NCL Honolulu pier changes effective 3/17/07

SweetEmi

I found this on the home page at NCL.com when I went there to see if maybe they bumped me to a better room (wishful thinking)...

Honolulu Pier Change effective 3/17/07

Miami - March 14, 2007 ---

Please be advised that beginning March 17,2007, Pride of Aloha, Pride of America, Pride of Hawaii and Wednesday sailings of Norwegian Wind will be departing from the Pier 2 Cruise Terminal at the Honolulu Harbor. The pier is located at the end of Channel Street at 521 Ala Moana Blvd, and is adjacent to the Foreign Trade Zone #9.

Saturday sailings of Norwegian Wind will continue to depart from Pier 10/11 Aloha Tower Market Place.

Emi

So with the pier change, can anyone suggest what car rental agency may be nearest? We want to get off the Pride of America on Sat., Apr. 7 and head to Pearl Harbor and the Arizona right away. Didn't know if one car rental over another has a close location to pick up a rental, or if there is a quicker way to get to Pearl Harbor and then pick up a car somewhere near there. Since we don't leave until 10:30 p.m., figured a car would keep options open since we are traveling with kids 15 & 11. Didn't think they would enjoy a 10 hour tour!

Thanks for any suggestions you can make!

From what I gather the piers are only 1/4 mile apart and the car rental agencies I believe will just shuttle you to the same places regardless - which are near the airport. At least that has been my experience.

Emi

In another thread on this site related to Chinatown, a poster mentions that there is a shuttle that runs between pier 2 and the Aloha Tower. Not that I'd be reading that rather than working....

Thanks Deb - That good enough for me; its the extra 1/2 mile that was killing me!!!!!!

Yes...from what I'm thinking and reading, it will be about 1/4 mile further from Pier 2 to Chinatown than from Aloha Tower.

Lol!! I'm too slow - well, you got your answer and that's what counts. *smile*

Emi

NCL called us this week and told us that the POA would be sailing from the new Pier 2. We plan to take a taxi from the pier and go to Pearl Harbor and then taxi back to the airport on our departure day. Does anyone know what a taxi fare would be from pier to Pearl and or from Pearl back to airport? We thought this would be cheaper and easier than a rental car. We leave 3/18!!:) :)

Wow that was nice of them...can you imagine having to call all the people on all four ships!?!

As for being cheaper taking a cab than getting a rental car, I'm thinking it would be cheaper to rent a car than to take a cab both ways. The cab fare from the airport to the pier in November was either $26 plus tip or $26 with the tip I forget which...but you can sometimes rent a whole car for just a little more than that. However, it would probably be more convenient to take a cab if you were just going to rent it for that trip.

Emi

lakelady01,

What are you going to do with your luggage? I'm guessing you are sending it to the airport?? If you have that resolved, another option would be theBUS, only $2 pp and buses run frequently and pier2 is only a short distance from bus stops. Don't forget that the Arizona Memorial has strict rules forbidding purses, bags etc. There is a place right next to the Memorial building that will store purses and small bags for a fee, $3 per item. While the taxi to Pearl might be about $30, from Pearl back to the airport would probably be half of that

Dan: I was wondering about the bus and figured someone who probably know. That brings up a good point though that at Pier 2 as far as I know there is no where to store your luggage like at the Aloha Tower.

How does one "send" one's luggage to the airport?

Emi

Emi,

I guess I imagined reading a reply about being able to check in for a flight at the cruise terminal. Maybe that was something that was done in the past. Anyway, I hope lakelady01 realizes that she will have to worry about luggage.

NCL has a program ...... I believe it's called Easy Fly ..... where you can have your luggage sent to the airport for $20 per person. You place your luggage outside your cabin door the night before departure like everyone else, but then you don't see your luggage again until you reach the baggage claim area at your destination airport. As I recall, the program only applies to select airlines ............... I know American Airlines participates, for one.

Dan: Well, I guess there is a way sometimes then per JK...that's really nice to know. I was wondering and that is something I would gladly pay $20 for to be taken care of for me - gonna make a note about that. Wish they would do it to the ship too.

Thanks JK!

Emi

Thanks for the info, it's tough to vaguely remember something and then not find it, although I'm slowly getting used to it:)

Emi, Are you stopping at lodge 616 on your trip? I'd love to know what happened to their web site.

Dan: No I have to jet over and jet back due to work. Something happened to their website? Maybe you already told me that. *smile* I could ask Annette to ask someone if she talks to someone over there.

Oh...also isn't United sister airlines with either Aloha or Hawaiian?? And if so - can you do it for that airline too??

Emi

Archived