Maasdam -- CODE RED

Krazy Kruizers

One thing that was done on this ship and not on any of the others that we have been on when the Virus broke out, besides the paper towels in the restroom, they also had a container of handi-wipes with a note on it that you should use one to open the bathroom door after washing your hands. Great idea -- but -- once you got outside the restroom, there wasn't any open garbage can to drop the handi-wipe into!!!

Sorry but I have to respond to funnydaddy's remarks...

who do you consider to be the new "slobs" cruising on HAL?

Since we have only sailed 4X is that us? I can tell you on our alaka sailing last year...my wife and I and our 2 girls were in the MINORITY of people USING the PURELL dispensers when we were in the lido or entering the dining room. Of the more seasoned cruisers around us or should I say walking by us in the dining room as we stopped at the dispenser or cutting in front of us on the lido line. I hope you are in the minority as far as your opinion of those cruising who are going to be HAL's next generation of passengers. Believe me - my wife has a gastrointestinal disease - so getting noro could cause her to be hospitalized...so please refrain from passing judgement on those "new" slobs - whoever you deem them to be. A passenger is a passenger - no matter if its their 1st HAL cruise or their 17th.

Funnydaddy is probably referring to me.

Although I don't spit, I have been known to fart, sometimes even accidently. I always thought that I got away with it. Damn.

I'm on the 25 Mar Maasdam sailing and will be on my best behaviour and will always check my six before sneaking one out!

Funnydaddy is probably referring to me.

Although I don't spit, I have been known to fart, sometimes even accidently. I always thought that I got away with it. Damn.

I'm on the 25 Mar Maasdam sailing and will be on my best behaviour and will always check my six before sneaking one out!

Oh put a plug in it, will ya. :) :) :)

Sorry but I have to respond to funnydaddy's remarks ...who do you consider to be the new "slobs" cruising on HAL?

Since we have only sailed 4X is that us? I can tell you on our alaka sailing last year...my wife and I and our 2 girls were in the MINORITY of people USING the PURELL dispensers when we were in the lido or entering the dining room. Of the more seasoned cruisers around us or should I say walking by us in the dining room as we stopped at the dispenser or cutting in front of us on the lido line. I hope you are in the minority as far as your opinion of those cruising who are going to be HAL's next generation of passengers. Believe me - my wife has a gastrointestinal disease - so getting noro could cause her to be hospitalized...so please refrain from passing judgement on those "new" slobs - whoever you deem them to be. A passenger is a passenger - no matter if its their 1st HAL cruise or their 17th.

Don't worry, unless of course, you're from the Northeast, and specifically, Massachusetts. According to FD (in another post/thread) those of us from Massachusetts are the culprits. :rolleyes:

I'm sorry to hear you experienced a Code Red - we disembarked the Maasdam on the 23rd. Everything was peachy-keen while we were onboard, but we were all making sure we kept our hands washed, Purell-ed, etc. I'm happy to hear you weren't affected by the Noro-virus. We've had it at my school and closed one of our hospitals to patients only because of it. Other than the Code Red, how was the rest of your trip?

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

I work in an ER and the virus is far from limited to ships. It is a very nasty bug, which the flu shot will not prevent. People just have to be diligent in washing their hands everytime they go to the bathroom.

Oh by the way we refer to it as a code brown.:o

If it wants you it will find you.

We sailed on the Maasdam 5th-15th and thought we had weathered the storm but we were wrong. Luckily we had flown directly home as it hit my DH in the middle of our first night home. I can't imagine if we had been airborne how it would have been managed.

We were very careful in the hand washing department etc. Know enough even to sing "Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star" when washing. We used the cleaners whenever available etc. We wonder if it was picked up from the money we got at the front desk to pay our tips.

Then I got it. I thought I had taken every precaution at home but alas it got me too. I can tell you it was not from not washing my hands and everything else in sight. Having googled it I think my mistake was in not using gloves.

My real concern is that I have reported our illness to HAL and only asked for an update on the outbreak and have heard nothing. I don't expect anything special but would like them to acknowledge we have been added to their numbers.

I work in an ER and the virus is far from limited to ships. It is a very nasty bug, which the flu shot will not prevent. People just have to be diligent in washing their hands everytime they go to the bathroom.

Oh by the way we refer to it as a code brown.:o

Ahhhh the old Code Browns! I am a nurse and it just tickled me when you mentioned that.:) Brings back some real memories.

You are so right, this is a very nasty bug both on land and sea. My DH is a physician and has seen a ton of cases recently. I have noticed the grocery stores in our city are at least making an effort by placing clorox wipes at the front of the store to wipe off the grocery cart handles.

Thanks to everyone for keeping up on the handwashing!

Linda

Archived