changing demographics

scejas

Thanks Scejas! I'd like to add another demographic that has been ignored--those of us in the Western U.S! Believe me, the country does not end at the Mississippi River and there are plenty of cruisers that would love to have some cruises on the Pacific Ocean. For families, cross-country airfare is extremely expensive, and during the summer when the kids are out of school our choices are few. We can either pay big bucks to fly to Florida, pay bigger bucks to freeze in Alaska, or have to put up with old, small ships on short "booze cruises." Why is RCI sending the big new ships to Europe and ignoring us? Surely there are good ports in Mexico, Hawaii or the Panama Canal. Sorry, I had to vent. Anyone else feel this way?

YES!!! And especially out of San Francisco! I took the Dawn Princess to Mexican Riviera last November, out of SF, and it was awesome to be able to drive to the port. But now, they're sending it down to San Diego. So Alaska is about the only option, except for a few really long cruises, out of SF.

Thanks Scejas! I'd like to add another demographic that has been ignored--those of us in the Western U.S! Believe me, the country does not end at the Mississippi River and there are plenty of cruisers that would love to have some cruises on the Pacific Ocean. For families, cross-country airfare is extremely expensive, and during the summer when the kids are out of school our choices are few. We can either pay big bucks to fly to Florida, pay bigger bucks to freeze in Alaska, or have to put up with old, small ships on short "booze cruises." Why is RCI sending the big new ships to Europe and ignoring us? Surely there are good ports in Mexico, Hawaii or the Panama Canal. Sorry, I had to vent. Anyone else feel this way?

I am so with you! We simply can't afford the airfare for the 4 of us to Florida, and RC does gyp us out here.:( I am going to Alaska this year for the first time, but I am really not enthused about it. I WANT HEAT AND PALM TREES!!! :D My family wants to go on the Mexican Riviera cruise, but we can only all go in the summer. That leaves Carnival. Been there, done that, prefer RC.;) I really wish they had year-round Mexican cruises, and mixed it up some to offer new ports.

Yes from here too. We would LOVE to have more cruising options out of California. We're doing our second cruise on the Monarch, which will probably seem really pale in comparison to last year's Explorer cruise. Plus, I'd just like to have more places to go and more flexibility on dates. Listen up, RCI!

Amen. I love the thoughts. For those of us who live in land locked areas, the cost of air fare to do anything other than "short booze cruise" gets really expensive. I wish RCI would place a ship like the Rhapsody on the west coast. The itenary for Monarch is ok, just a more modern ship as someone has posted would be great, and I agree, sign me up so I can Get Out There...

D :)

That's the problem with West Coast cruises, there is no real variety in ports. You can do Mexico, Ensenada, PV, Mazatlan, Cabo. In the US, Catalina and San Diego. They might be able to add the one that starts with an I, and Acalpulco. Or you can go north and hit Astoria, OR, BC, and Alaska. And although they are very fun cruises, there is not a lot for returning cruise ship passengers. :)

Here is another article with this one from Seatrader Inside News. You do have to register to read but this is a good site for up to date cruise news.

http://www.cruise-community.com/ShowStory.asp?ID=11400

The last paragraph was interesting. Bob Dickinson who is the President of Carnival stated:

But Dickinson voiced concern that lines are not focused enough on attracting new cruisers. Also, ‘our product is too good a value,’ he said. ‘We’re just giving away the cruises at too low a price.’

..............................................................................................

I have to wonder which cruise lines he means when he states that the lines are not focused on attracting new customers. IMHO Royal Caribbean does a better job of this than anyone with their advertising and also the amount of added amenitites on board for familes.

the only cruise ship we ever see is a Russian one. Not even Great Lakes Cruises comes here. We have to fly as driving is far too long to get to a ship. No cheap airlines in Cleveland & driving 2 hours to Canton to their airport to fly Air Tran, Frontier or down to Columbus to get Jet Blue. We just have SWA who doesn't fly to Maimi. And they are known for cancelling flights leaving folks stranded.

I agree with MACOP, costs to Florida is not great either but if we do it once a year it's manageable. Just would like to cruise more often but the airfare is sometimes more than the cruise!

Also would like to see more RCI ships do Hawaii cruises, just the 2 isn't near enough. And we don't want to do Norwegin...

Sue

Also would like to see more RCI ships do Hawaii cruises, just the 2 isn't near enough. And we don't want to do Norwegin...

Sue

Great comment; I agree. And let's add Kauai back to the itinerary...

Archived