Don't all the islands south of Florida really look the same?

I talk often to people on cruise ships who love to eat, drink, sit out by the pool, gamble, and go to shows. What they have no interest in is leaving the boat. Here is some of the comments I have heard:

Everything for sale is made in China and is junky tourist garbage

I do not want to be hassled by the natives (locals)

I do not like tenders, I will get sea sick

Every island is the same, a group of shanty towns and desperate people giving tours driving you around and around a group of palm trees.

Look at this place dear, it looks dirty and unsafe

It will cost me money to eat off the ship, here it is free. I will get sick eating and drinking the food on the island.

They do not speak English on the island. I do not want to go anywhere that people do not speak basic English

It is scary looking out there, lets stay on the ship

--------------------

Admit it, sometimes it is easier to be like one of these people and just stay on the ship. Don't you agree?

Hey, are you high-jacking my thread, "icon9.gifThe homogenization of the Caribbean", or are we just on the same wave-length?

I usually get off the ship, even for an hour or so. If it's a port I don't feel comfortable I'll book an excursion with the cruiseline. Sometimes, if it's a port I've been to before and I'm tired I may spend most of my time enjoying a quieter ship. We did that one in Costa Maya. Got off, looked at the over-priced junk got back on the ship and enjoyed the sunshine!

Conversationalist is AGAIN trying to stir things up. Check out his posts; he is very negative and loves to agitate the waters.

I agree, I can't take the thread seriously because it omits comments from the majority of cruisers who do like to visit ports and find them very interesting.

The islands, south of Florida, are quite varied- I've never seen a twin!

Have traveled to many of the islands- lots of beauty and some poverty- but not as much poverty as in some places, including the U.S. Take a train down the East Coast of the U.S. and you will see poverty and trash galore.

If people don't want to experience reality on a cruise or trip- they can fly to an all-inclusive!

I talk often to people on cruise ships who love to eat, drink, sit out by the pool, gamble, and go to shows. What they have no interest in is leaving the boat. Here is some of the comments I have heard:

Everything for sale is made in China and is junky tourist garbage

I do not want to be hassled by the natives (locals)

I do not like tenders, I will get sea sick

Every island is the same, a group of shanty towns and desperate people giving tours driving you around and around a group of palm trees.

Look at this place dear, it looks dirty and unsafe

It will cost me money to eat off the ship, here it is free. I will get sick eating and drinking the food on the island.

They do not speak English on the island. I do not want to go anywhere that people do not speak basic English

It is scary looking out there, lets stay on the ship

--------------------

Admit it, sometimes it is easier to be like one of these people and just stay on the ship. Don't you agree?

Another pot stirring post...check out all his posts....intended to scare people and stir up crap.

NO..I don't agree...I love the islands, the people, the culture, the food and feel safe exploring all that the islands have to offer.

Conversationalist is AGAIN trying to stir things up. Check out his posts; he is very negative and loves to agitate the waters.

We had one of these people on a Grand Bahama board I was on a lot. Just ignore they tend to get bored and go away eventually.

Another pot stirring post...check out all his posts....intended to scare people and stir up crap.

Agree.. Here is a listing of the posts he has started. Usually he posts once then wanders away letting the rest of the posters argue among themselves..

Is anyone shocked by the poverty on the islands that the cruise visits

Assigned tablemates were unfriendly and rude to us

Trapped in a cramped Regional Jet on the tarmac on the way to the cruise

Has anyone complained about noise from neighbors to ship security?

Who has the largest BAR BILL (wine, beer and mixed drinks) on their last cruise?

Are you tired of the formal restaurant at dinner by the end of the week?

Have you ever seen a "Celebrity" on a cruise?

I support the Airline Passenger Bill of Rights, do you?

I found Belize City to be ugly and depressing

After two hour wait at security and registration, we had to wait for photos!!

Anyone just leave the ship and hire the first person who approaches you for a tour?

What is the absolutely most beautiful Island a cruise ship will visit?

Does the loud music by the pool bother you while cruising?

Anyone else have problems with elevators on the Grand Princess?

Our Cruise Director was in hiding most of the trip

Did the fog, grey clouds, drizzle, and cold bother you on the Alaska cruise?

Tour Guide of Botanical Gardens kept saying, "DONT WORRY BE HAPPY"

I got claustrophobic in my cabin at night

Seven days on the ship without my Cell Phone, PDA and INTERNET.. is so strange

New Cruiser told me only NERDS go on shore excursions

People are not as sociable on Cruise Ships as they used to be

Ever used the pharmacy to get prescription meds at the Port of Calls?

Has anyone called home to the USA/Canada from one of those payphones at the ports?

Leaving cold Galveston TX, how long does it take the ship to get to tropical weather?

Princess transfer from Galveston to IAH was terrible

Not being able to get off the boat for the first 48 hours is scary

Anyone miss their cruise due to a flight delay?

How many miles an hour does a Cruise Ship go?

Arriving at Houston Intercontinental Airport the next before, Hotel Advice Needed

I had a major claustrophobic (panic/anxiety) attack on my last flight

Why is everyone so excited about meeting the Captain of the Cruise Ship?

Do Cruiselines still allow partial refunds if you disembark at the first Port of Call

Agree.. Here is a listing of the posts he has started. Usually he posts once then wanders away letting the rest of the posters argue among themselves..

Who has the largest BAR BILL (wine, beer and mixed drinks) on their last cruise?

Anyone just leave the ship and hire the first person who approaches you for a tour?

Has anyone called home to the USA/Canada from one of those payphones at the ports?

Leaving cold Galveston TX, how long does it take the ship to get to tropical weather?

Arriving at Houston Intercontinental Airport the next before, Hotel Advice Needed

Do Cruiselines still allow partial refunds if you disembark at the first Port of Call

there are more i remember, that i think mostly were removed..LOL....hehs had his fare share of deleted topics in the last few weeks.

It's hard to start that many threads and have only 59 posts in total. That reinforces the theory that he just wants to stir the pot vs. having a real discussion.

I can not believe someone had the time and desire to make a list of all my questions, amazing. I looked at the list and I thought they were an interesting group of questions and comments that have got people on this board talking and thinking.

More are on the way, I can assure you!

Ummmm.... Why don't you guys just ignore the threads you dislike and let them die? Every time you comment you just bump it up and he gets more attention. Besides I don't think they're as bad as the formal night attire and booze smuggling questions that are asked every day at least 10 times. This message board is very tame compared to many I hang out on but I still skip over the stuff that I know will annoy me. peace

AOS 3/25/07

Even if he is just "stirring the pot", he/she gets interesting subjects out there. Reminds me of the Coffee time from Saturday Night Live. Here's a topic, discuss it among yourselves. Mike Meyers cracks me up.

Even his handle (conversationist) says it all.

Even if he is just "stirring the pot", he/she gets interesting subjects out there. Reminds me of the Coffee time from Saturday Night Live. Here's a topic, discuss it among yourselves. Mike Meyers cracks me up.

Even his handle (conversationist) says it all.

I agree. Most of the topics listed were interesting and thought-provoking though there were some general bitch-fests, too. Isn't that how we all post?

I like debate that makes me think. To read others opinions when presented in a non "forced down my throat" manner is awesome. I have my topics that I am stubborn as an old goat about, but mostly I like to read and learn from others.

I can not believe someone had the time and desire to make a list of all my questions, amazing. I looked at the list and I thought they were an interesting group of questions and comments that have got people on this board talking and thinking.

More are on the way, I can assure you!

You are always so negative about things- that it stands out-and this is a 50 plus year old woman who does not have that great a memory anymore but I remember YOU.

All I can say if you feel this way-why in the world do you cruise????????? Gracious it is though you want to brainwash others into not liking to cruise-it may would work if I hadn't already taken 12 cruises! the only people you may convince is someone who has never cruised and is considering taking their first cruise. Anyone who has cruised is not going to be swayed by your posts as they have already experienced cruising.

If you ever made a NICE thread about things you like about crusing maybe we would not feel this way. (I am begining to wonder if you have REALLY taken a cruise myself-most of your posts sound more like you have done a little research on cruising but have never actually taken a cruise)

Ummmm.... Why don't you guys just ignore the threads you dislike and let them die? Every time you comment you just bump it up and he gets more attention. Besides I don't think they're as bad as the formal night attire and booze smuggling questions that are asked every day at least 10 times. This message board is very tame compared to many I hang out on but I still skip over the stuff that I know will annoy me. peace

AOS 3/25/07

LOL! and you bump it up yourself! NOT agood argument! Hey I don't mind reading conversationlist's stuff-he hasn't convinced me of anything-but he is very entertaining.

LOL! and you bump it up yourself! NOT agood argument! Hey I don't mind reading conversationlist's stuff-he hasn't convinced me of anything-but he is very entertaining.

I agree, he's very entertaining, but very negative! LOL I do laugh and bump up his threads because I think it's all in good fun ;). No, they do not look the same. Do all people look the same?

I agree, he's very entertaining, but very negative! LOL I do laugh and bump up his threads because I think it's all in good fun ;). No, they do not look the same. Do all people look the same?

I guess we need to start the thread..."Do all people south of Florida look the same?" in homage to the original poster...or is that "Do all people in South Florida look the same?" :rolleyes:

Maybe I'm dismayed because my cruise director hid in his cabin the whole time, and the heater in my cabin didn't work as we left cold Galveston, and to top it off, I nearly missed my ship due to a flight delay - being in a Regional Jet on the tarmac!!! - (and the Princess transfer from IAH to Galveston was really bad too !!)

It didn't help that I got claustrophobic in my cabin, but that beat the loud music by the pool. That surely got me the largest BAR BILL that week, after all those room service scotches! Eating in my room wasn't bad, especially since my assigned tablemates were rude to us!

Anyway, I was just glad that the cruise line gave me a partial refund after disembarking on the first Port of Call.

*bows*

I guess we need to start the thread..."Do all people south of Florida look the same?" in homage to the original poster...or is that "Do all people in South Florida look the same?" :rolleyes:

Maybe I'm dismayed because my cruise director hid in his cabin the whole time, and the heater in my cabin didn't work as we left cold Galveston, and to top it off, I nearly missed my ship due to a flight delay - being in a Regional Jet on the tarmac!!! - (and the Princess transfer from IAH to Galveston was really bad too !!)

It didn't help that I got claustrophobic in my cabin, but that beat the loud music by the pool. That surely got me the largest BAR BILL that week, after all those room service scotches! Eating in my room wasn't bad, especially since my assigned tablemates were rude to us!

Anyway, I was just glad that the cruise line gave me a partial refund after disembarking on the first Port of Call.

*bows*

BRAVO!!!! ROTFLMAO!!! How big was that bar bill?;)

I think conversationlist should have called himself debater or maybe complainer! But as I said his stuff does not bother me-because I know it is not true!

*bows*

Too funny! and if conversationilist feels all caribbean islands are the same-he could go to Bermuda, alaska, the mexican riveria, Hawaii and many other areas of the world on a crusieship.

Personally, I have done 10 cruises to the caribbean, (4 eastern, 5 western and one southern) but I love the ship and my hubby loves scuba diving and he does not mind if the islands are simliar! the other 2 cruises we have taken were to Bermuda and Alaska. This fall we will take our first Transatlantic and we hope to one day cruise Hawaii and the Mexican Riveria-but we won't go to those areas as often; as we live in Georgia and we are closer to the caribbean-but that's okay-I still love being on ship and hubby still loves to scuba dive-so we will still take our yearly cruise for our vacation as that makes both of us happy! and then about every 5 years-we take a cruise that is extra nice!

Archived