Don't all the islands south of Florida really look the same?

LOL! and you bump it up yourself! NOT agood argument! Hey I don't mind reading conversationlist's stuff-he hasn't convinced me of anything-but he is very entertaining.

Wait a minute. What argument!? You need to learn how to read more carefully. I get a kick out of his posts and did not suggest that I had any issue with them whatsoever. I did address the folks who seem to have a problem with them but continually respond, giving him the attention that they find disturbing. At least his posts aren't boring unlike 99% of the dreck posted here.

Wait a minute. What argument!? You need to learn how to read more carefully. I get a kick out of his posts and did not suggest that I had any issue with them whatsoever. I did address the folks who seem to have a problem with them but continually respond, giving him the attention that they find disturbing. At least his posts aren't boring unlike 99% of the dreck posted here.

Just joking! look at this "questioner's" threads here-Questioner just joined cruisecritic today (March 14) and he sure sounds like conversationlist! I belive conversationlist has changed his name for some reason!

I think conversationlist should have called himself debater or maybe complainer! But as I said his stuff does not bother me-because I know it is not true!

Yes, perhaps even better name would be mass-debater. gy.gif

Even if he is just "stirring the pot", he/she gets interesting subjects out there. Reminds me of the Coffee time from Saturday Night Live. Here's a topic, discuss it among yourselves. Mike Meyers cracks me up.
Now I'm verklempt. Talk among yourselves...here's a topic for you: Ice cubes, square or round, which are better?

• 1 year later...

although I still cruise the caribbean more then other areas, it is because I live in Georgia, and that is more affordabale for me. I still love crusing and will cruise for the ship if nothing else. I am fortunate enough that about every 4 or 5 years I can do a nicer cruise

If you only do and see the tourist crap, yes, different rock, same crap. If you can take the time to go just a little native, now that is a different story. I lived from one end of Windards/Leeward for 5 years on my sailboat. And it is a different world from what cruise ship passangers see. If you really want to "know" the islands and her people you have slow down and spend more that 8 hours. Some times I read what cruise ship passangers say about a particular island nation, and I wonder what and where they are talking about. If you find a place that you like make your next trip by plane or mail boat and spend a couple of weeks getting to know the locals, believe me when I say that if you make effort it will be worth it.

The islands, south of Florida, are quite varied- I've never seen a twin!

Have traveled to many of the islands- lots of beauty and some poverty- but not as much poverty as in some places, including the U.S. Take a train down the East Coast of the U.S. and you will see poverty and trash galore.

If people don't want to experience reality on a cruise or trip- they can fly to an all-inclusive!

Aww, thanks for showing love to the east coast! We appreciate that! ;)

I talk often to people on cruise ships who love to eat, drink, sit out by the pool, gamble, and go to shows. What they have no interest in is leaving the boat. Here is some of the comments I have heard:

Everything for sale is made in China and is junky tourist garbage

I do not want to be hassled by the natives (locals)

I do not like tenders, I will get sea sick

Every island is the same, a group of shanty towns and desperate people giving tours driving you around and around a group of palm trees.

Look at this place dear, it looks dirty and unsafe

It will cost me money to eat off the ship, here it is free. I will get sick eating and drinking the food on the island.

They do not speak English on the island. I do not want to go anywhere that people do not speak basic English

It is scary looking out there, lets stay on the ship

--------------------

Admit it, sometimes it is easier to be like one of these people and just stay on the ship. Don't you agree?

Well, that's the difference between "tourists" and "travelers". Attitudes and actions separate the "men from the boys" so to speak.

Tourists sit around and complain about the differences between "them" and "us"....they are usually fearful and not well-traveled

Traveler's surge forth on new adventures with curiosity about places and people along the way. They accept that our world and it's citizens are diverse and different....and embrace it.

Well' date=' that's the difference between "tourists" and "travelers". Attitudes and actions separate the "men from the boys" so to speak.

Tourists sit around and complain about the differences between "them" and "us"....they are usually fearful and not well-traveled

Traveler's surge forth on new adventures with curiosity about places and people along the way. They accept that our world and it's citizens are diverse and different....and embrace it.[/quote']

G'ma, I loved your response!! Very true.:)

momofmeg, shame on you for resurrecting this relic of a thread :). I darn near freaked out when I saw this thread, until I saw the date :D

Personally, I've never thought the islands look similar, they each hav their own unique characteristics.

momofmeg, shame on you for resurrecting this relic of a thread :). I darn near freaked out when I saw this thread, until I saw the date :D

Personally, I've never thought the islands look similar, they each hav their own unique characteristics.

I thought some of the new guys who felt we were unjust to our friend should see why all of us "oldies" jumped on him.

we will be going on our second cruise in a few weeks,now I know you say all the stuff on the islands comes from china,but we are going to grand cayman, cozumel, belize and roatan island, I would like to bring something back that is made by locals, not something tacky,any suggestions?I dont need anything huge, just a little something:D

Archived