Help Me Out On This One...

joanagain

this year, i will be sailing on my third cruise...all with HAL...as i look forward to cruising in '05, i feel i am ready now to "branch" out ...can someone with HAL experience tell me why radisson is a good comparative choice...or should i look elsewhere...i am not a party person, but i do like people.

I've done a few HALs (Maasdam and Zuiderdam) and one Radisson Voyager and one Radisson Paul Gauguin, going on the Gauguin again in a month.

IMHO, The suite life on HAL compares to cheap cabins on Radisson, except Radisson does it better. Food-wise, the Odyssey/Pinnacle on a good night on HAL is as close as you'll see to the standard Radisson dining venue (but Radisson is MUCH better in their specialty restaurants), including waiter service, except that on Radisson, the wine/beer is included.

Yes, Radisson is more expensive, but, when all is figured in (no tipping, free soda/water/wine/beer, free stateroom bar setup, superb service and amenities) and just the general class of the staff and crew, makes it worth the difference.

I love Radisson and have been on several HAL trips.. Radisson does everything much better and they are smaller ships with much more personal service..you may also want to check out Oceania Cruises for longer cruises and a little less money..also much better service, food etc. than HAL..

Jan

A cruise on RSSC is not to be compared with an HAL cruise. I love HAL and will be on the Zuiderdam, August 14, the second time in six months.

An RSSC cruise is the pinnacle of cruising. HAL is the better half of the mass market of cruising. An RSSC cruise is at first glance much more expensive - an HAL cruise ends up being comparative in cost based on the obvious factors including tipping, drinks and amenities.

If you had a choice to drive a Bentley for a week as opposed to a Lincoln (which would save you about $60.00), I would pass on the Lincoln and take the Bentley. The extra expense is worth the investment.

HAL is a cruise line in transition. Their focus is (a) in attemtping to retain their age-old traditional clientele while at the same time (b) establish their identity as a new and contemporary cruise brand (through the inception of their Vista-Class ships) without compromising service or quality. Remarkably, the product they deliver is well above average and I found some similarities to an upscale - five star line. It's just the fact that with over 2,000 weekly passengers and budgets that are so carefully scrutinized based on corporate earnings they (HAL) will never be a 5 star line.

When I boarded the RSSC Voyager for my cruise, I new immediately that this was a cruise experience unlike any other. My category H suite with the walk in closet, seperate shower and bath, leather, wood and everything else that made me feel like royalty was something no mass brand could ever achieve or deliver.

So, don't compare but pursue. The dream cruise will be with RSSC - the memorable one will be with HAL.

compared to HAL,

radisson is a bit pricey...don't know if i want to pay for all that luxury...but i did want to know what that much geld bought...thanks a lot for your opinions and i will keep Radisson in mind as a step-up alternative.

Joanagian:

In an opposite comparison, we are regular Radisson cruisers, and I wanted to calculate how much we could save be taking HAL or Oceaninia. First, I took the square footage of the lowest priced suite on the Voyager or the Mariner, then selected a comparably sized suite on the other two lines. Then I factored in the tips and included soft and hard drinks included on Radisson. Then, I compared the cost of a cruise, all things duplicated, on these other two lines. In doing so, I looked at the "specials" the lines were offering. All said and done, I found Radisson the CHEAPER of the three. And, oh, yeah, also the better of the three!

Thanks,

Richard

I too am coming from HAL to Radisson, and I look forward to the new experience. We are booking the November 8, 2005 26 day RT from Los Angles to the South Pacific on the Navigator.

Archived